FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to retain video effects and quality of video in Sony Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tiffany Klaus
How to retain video effects and quality of video in Sony Vegas?
on May 14, 2014 at 3:04:02 am

My input files that I am working with are .MTS files (AVCHD). They are interlaced.

These are my project properties:
Video
Template: Custom (1440x1080, 29.970 fps)
Field Order: None (progressive scan)
Pixel aspect ratio: 1.3333 (HDV 1080)
Frame rate: 29.970 (NTSC)
Pixel Format: 8-bit
Full-resolution rendering quality: Good
Motion Blur type: Gaussian
Deinterlace Method: Interpolate Fields/Blend Fields (no difference because they sort of turn out the same still with the horizontal lines)

The film effects I used are film grain effect, fill light, color corrector, color curves, and soft contrast. NOTE: This video was for my film class and it is suppose to have an "old" film feel to it.

Basically, I want my video to look like my preview when I was editing. I also don't want the quality of the video to be degraded. I tried rendering in AVCHD but most of my effects didn't stay and there were still horizontal lines. I also tried rendering in MainConcept AVC, Sony AVC, and WMV but it all turned out degraded and also film effects didn't stay and horizontal lines were still there.

Much help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: How to retain video effects and quality of video in Sony Vegas?
on May 14, 2014 at 3:46:00 am

AVCHD is interlaced video but you have your project properties set to progressive. I would have your project properties match your source video (Upper). In fact, I wouldn't use custom propeties at all. Just select the proper template for your camera that Sony provides. Also keep your Deinterlace Method on Blend Fields. Then render to Sony AVC or MainConcept AVC using one of the Internet HD 30p templates and it should look fine.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 14, 2014 at 7:21:35 pm

If I rendered it to the mainconcept AVC Internet HD 1080 template, what bitrate, field order, profile, and pixel aspect ratio should I adjust it to? Also, should I enable progressive download?

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on May 14, 2014 at 8:44:11 pm

Tiffany,

Change as little as possible.

Your project properties should be set to be the same as the content you are trying to import. When you import your first media file into the project you should be asked if you want to set the properties to match those of the media you are trying to import. Say 'Yes' to this. This is really important. You want Vegas to be working natively using the same settings as the source media. if you don't it has to do various conversation on-the-fly while previewing and you will most likely get stuttery/poor preview.

Then go into the project properties and in the deinterlace method choose 'blend'.

When you go to render, choose the render template that you want and try to avoid change any of the values you mentioned except maybe the bitrate. Start with the default value and see how it looks. You may need to increase the bit rate depending on the final quality required, and also at what rate it was captured in the camera.

Follow John's advice - and also search the forum here - there are many similar questions to this one. I have only recently moved over to HD/AVCHD from SD/DV/Tape-based - there is a lot to learn...

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 15, 2014 at 5:33:02 am

I have done what you and John have suggested. I have rendered in best and good settings. The quality is decent but my film effects aren't exactly there anymore. For example: my "grain" effect are like white dots and the color in my film has turned brighter. It is suppose to be darker and be like an "old" film.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 16, 2014 at 1:22:59 am

[Tiffany Klaus] "If I rendered it to the mainconcept AVC Internet HD 1080 template, what bitrate, field order, profile, and pixel aspect ratio should I adjust it to?"
Sorry if I wasn't clear. As Stewart said, don't change a thing. I meant select the template and press the render button. That's it! When people start messing with parameters that they don't understand, they often get themselves into trouble. ;-)
[Tiffany Klaus] "I have rendered in best and good settings. The quality is decent but my film effects aren't exactly there anymore."
How are you viewing the FX in Vegas Pro? Do you have your preview window set to Best (Full)? If you have it set to Preview (Auto), which is the default, things will often look different when rendered.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 16, 2014 at 3:10:33 am
Last Edited By Tiffany Klaus on May 16, 2014 at 3:16:23 am

I thought that your previewing screen didn't determine how your video will look till the very end when you actually type in what rendering quality you want so mine is always left on preview (auto). I so far have already tried rendering out in project settings, preview, good, and best with my preview screen on auto (if that makes a difference) and none looked closest to how it actually looked like on the preview screen.

