FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Capture file size observation / question

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Roselli
DV Capture file size observation / question
on May 16, 2014 at 2:50:14 am

I use my Sony digital video camera recorder DCR-PC1 to play back miniDV tapes for capture on my computer using VirtualDub instead of Vegas due to a Corel conflict in the Vegas capture settings (more on that later, errr). I connect the camera via two possible methods 1) FireWire and 2)Startech USB video capture cable.

The same 1 hour tape captured using both methods creates much different file sizes. Both avi(uncompressed), but FireWire is 13GB - 28Mbps and the USB/S-video is 67GB - 147Mbps.

1. Why does this occur? What is the difference, bitrate?

2. The uncompressed avi file gets edited in Vegas and rendered out. Is the larger file higher quality and therefore preferable to work with?

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: DV Capture file size observation / question
on May 16, 2014 at 9:37:53 am

Short answer:
1) yes
2) no

p.s. always use FireWire for capturing DV tapes. You can use third-party DV-capture utilities, eg. WinDV

Return to posts index

Mark Roselli
on May 16, 2014 at 12:08:54 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 16, 2014 at 10:18:43 am

[Mark Roselli] "FireWire is 13GB - 28Mbps and the USB/S-video is 67GB - 147Mbps 1. Why does this occur? What is the difference, bitrate?"
The Firewire port is delivering full quality video directly from the tape bit-for-bit and is what you should be using. The USB port is delivering web camera video and should only be used if you want to use your camera as a web cam.
[Mark Roselli] "2. The uncompressed avi file gets edited in Vegas and rendered out. Is the larger file higher quality and therefore preferable to work with?"
The file is not uncompressed. The file i using the DV25 codec which is about 5:1 compression. Yes this is what you should be using to edit. It's the full quality footage that you shot with your camera.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mark Roselli
on May 16, 2014 at 12:09:30 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]