FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Properties - is it necessary to deinterlace 1080p HD video for YouTube?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Arden
Project Properties - is it necessary to deinterlace 1080p HD video for YouTube?
on May 23, 2014 at 5:04:17 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post on Creative Cow so I hope I'm clear enough. I have an issue deciding whether or not to deinterlace in my project properties.

I'm working with 1080p HD video shot at 25fps on a Canon 550D. I'm outputting using the MainConcept AVC with the intention of uploading a music video to YouTube.

My understanding is that blending fields can be a good idea to retain detail, but interpolating fields can work well for sports/fast motion.

However, seeing as the video is progressive, is it even necessary to deinterlace? Or is this something only to consider if my source footage is 1080i?

I can provide more information on project settings / render settings if needed.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Project Properties - is it necessary to deinterlace 1080p HD video for YouTube?
on May 23, 2014 at 5:33:55 pm

"is it necessary to deinterlace 1080p HD video for YouTube?"
No its not...

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

James Arden
Re: Project Properties - is it necessary to deinterlace 1080p HD video for YouTube?
on May 23, 2014 at 5:38:19 pm

I've come across some users stating you should leave 'deinterlacing method' on blending even when rendering 1080p...any reason?

Return to posts index

Scott Simpson
on May 23, 2014 at 6:52:05 pm

If you're rending 1080p to 1080p to the same framerate as the source, there will be (or should be) no interlacing or blending at any step of the process. There's nothing to deinterlace -- it's a progressive frame being spit out as another progressive frame. If someone's telling you it's important to set a certain deinterlace method in that case, I'd ask them to explain why....odds are they'll tell you "because I've always done it that way" or "I read somewhere that you should."

Honestly, I've seen a lot of straight-up bad rendering and project settings advice on YouTube, some forums, and some web sites. Much of it appears to be based on someone somewhere making a good video, possibly by accident, and sharing their settings...with others copying that effort and offering their own trial-and-error improvements.

Keep it simple: Know when to match your media settings, know the right format for your destination, and seek to do the minimum damage to your picture quality along the way.

---
Radio guy in a TV world. Bigasssuperstar.com

Return to posts index

James Arden
on May 23, 2014 at 8:36:23 pm

Thanks Scott - I thought as much, but great to hear it put so succinctly.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 23, 2014 at 9:54:54 pm

[James Arden] "I've come across some users stating you should leave 'deinterlacing method' on blending even when rendering 1080p...any reason?"
Yes, because it doesn't matter. The deinterlace method will only be used if you need to deinterlace your video. If your source is progressive and your project is progressive and your render is progressive, Vegas Pro will never use the Deinterlace Method so why bother changing it. The default is Blend Fields and it's a good idea to leave it at that just in case you should drop some interlaced video onto your timeline at a future date and not realize it. It's kind of a "better safe than sorry" thing.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 24, 2014 at 1:07:54 am

I gave you a quick expert response on the subject, in a simple
response that it really doesn't matter.....who are those users?
You cant just follow everyone!

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]