Knowing this information, I went ahead anyway and tried adjusting my preview screen to best or even good and rendering it accordingly but it still didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 16, 2014 at 10:45:01 am

[Tiffany Klaus] "I thought that your previewing screen didn't determine how your video will look till the very end when you actually type in what rendering quality you want so mine is always left on preview (auto)."
The actual setting doesn't but what your eyes are seeing does... consider this:

Your preview is showing you what your video looks like. You are making edit decisions based on what you see. If it's set to "Preview(Auto)" quality it is going to give you a rough approximation of what the video looks like NOT what the video actually looks like. Now you are using this to add FX and tweak the parameters. You have no idea what the "real" video looks like because you are just looking at a "rough approximation". Then you render in full quality and find out that your video looks nothing like the video because your FX settings were all wrong because you selected them while looking at a "rough approximation" that didn't show you what the video actually looked like when those FX were applied. This is what has happened to you.

Whenever you are doing FX work, you MUST check your work with Best(Full) to determine what the FX are "really" doing to your video. Once you are happy with that, you can switch back to Preview(Auto) to get your playback smoother but don't pay much attentions to what it looks like in Preview(Auto) because that's not what it actually will look like when rendered. Always check your FX work with Best(Full) quality.
[Tiffany Klaus] "I so far have already tried rendering out in project settings, preview, good, and best with my preview screen on auto (if that makes a difference) "
Sorry if I wasn't clear. Changing the setting of the preview will have no affect on rendering the video. The rendered video should match what the video looks like when you set your preview to Best(Full). If you set your preview to Best(Full) it should look just like the rendered video. Does it?
[Tiffany Klaus] "Knowing this information, I went ahead anyway and tried adjusting my preview screen to best or even good and rendering it accordingly but it still didn't turn out the way I wanted it to."
I think you're missing my point. Setting the preview to Best(Full) now will not change the video now but it should look just like the render that you don't like. This is because that's what the video really looks like, not the "rough approximated" preview(auto) you were using to judge quality before.

Here is what you need to do:
  1. Set your preview to Best(Full)
  2. Adjust all of your FX plug-ins so that the video in the preview window looks exactly the way that you want it to.
  3. Render your video and it should also look the way you want it to.
Hope that's clearer.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 19, 2014 at 4:23:23 am

I just adjusted my video effects as to the way I liked it with Best(full)setting on. Then when I rendered the whole 3 minute and 30 second video, it took about 9 hours to render (even with my 12 GB of RAM but it's mostly likely because I jacked up the effects by a lot more than usual to match how it looks on the Best(full) screen). When it was done, I watched the video. The fx did not turn out the way it looked like on the preview screen with the Best(full) setting on. The film grains were very heavy and obstructive to what was going on in the video while the film grains in the best(full) screen were subtle and gave it the look that I wanted.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 20, 2014 at 10:19:47 pm

[Tiffany Klaus] "When it was done, I watched the video. The fx did not turn out the way it looked like on the preview screen with the Best(full) setting on. The film grains were very heavy and obstructive to what was going on in the video while the film grains in the best(full) screen were subtle and gave it the look that I wanted."
What format did you render to? I'm surprised the video didn't look exactly like the Best(Full) preview.

BTW, you should be judging the quality by dropping the rendered video back onto the timeline above the existing project and toggle the track on and off to compare what you see. Looking at it in a media player gives the media player a chance to change the look.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 21, 2014 at 3:10:21 am
Last Edited By Tiffany Klaus on May 21, 2014 at 3:27:24 am

I rendered it to the Mainconcept AVC Internet 1080p template with everything best left alone like you said and video rendering quality at Best settings.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 21, 2014 at 3:46:29 am

[Tiffany Klaus] "I rendered it to the Mainconcept AVC Internet 1080p template"
How did you judge the quality? Did you drop it back onto the Vegas Pro timeline and check?

If you just viewed it in a media player then you should know that most media players darken MP4 video so it could be the media player making it darker that is the cause for the difference. Please check it in Vegas Pro as suggested in my earlier post.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 21, 2014 at 5:05:45 am
Last Edited By Tiffany Klaus on May 21, 2014 at 5:18:16 am

[John Rofrano] "What format did you render to? I'm surprised the video didn't look exactly like the Best(Full) preview.

BTW, you should be judging the quality by dropping the rendered video back onto the timeline above the existing project and toggle the track on and off to compare what you see. Looking at it in a media player gives the media player a chance to change the look.

~jr"

I placed my rendered video above my project in the timeline like you said. I wasn't sure what you really meant by "toggle the track on and off" but I did go ahead and just compare the rendered video to my project in preview(auto) and best(full). I took screenshots. haha

Project:

Preview(Auto)

Best(Full)

Rendered Video:

Preview(Auto)

Best(Full)

My rendered video looked really good on my timeline but completely different with the media player. From my timeline, I thought it looked good in preview(auto) and best(full). It even looked good in preview(half).

