FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu Ray Video Slideshow Picture Scan Size

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
Blu Ray Video Slideshow Picture Scan Size
on May 19, 2014 at 9:58:38 pm

I haven't really don't much in the way of Blu Ray. My specialty is transferring old analog home movies so there really hasn't been that need.
However, I have a customer who said they scanned a bunch of pics at a "very high resolution" and wants a video slideshow on blu ray.
Is it necessary to have these scanned at a high resolution? I normally scan at 600 dpi for pictures.
I have found if I go much higher, Vegas will crash.

Thank you in advance. I haven't been on here for over a year, and now I have had two questions in a week :)

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
Re: Blu Ray Video Slideshow Picture Scan Size
on May 20, 2014 at 12:40:17 am

DPI is meaningful for print resolutions, but not really how you measure for video. Blu-ray video is 1920x1080, 1440x1080, or 1280 X 720 pixels.

If you are doing a simple slide show, you need not go any higher. Of course, that can get pretty boring, so it's pretty common to animate photos a bit, by panning, zooming, and other effects... Google "The Ken Burns Effect" for some more information; these kinds of things are part of how Ken Burns turns photos and stories into compelling historical documentaries.

Here's an example of one I made with my Dad's photos... most of these were 6-8 Megapixel DSLR images:

-Dave

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Blu Ray Video Slideshow Picture Scan Size
on May 20, 2014 at 1:28:25 am

Linda, my very simple rule of thumb for scanning images is that 1" = 100 pixels at 100 dpi. Therefore a 4" X 6" image scanned at 150 dpi = 600 pixels X 900 pixels. This was fine for SD video work (720 x 480) as it allowed me a bit of room to zoom in on an image if I wanted to.
Using this same rule for you, 600 dpi on a 4 x 6 image would give you 2400 x 3600 pixels which is a bit of overkill but still ok as it gives you a bit of room to zoom and pan if desired.
If the client gives you anything larger than that, you can use a free tool like Irfanview to do a batch resize on all the images.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]