FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio jumbled, WAV files wont play properly on external drive

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antonio Salva
audio jumbled, WAV files wont play properly on external drive
on May 2, 2014 at 7:30:48 pm

When I play WAV files from an external drive on my laptop the audio is jumbled and plays parts from video clips and the audio in pieces-out of time. Even though other video clips and audio associated with the video play fine. I only have problems with WAV files on an external, when I put then on my local C drive they play fine. It is a USB 3 drive. Any advice? Should I use an ESATA drive instead? I thought USB 3 was fine. Thanx Tony

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: audio jumbled, WAV files wont play properly on external drive
on May 3, 2014 at 3:20:38 pm

Try Defragging the drive and cleaning it up a bit.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 4, 2014 at 10:41:00 am

[Antonio Salva] "It is a USB 3 drive. Any advice?"
Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 port on your laptop? Both the drive and the computer need USB 3.0 in order to get USB 3.0 speeds. Otherwise you will get USB 2.0 speeds. Also if you have other USB devices plugged in you may be sharing bandwidth with the other devices.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Antonio Salva
on May 5, 2014 at 3:15:21 pm

Thanx for the reply John, it is plugged into a USB 3 input. Do I need a special cable to access USB 3 speeds? I do have another USB device hooked up-an Ilok for some of the music plugins I own. Do you think this would take up bandwidth? I noticed other people having this problem as well. I figured by the last build of Sony Pro version 12 they would have a lot of these type of kinks worked out. I hardly had any problems with WAV files in version 8. WAV files should be some of the easiest files to play. They play correctly on the C drive, which makes me think that it has something to do with the external drive and how it is transferring files. Interestingly, the video files play perfect from the external at the same time the WAV files won't. It makes me feel Im missing some setting. Thanx again for the reply-Tony

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on May 5, 2014 at 5:14:39 pm

[Antonio Salva] "Thanx for the reply John, it is plugged into a USB 3 input. Do I need a special cable to access USB 3 speeds?"

You need a USB 3.0 cable... it has extra signals on it, compared to a USB 2.0 cable. That said, unless you have a bug somewhere in your system, even USB 2.0 is just fine for audio or even video speeds. That of course assumes a drive that's not fragmented, no contention for that drive from other programs, a drive that's not suffering errors, etc.

[Antonio Salva] " I do have another USB device hooked up-an Ilok for some of the music plugins I own. Do you think this would take up bandwidth?"

If your other USB device is active and doing stuff, it'll be taking some USB bandwidth, otherwise it shouldn't. But there are the occasional drive bugs. It should be easy enough to unplug and verify. I would HOPE that a security dongle doesn't eat up that much USB bandwidth.

[Antonio Salva] " I noticed other people having this problem as well. I figured by the last build of Sony Pro version 12 they would have a lot of these type of kinks worked out."

This is usually a system-level problem, not something attributable specifically to Vegas or any other DAW. In theory anyway, the USB subsystem and NTFS file systems are either correct or they're not, and no specific program, running on top of these, has much impact on whether they work or not. No program like Vegas out to be doing special things for the type of media you're using. It's the operating system's job to ensure these things work well together.

[Antonio Salva] " I hardly had any problems with WAV files in version 8."

Did you have the same hardware back then? If not, you might expect different performance. If so... Vegas 8 is over six years old. A typical HDD (internal or external) could easily be failing after 5-6 years of use. Do you still have Vegas 8 installed or available to install?

Just sayin' ... I use external media all the time, USB, HDD, SD Card, etc. I do all my audio recording on external drives (it's on a different studio computer), bring it into Vegas as 24-bit/96kHz, and usually don't even think about HDD speeds until I have a few dozen tracks playing at once (I projects with over 60). With audio, it's not even about the HDD transfer speed, but the seek time.

[Antonio Salva] " Interestingly, the video files play perfect from the external at the same time the WAV files won't."

Well, there's that seek time thing again. Try moving the video files to the C: drive and see what happens. Video files need to get a new frame every 1/24-1/60th of a second, or they break up. Audio files need to deliver a new sample every 1/44100th-1/96000th of a second or so, or they judder, break up, etc. If you're using a modern audio device with ASIO drivers, you can control the amount of buffering for audio in the ASIO driver to make seeks less important (fine for editing, not for overdubbing or live performance). If not, you may simply have an unstable situation. It's expected behavior that, when you're thrashing your drive (asking for more data than it can deliver, which again isn't just peak single stream throughput, but the sum of the files and the seeks between them), audio will start to fail first. Yes, it's counterinitutive, but that's how it works.

-Dave

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on May 5, 2014 at 10:45:35 pm

I really have nothing to add to Dave's excellent reply other than perhaps the video file is hogging your bandwidth at the expense of your audio file or the drive is heavily fragmented so there is a lot of head seeking going on. Try defragmenting the drive and see if it helps.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Antonio Salva
on May 6, 2014 at 3:11:32 am

Dave,
What a great post, thanx for all the info. The hard drive Iam using is brand new and I copied the files to it from another drive. Do you think it could become fragmented that quickly? The old system I was using was a duo core from about 5 years ago running SVP 8.The New machine is quad core I7 and I upgraded to version 12. My gut feeling is that the new drive shouldn't be fragmented so quickly, that I'm missing some setting in bios or Vegas. It won't even play WAV files captured by Vegas as soon as I write them. I think that the suggestion that the video is hogging the bandwidth could be something investigating, but how can I check this or make changes. It could be my audio card as I'm using an onboard laptop. Not an ASIO card. Any other suggestions are appreciated, unbelievable the knowledge that you ,John, and Steve have about Vegas. Thanx again for all the help and input-Tony

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on May 6, 2014 at 5:15:54 am

Well, good, at least the bad drive possibility is eliminated.

I'd try it the old fashioned way. Back before pretty much anyone was doing video on HDD, it was all about trying to get some number of audio tracks to work correctly.

So, start a new project, drop in one track from the drive in question. Does it play? Add a few more... eventually, you'll start to judder. IF you had an ASIO audio device, you could up the buffering and get that back playing clean, but I don't know of any way to tweak that through the standard drivers.

You might try ASIO4ALL and see if that works with your laptop audio device. You have to install that, then set Vegas to use it, and you lose system audio, which is of course what you usually want for serious audio work.
No, there is no fragmentation if that's a new drive. Fragmentation naturally makes seeking worse, but with large files, there are always seeking issues.

Anyway, you can try the same thing with a single video track, etc. No matter what the HDD, you will eventually run out of seek time, and audio will eventually start to judder. And when rendering, that same situation will result in renders more dictated by your HDD seek times than your CPU speed, which is certainly not what you want. This is why 7200rpm drives were once a must-have for any kind of multimedia work... lower seek times come from both less seeking (larger drives) and from faster spin. Laptop drives (both internal and external) are notoriously sketchy for this, because they seem to think it's important to worry about power, a ridiculous notion for a media content machine (don't get me started on laptops in general), but there you have it.

Also, I don't think you mentioned, you have WAV files, but what kind of video files (media type, bitrate, etc) and how many in a project? Just trying to suss the impact of the video.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]