I'm also not sure what you mean by "Looking at it in a media player gives the media player a chance to change the look." How do I do that? Sorry for my ignorance. I'm not the best with Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 21, 2014 at 12:39:41 pm

[Tiffany Klaus] " I wasn't sure what you really meant by "toggle the track on and off""
Each track has a Mute and Solo button. I was referring to toggling the Mute button on and off so that you can see the tracks below for comparison.
[Tiffany Klaus] "My rendered video looked really good on my timeline but completely different with the media player. From my timeline, I thought it looked good in preview(auto) and best(full). It even looked good in preview(half). "
You have confirmed that Vegas Pro is not the problem. The video that you rendered looks exactly like the video on your timeline. There is nothing wrong with your render. The problem is with the media player.
[Tiffany Klaus] "I'm also not sure what you mean by "Looking at it in a media player gives the media player a chance to change the look." How do I do that? Sorry for my ignorance."
Sorry for not being clearer. Every media player will look a little different depending on what they do to the video. You have no control over this. You would think that media players just show you the "real" video but they try and be "smart" and think that they can make the video look better so they alter it without your consent.

It looks like you were using Windows Media Player which is a horrible media player for determining what your video "really" looks like. I recommend that you try this little test: view your video in the Windows Media Player, then view it with QuickTime Player, then view it with VLC Player. I'll bet it looks slightly different in all 3.

~jr

Return to posts index

Howard Steiger
on May 15, 2014 at 6:52:52 pm

avchd is interlaced? it can be either depending on what its filmed in no?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 16, 2014 at 1:17:31 am

[Howard Steiger] "avchd is interlaced? it can be either depending on what its filmed in no?"
Correct. AVCHD supports 720 progressive, and 1080 progressive at 24, 50, & 60 fps. 25 and 30 fps are usually interlaced. Tiffany said she was seeing horizontal lines and she is shooting 29.97fps which indicates to me that the source video was interlaced.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 21, 2014 at 3:46:54 am

For reference, here are some screenshots of how my project looks on the preview screen and how it really turned out at the end:

when rendered out:

I just realized when it was done rendering there were some parts in my video that just like blacked out and I don't know why. That's why I wasn't able to use the same scene like the other two to compare it with. The rendered scene I showed you is from the beginning of the video and the scene that I wanted to show you was the same like the others like I said but blacked out during the middle of the video. Does that make sense? lol

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 21, 2014 at 3:55:19 am

Yea, that's really odd. Do you have GPU Acceleration turned on? Look under Options | Preferences | Video and turn GPU Acceleration to OFF. Then render a small section by making a loop region on the timeline and when you render, check the box that says, Render Loop Region Only. See if that looks closer to what you want.

As for rendering black. I've had it happen to me. It's a nasty bug. Sometimes I have to render to a different format like Sony MXF, and then render that in a new project to MP4 to get it to work.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 21, 2014 at 5:56:50 am

[John Rofrano] "Yea, that's really odd. Do you have GPU Acceleration turned on? Look under Options | Preferences | Video and turn GPU Acceleration to OFF. Then render a small section by making a loop region on the timeline and when you render, check the box that says, Render Loop Region Only. See if that looks closer to what you want.

As for rendering black. I've had it happen to me. It's a nasty bug. Sometimes I have to render to a different format like Sony MXF, and then render that in a new project to MP4 to get it to work.
"

I just turned GPU Acceleration OFF then restarted my computer because it said so. Then rendered a small section and it still looks the same. Still very fuzzy.

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 22, 2014 at 4:29:57 am

I downloaded VLC player and watched my video with it. It looked great. I'm planning to render the video again so it won't have the blackout parts.

Is it normal for a 3 minute and 30 second video with f(x) and best rendering quality to take 22 hours to render? I set my computer to a "high" priority and "render with cpu" in vegas and thought it might render faster.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 23, 2014 at 11:27:23 am

[Tiffany Klaus] "I downloaded VLC player and watched my video with it. It looked great. I'm planning to render the video again so it won't have the blackout parts. "
Yea, Windows media Player is probably the worst player to be judging your video. I'm glad you lie VLC.
[Tiffany Klaus] "Is it normal for a 3 minute and 30 second video with f(x) and best rendering quality to take 22 hours to render? I set my computer to a "high" priority and "render with cpu" in vegas and thought it might render faster."
It depends on a lot of things. How powerful is your computer? You should have at least a Core i7 2.8Ghz w/8GB of memory on a 64-bit OS like Windows 7.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 23, 2014 at 9:12:43 pm

[John Rofrano] "It depends on a lot of things. How powerful is your computer? You should have at least a Core i7 2.8Ghz w/8GB of memory on a 64-bit OS like Windows 7.
"

