FORUMS: list search recent posts

Details with temp files

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Details with temp files
on May 25, 2014 at 6:27:18 am

One of the options in Vegas is to put all of your temp files in one location so I create a folder on a separate drive. I usually work entirely with the vision only & end up going back to the audio files since I tend to not use many them. Is it possible to not create these files only when I need them?

I open the folder that contains the video files that I wish to work on & select every one that I think I might possibly use in my project & ask that it be added to project media. When you go to project media file wanting to select some additional files for the timeline I find that all of the temp files appear here so you end up having to scroll through a very long list to see what you require.

Is there a better way or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: Details with temp files
on May 25, 2014 at 3:25:52 pm

I've read your post many times and am completely confused about your workflow and goal.

Why are you even considering the temp folder? This is where Vegas put temporary files that the program crates as needed and they are deleted when you exit the program. Programmers call it a scratchpad.

Here's how I work - and remember there are at least two ways to do anything in Vegas.
In Windows, I create a project folder, and a capture subfolder. All of the raw camera files go into the capture folder. I select all the media in the capture folder and drag it to the Project Media window.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Details with temp files
on May 25, 2014 at 5:12:32 pm

[Paul Gregory] "One of the options in Vegas is to put all of your temp files in one location so I create a folder on a separate drive. I usually work entirely with the vision only & end up going back to the audio files since I tend to not use many them. Is it possible to not create these files only when I need them?"
I think you are confusing temporary files with metadata files. I assume you are referring to the .sfk files that Vegas creates for audio that is associated with a project. These are not temporary files. These are metadata about the waveform of the file and Vegas uses these to draw the waveform on the timeline. It never deletes them unlike temporary files that are... well... temporary and get deleted after a session of over.

These files cannot be placed in another location. They must reside with the audio file they belong to. If you delete them, they will get recreated when they are needed again but they are not temporary.
[Paul Gregory] "Is there a better way or am I missing something?"
VASST Media Tool ($9.95 USD) has function to remove these files so you could use that to clean them out until you start working with the audio. You can remove them from a single folder, or an entire drive. An alternate approach is to sort your files by extension and this will place all of the SFK files together and away from your media files in the file list so that they don't get in your way. A third way is to access your files from within Vegas using the Vegas Explorer Window. It will exclude listing these files so that you don't see them.

You might want to make a suggestion to Sony to fix this problem. Everyone complains about it and programs like Final Cut Pro X have fixed it by hiding all of this metadata from it's users, so it is possible to fix with the right design. Sony just needs to hear from enough people to acknowledge that it is a problem and want to fix it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for VASST and wrote Media Tool. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]