FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 12 best settings for DNxHD, 5D Mark III

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Gibrall
Vegas Pro 12 best settings for DNxHD, 5D Mark III
on Apr 27, 2014 at 9:18:59 pm

Hello all.

What are the best settings when rendering a DNxHD file in Sony Vegas Pro 12, with video recorded on a Canon 5D Mark III, 1080p, 23.976fps? I want to render with all the quality, but don't want my settings so high I end up with a massively oversized file.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Vegas Pro 12 best settings for DNxHD, 5D Mark III
on Apr 27, 2014 at 9:52:08 pm

If you want the best quality you're going to have a large file. You didn't state how long your timeline is and what size you want to keep the render under.

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:08:32 pm

Can you do a screen shot of your timeline? How long is this project?

Return to posts index

Michael Gibrall
on Apr 30, 2014 at 7:32:14 pm

Thanks, guys.

80 minute film. I've grouped VEG files into the timeline. To make a long story short, it was easier for me to do it this way because if the various audio elements and unique masking or other processes I was doing to get the desired results. Standard stereo is just fine, so this works out.

Believe it or not, file size to me is irrelevant. I just want the best quality. But I do want it set up to compile all of the settings the video was recorded in, without overkill.

I see a setting for 444 video when using the guide supplied by John Rofrano, for example, for resolution settings, but know it was shot as 422 with the 5D Mark III, and 444 would be overkill. And I don't see an option for 422, unless I'm missing something. So I can stick with 444 as overkill, but I would like to have all of the settings using the existing parameters of what a 5D Mark III records without having settings go over what it was natively recorded in. i.e. do I use 8 bit?

What I want is, regardless of file size, to have the best quality DNxHD and uncompressed quicktime. I may have to go uncompressed quicktime for both archiving and to make a pro res 422 hq file, as the mac driver for dnxhd hasn't been recognized in the many different mac's I've tried to use them in. I'll use mpeg streamline to convert the uncompressed quicktime to a prores 422 hq file.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on May 4, 2014 at 12:23:23 am

All DNxHD is 422, unless it says 444.

The 1080p23.976 DNxHD 175 8-bit would be your highest quality to cover the camera output without needless overkill.
DXnHD bitrate varies by frame size and bitrate, so at 1080p29.97 your choice would be 220.

You only get 4:2:2 from a 5DMkiii if you recorded via the HDMI output. Files recorded to flash are always 4:2:0. Either way you would still use the same DNxHD setting.

Return to posts index

Michael Gibrall
on Apr 30, 2014 at 8:31:23 pm

Picture of timeline. Using VEG files.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]