My Computer System:
-AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD graphics (4 CPUs) 1.50 GHz
-12 GB (11.5 GB usable) of RAM
-Windows 8 64-bit
-Graphics Memory- 6144 MB
-Video Memory- 512 MB

I am using Vegas pro 12 and its requirements are:
- A 2 GHz processor (multicore or multiprocessor CPU recommended for HD or stereoscopic 3D)
-500 MB of disk space
-4 GB of ram (8 GB recommended)
- 512 MB GPU Memory

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 23, 2014 at 9:26:27 pm

[Tiffany Klaus] "-AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD graphics (4 CPUs) 1.50 GHz"
That's you're problem right there! Your processor is woefully underpowered for video work and doesn't even meet Sony's minimum specs. Sony recommends 2.0Ghz and you only have 1.5Ghz. Also the AMD's are horrible for video rendering. Even the 8-core AMD is considerably slower than the 6-core Intels. You want Intel processors for video work.

Take a look at this Passmark Score for your processor compared to the Intel Core i7's you should be using. Your processor scored 1,911 while the slowest Intel was 8,299 (over 4 times faster) and the Core i7-3930K that I use is 12,153 (which is over 6 times faster. So your 22 hr render would take about 3.75 hrs on my computer.

Now you know why it's taking so long.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 24, 2014 at 1:30:02 am

[John Rofrano] "That's you're problem right there! Your processor is woefully underpowered for video work and doesn't even meet Sony's minimum specs. Sony recommends 2.0Ghz and you only have 1.5Ghz. Also the AMD's are horrible for video rendering. Even the 8-core AMD is considerably slower than the 6-core Intels. You want Intel processors for video work.

Take a look at this Passmark Score for your processor compared to the Intel Core i7's you should be using. Your processor scored 1,911 while the slowest Intel was 8,299 (over 4 times faster) and the Core i7-3930K that I use is 12,153 (which is over 6 times faster. So your 22 hr render would take about 3.75 hrs on my computer.

Now you know why it's taking so long.
"

Oh, I see. Now I really regret getting this computer that I'm using. I constantly have to upgrade it. First, with RAM (initially it had 4 GB and now it has 12 GB) and now with the processor. If I knew better, I would have gotten a better computer for video editing than this toshiba satellite laptop. Would you recommend any other processor besides the Core i7 that is reasonably fast too and is also fairly priced? I checked for the price of the Core i7 that you have and boy was it expensive for me. haha. I know this might sound really silly but can I add in a another processor to the one I currently have or do I have to completely replace the one I have with another one that will be better for computer?

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on May 24, 2014 at 6:44:17 pm

Tiffany,

Being a laptop it is extremely unlikely that you can upgrade it and you certainly will not be able to add a second CPU in. You would certainly not be able to mix an Intel and an AMD.

I am afraid you are stuck with it - unless you can trade it in against a more powerful one.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 25, 2014 at 3:00:32 am

As Stewart has pointed out, you can't upgrade the processor on a laptop. The questions is, does it have to be a laptop or can you use a desktop? You will get a lot more computer for your money by buying a desktop computer.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 25, 2014 at 7:36:37 pm

[John Rofrano] "As Stewart has pointed out, you can't upgrade the processor on a laptop. The questions is, does it have to be a laptop or can you use a desktop? You will get a lot more computer for your money by buying a desktop computer.
"

I'm already using this laptop. I don't know about getting a new desktop. I, however, told my dad about the problem with my laptop and he did bring up that getting a new laptop is a possibility. Then again, I don't know if I want to spend a lot more money on a new pc. I already spent a lot of money on a lot other things. I guess I will try just try to figure something out myself.

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 27, 2014 at 5:01:40 am
Last Edited By Tiffany Klaus on May 27, 2014 at 5:06:10 am

I recently rendered my video with the encode mode: Render using OpenCL if available. Surprisingly, it took about half of the day or even less than that compared to Render using CPU only, which almost took the whole day (22 hours). Everything was rendered out with no blackout parts and it turned out great on the vlc player. It was just slightly brighter than my project but all of the effects were there. I then rendered it again, but this time with the max bps being 28 mln and avg bps being 14 mln compared to the previous bitrate, which was 24 mln for the max bps and 12 mln for the avg bps. I did this because I believe I remember reading it somewhere on this forum that it would make my video have better quality. It turned out to kind of looked the same. Was rendering using OpenCL and also increasing the bitrate a good idea?

