FORUMS: list search recent posts

problems exporting to Protools AAF

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
problems exporting to Protools AAF
on May 1, 2014 at 8:23:37 am

I am working in broadcast industry. My production house is growing bigger. Recently I bought six licences for Sony Vegas 12. I am considered very unusual because the standard in TV is Avid and FinalCut. For some time everything worked fine but.. recently my TV station demanded from me to send audio sessions to Protools. This started to be hell. Yes... there is a feature in SV12 to export the session to AAF but... it simply doesnt work as it should! It produces sessions with hundred tracks! Ridiculous! Whats more it causes the events to be out of sync! I was waiting for Sony Vegas 13 like for salvation but... it still doesnt work!!

Tell me... why? Why Sony doesnt want SV13 to be treated as a proffessional tool that can be a part of TV industry workflow? Not only a tool for weddings? Its a great software, extremely fast and efficient. You can work 2 times faster than using Avid, I love it but it lacks compatibility with the industry. Why Adobe can export OMFs (with option of trimming media) and Sony cant? WHY? There is so much to win.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: problems exporting to Protools AAF
on May 1, 2014 at 12:58:44 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on May 1, 2014 at 12:59:54 pm

Yes, i know Grzegorz. I understand your frustration.
I say it to myself regularly, Vegas have everything
to sweep all other NLE's to the side, Only if they
would just button down and tighten up Vegas the right
and proper way, More effective marketing in the broadcast
and film industry and most importantly in your situation
Grzegorz, make sure it outputs varied video and audio formats
accurately so that they can have compatibility with all the
other professional tools out there being used.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Garðar Garðarsson
on May 2, 2014 at 2:56:36 am

Wait! What?
Oh boy I'm in trouble! I've been editing my graduation project in Vegas, because I thought it could do ProTools AAF. I have to do the audio work in ProTools due to school policy.
Are others experiencing the same problem?

What about DaVinci Resolve? Are people having problems going that route?

Return to posts index

Grzegorz Kwiatkowski
on May 2, 2014 at 6:36:15 am

Yes, you are in trouble. You can try AATranslator and see if it works for you. It can convert veg sessions into ptf Protools but it is a bit cumbersome process and requires a bit of experience.

Yes, there is some third party software that may help but u cant really trust it. You should trust Sony Creative Software and if they ignoring this issue.. something isnt right.

Return to posts index

Michael Rooney
on May 4, 2014 at 12:20:37 pm

I really think the guys at Sony don't deserve too much criticism in this area - IMO the blame really lies squarely with Avid.

Most people think there is such a thing as a 'standard' OMF and a 'standard' AAF but the fact is that this is so far from the truth it is laughable

If you successfully export either an OMF or AAF from anywhere and have it successfully read somewhere else then don't bother buying a lottery ticket as you have just used up all your luck LOL

The fact is that both formats vie for the most complicated and obtuse formats known to man and yet contain far less detail than a simple Samplitude EDL text file

Most implementations are either flawed or don't adhere to the ridiculously complicated 'specification' or both so don't be too harsh towards the folks at Sony

Now as to converting a Veg file to a PTF yes AATranslator does that quite simply but there a couple of caveats - no midi, fx or stretched audio is converted to PT but then you weren't expecting that from an OMF or AAF were you?

All audio either needs to be mono (just like an OMF) wav files (yes unknown to most all audio is treated internally as mono in PT versions 9 and earlier), however, AAT will do its best to do the necessary conversions.

We continue to expand and improve AAT in all areas including Veg conversion so if the OP wants to send me a test Veg file via the AATranslator web site I'd be more than happy to convert it to PT for him - and yes the info converted far exceeds that of any mere AAF or OMF ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on May 6, 2014 at 1:47:20 pm

Still needs to be refined by them Michael...

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Michael Rooney
on May 6, 2014 at 2:22:30 pm
Last Edited By Michael Rooney on May 6, 2014 at 2:35:31 pm

I'm not sure I can agree with that given that there are 2 distinct flavours of AAF produced by Avid themselves all from the same 'specification' - the PT flavour and the Media Composer flavour.
Then of course you can start throwing in variants from pretty much everyone else from X2Pro, Auria, Nuendo, Logic, STP and the list goes on.

It would seem to me that there must be some issue with the specification if so many get it wrong or there is so much scope for 'interpretation' - maybe it was intentionally written this way?

This is nothing new we have seen this all before with OMF where we have seen blatant disregard for that specification from the likes of Sonar And Steinberg through to just minimum support from others.

I suspect that the resources Sony put in to AAF would have been better spent in other areas rather than try and hit Avid's moving AAF target.

IMO you get more value out of providing stems than trusting anyone's flavour of AAF ;-)

Just saying.....

Return to posts index

Michael Rooney
on May 6, 2014 at 2:34:41 pm

Our last release of AAT did include support for the Vegas VEG file and rest assured that our next release has significant improvements in this area.

We strive to make conversions as simple and easy as possible but the PTF format is not a very tolerant format and some jiggery and pokery can be required depending upon the content and makeup of the source session.

Registered owners should never hesitate to contact us directly if they have questions, concerns or suggestions as we are here to help them and also help others through improvements and enhancements.

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on May 5, 2014 at 6:20:50 pm

Yes, constant problems trying to "export" to Davinci.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]