FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas PRO12 on a Bootcamped Mac -- can you recommend a reverb / compressor

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam rosenthal
Vegas PRO12 on a Bootcamped Mac -- can you recommend a reverb / compressor
on May 20, 2014 at 3:15:28 pm

Hi all. I have been using Vegas for audio recording for 12+ years. Last year I got the latest iMac and installed Vegas PRO12 for video, running in the Bootcamp environment. This month, I began using PRO12 for audio as well.

Vegas works fine; however, my Waves L1 Maximizer no longer appeared as a plug-in option. Figuring it was compatibility issues between the 12-year-old-Waves + new 64bit Vegas, I bought the L2 Maximizer from the Waves site. I had the same problem (not appearing as a plug-in option). After much dicking around, I was informed by Waves, "Please note, Bootcamped Mac is not oficially supported with Waves products, as it can produce various issues."

Since then, I bought iZotope Alloy2, which does appear as an option and works fine. I've tried installing two free reverbs, yet both do not appear as a plug-in option. Some things work, most do not.

Now. finally, my question: Do you have a recommendation on a free (or low priced) reverb that will work with on a Bootcamped Mac? And what about a very simple - but effective - compressor?

Thanks

Sam

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas PRO12 on a Bootcamped Mac -- can you recommend a reverb / compressor
on May 23, 2014 at 12:25:17 pm

[Sam rosenthal] "I was informed by Waves, "Please note, Bootcamped Mac is not oficially supported with Waves products, as it can produce various issues.""
I don't see why Waves plug-ins wouldn't work with Bootcamp. It's a just a Windows computer at that point; there is nothing "Mac" about it other than the motherboard. That's really strange but Waves is really strange. They seem to have some surrogate process that all of the plug-ins go through. It's as if they were too lazy to create "real" native versions and they "fake" it out somehow. I don't like the way they handle it because I've had a lot of installation problems with Waves plug-ins not showing up on my 100% Windows computer. I think they're just making excuses for their horrible installer technology. I don't think this has anything to do with Bootcamp because I've personally experienced this problem of their plug-ins not showing up in Vegas Pro on my non-Bootcamp PC's.

While I do have a Bootcamp Mac Pro, I have all of my Waves plug-ins running on OS X. I do all of my audio work in Logic Pro X or ProTools on OS X. The only reason I have Bootcamp is for Vegas Pro and if Sony ever makes a Mac version of Vegas Pro the Bootcamp partition will be deleted.
[Sam rosenthal] "Now. finally, my question: Do you have a recommendation on a free (or low priced) reverb that will work with on a Bootcamped Mac? And what about a very simple - but effective - compressor?"
I really like the IK Multimedia T-Racks plug-ins. The Classic Studio Reverb is really sweet. Their Vintage Compressor that emulates a Fairchild 670 is really nice and I use the Brick Wall Limiter a lot. They have several bundles at different price points and then you can added additional plug-ins separately. They also run sales a lot so look for a sale. Maybe they'll have a Memorial Day sale? I usually pick up the singles when they're on sale.

I don't know if they work on a Bootcamp Mac because, as I said, I use them in OS X and on my Windows workstation but not in the bootcamp partition of my Mac Pro. I don't see why they wouldn't work. The good news is you can download a trial and see if it works on your Bootcamped Windows so you can use them before you buy them.

If you are looking for free plug-ins there was a set of plug-ins by Kjaerhus Audio called the Classic Series that are really good. Unfortunately Kjaerhus Audio is no more and you have to Google around to find sites that still host them for download. Here is one site that seems to have the installer: Acoustica.com.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]