Also, how can you tell if your processor is soldered in or not? I have a toshiba satellite c55d-a with AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.50 ghz. I was recently looking into the amd fx 8350 because I read online it was good for video editing and it was overall just a lot faster than the processor I have now and I was wondering if that would be compatible and how would I know (since I can't use intel without changing the whole motherboard)?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 27, 2014 at 12:07:26 pm

[Tiffany Klaus] "Was rendering using OpenCL and also increasing the bitrate a good idea?"
I always rendering using OpenCL. It's a lot faster as you have seen. As for the bit-rate, this is what determines your file size as well as quality. As long as you are OK with a larger file size then using a higher bit-rate will never hurt. Raising it from 12Mbps to 14Mbps isn't going to show that much of a difference if at all. Where you will see more of a difference is at the lower bit rates. For example, going from 2Mbps to 4Mbps is doubling the bit rate and will usually have a dramatic increase in quality. You would need to go from 12Mbps to 24Mbps to double your bit rate. Even then at some point it will not look any better because it doesn't need more bits. The trick is to find the point at which it has just enough bits to look good. That's the balancing point between quality and file size.
[Tiffany Klaus] "Also, how can you tell if your processor is soldered in or not? I have a toshiba satellite c55d-a with AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.50 ghz."
It is highly unlikely that your CPU is replaceable. Most laptops have the CPU soldered in. Even if you could change it, you can't put something in that is too powerful because there would be no way to keep it cool, The laptop is designed to keep the original processor cool.
[Tiffany Klaus] "I was recently looking into the amd fx 8350 because I read online it was good for video editing and it was overall just a lot faster than the processor I have now and I was wondering if that would be compatible and how would I know (since I can't use intel without changing the whole motherboard)?"
The AMD FX 8350 is a desktop processor and won't work in a laptop. In general the only thing you can upgrade on a laptop is the memory and hard drive. Nothing else is really upgradable. This is why I recommend getting a desktop for video work.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 27, 2014 at 6:24:53 pm
Last Edited By Tiffany Klaus on May 27, 2014 at 6:32:45 pm

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 27, 2014 at 6:40:26 pm

[John Rofrano] "[Tiffany Klaus] "Was rendering using OpenCL and also increasing the bitrate a good idea?"
I always rendering using OpenCL. It's a lot faster as you have seen. As for the bit-rate, this is what determines your file size as well as quality. As long as you are OK with a larger file size then using a higher bit-rate will never hurt. Raising it from 12Mbps to 14Mbps isn't going to show that much of a difference if at all. Where you will see more of a difference is at the lower bit rates. For example, going from 2Mbps to 4Mbps is doubling the bit rate and will usually have a dramatic increase in quality. You would need to go from 12Mbps to 24Mbps to double your bit rate. Even then at some point it will not look any better because it doesn't need more bits. The trick is to find the point at which it has just enough bits to look good. That's the balancing point between quality and file size."

Are you talking about the max or avg bitrate?

Also, is there a way, if any, to make my video look exactly the same or very similar to my project? I just want to try to make it look very close to the project because the video is a bit too bright for me.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 28, 2014 at 11:42:35 am

[Tiffany Klaus] "Are you talking about the max or avg bitrate?"
Average bit rate. Max and Min only sets the upper and lower limit that is allowed to be used, but overall the Average is what determines the size of the video. In other words, if a frame has a lot of detail, the encoder can use up to the maximum bit rate, but it then needs to lower the bit rate for other frames because by the end of the video, it must average out to meet the average bit rate.
[Tiffany Klaus] "Also, is there a way, if any, to make my video look exactly the same or very similar to my project? I just want to try to make it look very close to the project because the video is a bit too bright for me."
As I stated earlier, set your preview to Best(Full) and your rendered video should look exactly like what you see in the preview. You also might want to check you work using the Secondary Monitor option above the preview window. It will work even if you only have one monitor. This will give you a full screen view of your video as it should look when rendered.

I may have already pointed out that some players adjust your video so you can't trust any one media player; they all look a little different. Always drop your rendered video back onto the Vegas Pro timeline to check how it "really" looks.

~jr

Return to posts index

Tiffany Klaus
on May 29, 2014 at 4:51:38 am

Okay. I got it. Sorry for sounding redundant. I just wanted to know all of options.

Anyways, thank you so much for your help, John. Your answers to my questions were really insightful and useful. You helped me dramatically improve the quality of my video. Also, thank you for the quick, simple, coherent, and concise responses. I truly learned a lot more about Sony Vegas from this thread. Thank you.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 30, 2014 at 12:12:51 am

You're very welcome Tiffany. I'm gad you found this helpful.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]