FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 10 and rendering to Quicktime.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob James
Sony Vegas 10 and rendering to Quicktime.
on May 24, 2014 at 11:02:19 pm

I've read most of what you guys have written about Vegas and Quicktime. I'm guessing there is no change on that front? My client needs the first draft sent in Quicktime format, and I'm completely at a loss. First Vegas said I didn't have Quicktime installed and I needed at least 7.1.6, so I installed 7.75. Now when I try to render that error message is gone, but the render screen only appears for a split second, and nothing gets rendered. Is there a certain version of Quicktime that will play nice with Vegas 10, or am I fighting a losing battle? As a last resort I tried to render out to Sony AVC mp4, but it's a format I can't play back for some reason, is there a codec that might allow that? Basically I need a format that can be viewed effortlessly on a Mac, and something I can also see on a PC, to check for flaws. Any ideas?

Rob,
http://www.robjames.net

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
Re: Sony Vegas 10 and rendering to Quicktime.
on May 25, 2014 at 3:38:39 am

I have no problems with Vegas 10.e (64 bit) and QT 7.7.2 rendering to QT Animation, PhotoJPG, or PNG at 1080 or 720. Make sure the output file uses a physical drive letter, not a MAPped or SUBST-d drive letter. I've seen that exact phenomena before (Render dialog closes immediately and no output file generated).

Return to posts index

Rob James
on May 25, 2014 at 4:19:20 pm

First of all thanks Tyson, for taking the time to respond....appreciated! I'm using Vegas 10.0a (build 387) 32-bit and Quicktime 7.7.5 on an XP Pro SP3 system. I am rendering the file to a physical hard drive G: Vegas was asking for QT 7.1.6 before I installed QT, maybe I have to try and find that exact version? I'll let you know if that resolves the issue. I have never had any problems rendering out to any other format I've tried in the past. Maybe I need QT Pro? As this QT seems to just be the Player......any thoughts?

Rob,

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 25, 2014 at 3:48:48 am

[Rob James] "Is there a certain version of Quicktime that will play nice with Vegas 10, or am I fighting a losing battle?"
You need to use the version of QuickTime that was available when Vegas Pro 10 was written. There was a change to QuickTime at one point that broke Vegas Pro and Sony fixed it but of course, older versions of Vegas will not have the fix. I forget if Vegas Pro 10 was affected but you might try installation the version of QuickTime that Sony recommends and not something newer.
[Rob James] "As a last resort I tried to render out to Sony AVC mp4, but it's a format I can't play back for some reason"
Then there is something seriously wrong with your computer or you are using an old version of Windows XP or something because every modern version of Windows can play MP4 files just fine.
[Rob James] "Basically I need a format that can be viewed effortlessly on a Mac, and something I can also see on a PC, to check for flaws. Any ideas?"
Render to Sony AVC and give the MP4 file to your Mac friends. It should play just fine for them. You need to figure out why MP4 files can't play for you (they should).

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rob James
on May 25, 2014 at 4:33:52 pm

John, thanks for chiming in....always excellent advice from you. I'm on XP Pro SP3 so I'm not sure if that supports .mp4 or not? I'll try to find a codex that will make it work. Research is required. It's probably going to be impossible to track down what precise version of QT Vegas 10.0a (387) wants, looks like I'm forced into the never-ending updating scheme of modern Developers. God, how I HATE that!! Just give me on solid working piece of software that I can work with for the rest of my life......is that too much to ask?? Of course it is!! I skipped the whole Vegas 11 updates, because of the horror stories I read here, and just avoided Vegas 12 because 10 was rock solid for me. Last thing I needed are things falling apart in the middle of a session. Anyways, enough ranting from me. I'll try to sort out my issues, with all the advice from you kind Gentlemen. Who would have thought it would be such a struggle to deliver Product to Mac users?

Rob,

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 25, 2014 at 6:38:07 pm

[Rob James] "I'm on XP Pro SP3 so I'm not sure if that supports .mp4 or not?"
XP itself doesn't support MP4 but QuickTime on XP supports MP4 so you need to get QuickTime working. However, you have a bigger problem:

Main stream support for Windows XP ended on April 14, 2009 over 5 years ago! Corporate support (meaning "paid support" which I'm sure you didn't have a contract for) ended April 8, 2014. So support for Windows XP has ended. You need to seriously consider putting a plan in place to upgrade your computer because right now, no one is even testing if things work on XP anymore. This is probably why the newest QuickTime doesn't work. That's not a good position for your business to be in. I also hope your XP computer isn't connected to the Internet because no one will be fixing vulnerabilities either. You really need to get off of it as quickly as possible.
[Rob James] "It's probably going to be impossible to track down what precise version of QT Vegas 10.0a (387) wants, looks like I'm forced into the never-ending updating scheme of modern Developers."
So Rob... the latest version of Vegas Pro 10.0 is 10.0e Build 738. You are on 10.0a Build 387? Which means that you are dealing with all of the bugs that Sony found in 10.0a, 10.0b, 10.0c, and 10.0d. I would strongly recommend that you at least get current with the software you already own. Download Vegas Pro 10.0e (Build 738) and see if it fixes your problem.

As far as what version of QuickTime that Vegas Pro 10.0e (Build 738) works with, I can confirm that it works perfectly fine for me with the latest QuickTime 7.7.5 (1680.95.13) on Windows 7 64-bit. Notice I didn't say XP, I said Windows 7. So neither Vegas Pro nor QuickTime seem to be the problem here (are you seeing a "theme" start to emerge?). It looks like your problem is that newer software is starting to not work with XP anymore (it's only three generations behind!). You really need to upgrade your OS if you want to stay in business.

I also did some testing on XP. My records indicate that QuickTime 7.6.2 was the latest version that would work on XP with Vegas Pro 8.0. BTW, Vegas Pro 8.0 can make MP4 files that play fine on XP with QuickTime so I'm assuming Vegas Pro 10.0 can as well. It may be that QuickTime 7.6.2 will also work for you in Vegas Pro 10.0 on XP. Download it from the link above and see if it fixes your problem.
[Rob James] "Who would have thought it would be such a struggle to deliver Product to Mac users?"
Who would have thought that 12 years after it's introduction and 5 years after it's commercial end of life, people would still not get the message that XP is dead! ;-) Seriously though, you need to get off of Windows XP.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on May 25, 2014 at 8:12:37 pm

I'll second that.
Windows 7, Vegas 10e (64 bit) and QT 7.7.2 work fine.
Windows 8 ... or preferably 8.1 should be fine as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]