FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with borders around cropped picture - Upgraded from 10e to 13 but also doesn't work with v12

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ellen Prichard
Trouble with borders around cropped picture - Upgraded from 10e to 13 but also doesn't work with v12
on May 11, 2014 at 4:49:07 pm

I do a lot of slide shows using pictures with Sony Vegas. In 10e I could use the VideoFx "Border" to put a white border around a cropped image. If I do this in v13 and place the border effect before the pan/crop and before I change the pan/crop to zoom into the picture, it looks fine. But as soon as I zoom with pan/crop, the border doesn't stay with the pan/crop. Does everyone agree this no longer works as it used to? If so, border only works if you don't use pan/crop?

I also tried using glow with the blur set to zero. I get no border on the top and bottom. and when I use track motion to reduce the picture, I get a huge border at the top and the other sides look fine.

I tried both of these steps with V12 and it works the same as v13 so I assume if it was a bug it would have been fixed by now?

I've read a lot of suggestions from folks that haven't worked for me so I'm hoping it's not too much to ask that whatever suggestion you make, can you try the exact steps I do and make sure it works? If it does for you but doesn't for me, I'm not sure how to trouble-shoot this!

1. Place still image on video track
2. Apply your solution
3. Drag crop handles further into the picture which zooms in. I want to be able to do this in any aspect ratio (not a set square or rectangle shape).
4. Use track motion to reduce the overall image size.

I want the border to follow whether I pan/crop it or I use track/motion to make it bigger/smaller and move it around. I also need the border to fade with the picture into the next one. All of this I could do with the way "border" used to work!

Thank you for your help!!

Ellen

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
Re: Trouble with borders around cropped picture - Upgraded from 10e to 13 but also doesn't work with v12
on May 12, 2014 at 10:13:54 am

I believe your issue has a simple solution Ellen. When you open your VFX or Pan/Crop window, simply make sure that the border effect is shown before the pan/crop effect (drag one or other into the right place in the chain). Hopefully this addresses it.

Return to posts index

Ellen Prichard
Re: Trouble with borders around cropped picture - Upgraded from 10e to 13 but also doesn't work with v12
on May 13, 2014 at 5:49:53 am

Phil, I saw that suggestion a lot in various threads but it doesn't work for me. If I don't crop the photo, it has a nice border but as soon as I crop it, it doesn't work even with the border effect prior the pan crop. Did you try it on your version and it works for you? Did you crop it to a little square or different aspect ratio? What version are you using?

Thanks for your reply!
Ellen

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on May 12, 2014 at 1:03:52 pm

Ellen, with the Pan/Crop window open, right click on the image and choose Match Output Aspect.
That should hopefully solve your problems.

Return to posts index

Ellen Prichard
on May 13, 2014 at 5:59:12 am

Hi Mike, I can try what you suggested but I'm not sure how that would help as I'm trying to crop the picture to a different aspect ratio than my project and different than the original picture. Envision snapshots on a bulletin board and each snapshot has a white border around it and they are varying sizes and varying rectangle dimensions. Does that help picture what I'm trying to do?

Thanks, Ellen

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on May 13, 2014 at 11:18:30 am

Hmm. Playing around a bit and I see what you mean now I understand what you are trying to achieve. Have you tried keyframing/animating the border? A bit of mucking around but it is do-able. Just depends on how many images you are working on I guess. Interesting all the same. Should be an easier way, I would think, so will be interested to see what others come up with. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Andy Vegas
on Nov 21, 2016 at 2:59:29 pm

Hi guys,
I have the same extact issue with Vegas 13, and now with the new Vegas 14.
I confirm that until Vegas 10 it was working perfectly.
There's no solution to that (tried everything suggested here and on other forums), at this point there should be an error in the plugin itself (after version 10).

After many tests, I tried to open the same project with Vegas 10 first and then with Vegas 13.
Here's what I get: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34036559/border_issue.jpg
I've also just sent a request to the Vegas team...and hopefully we'll have an official answer soon.

In the meantime, if someone of you (maybe Ellen?!) have found a temporary solution or fix, please let me know!
Thank you!
Andy

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Nov 22, 2016 at 2:47:20 am

Most likely, here's the problem.

Simply drag the border button before the pan/crop button.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Andy Vegas
on Nov 22, 2016 at 11:33:38 am

Thanks for the help but of course I've already tried to do that and it doesn't work.
It works only with the full object (photo/video) but not with a part of it.
Here's what happens if I try your solution: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34036559/border_issue_2.jpg

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 22, 2016 at 10:00:50 am

Hi,

[Ellen Prichard] "I also tried using glow with the blur set to zero. I get no border on the top and bottom. and when I use track motion to reduce the picture, I get a huge border at the top and the other sides look fine."

I also often use this method to draw a border, because it works for any shape, not just a rectangle. ?
However, Vegas 13 has a bug in GPU acceleration, so that it makes impossible to use glow/shadow this way for this purpose.
So this bug dove me really nuts!

There are possible workarounds:
-very best option: upgrade to Vegas 14, that bug is fixed there
-disable GPU in Vegas 13 (you'll lose much preview/rendering power)
-use the glow with intensity 100%, blur set not lower than 0,3. That gives somewhat more soft and more rounded edges, but still works.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 22, 2016 at 10:05:54 am

I don't know why my smilies are converted to question mark?
:(

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]