FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas File Disappears from Computer after Crashing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Debbie King
Vegas File Disappears from Computer after Crashing
on May 15, 2014 at 9:37:08 am

Hello All:

This is very alarming. I do backups on various drives as I work, but I am still concerned that lately (today specifically) when my Vegas crashes, it wipes out the file from my computer. I usually work from my desktop and save in other drives throughout my work.

Has anyone ever had any experiences like this? If so, how do you find the file? What's really odd is that when I open it in the other drive and resave it on the desktop, it does not ask me if I want to replace the file. This means that it is nowhere on the computer. Also, when this happens, I get a blank icon that reads tmp or bak, but I do not know how to open it, since it is not a Vegas file.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Vegas File Disappears from Computer after Crashing
on May 15, 2014 at 2:49:51 pm

I hope this isn't the case, but you might have a hard drive that is physically failing. Is the drive that stores this missing file an SSD or a 'normal' hard drive? If it's a normal hard drive, go into the drive's 'Tools' and have it do a scan. This will let you know if you have a bad spot on the platter. If it's an SSD, there are no spinning platters so it might have a bad chip.

Dave

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 15, 2014 at 4:03:11 pm

Hi Dave:

I believe it's a normal hard drive. I save it on the C drive. My computer has an SSD, but I don't know how to save my work on it. Any advise?

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on May 16, 2014 at 7:53:17 pm

So you are saying that your main hard drive (the C drive) is an SSD drive. Does your computer have any other hard drives that you can save project files to? Most of us only have the operating system on the hard drive, and some also install Vegas on that same drive (which is fine, especially if it's an SSD) and have a separate hard drive (D drive, for example) where we store/save Vegas project files.

Are you project media files (audio & video files) also stored on the '
C' drive?

If your computer has only one hard drive, I highly recommend getting a second hard drive for your video files, and your Vegas projects. You'll want to make sure you have a complete understanding of your system hardware: what you have and what you do not have, inside the box.

Dave

Return to posts index

Debbie King
on May 16, 2014 at 8:56:41 pm

Hi Dave:

I am not having the problem anymore, but I do have a D drive that I save all of my projects on, along with the other external hard drives. I don't know what happened before when my project was disappearing. I wish I could explain it better.

Many thanks,

Debbie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]