FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graduated application of effects on an event

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Bourke
Graduated application of effects on an event
on Apr 27, 2014 at 1:52:10 pm

VP12 latest, WIn 7 ultimate.

Looking to understand if it is possible to apply VFX on a graduated basis.

I have footage of a dance recital where the lighting upstage was very low to avoid spilling onto the cyc on the back wall. The unfortunate side effect is that dancers coming on at the back are very dark, whilst downstage it looks OK. Some of the routines take place within this area and so I would like to try and enhance it. If I use the curves to enhance upstage, downstage starts to look blownout.

Is there any way using any sort of gradient, or bump map, environment map etc to vary the level of an effect on an event? I had thought of duplicating the specific event on a second track, but even with the various blend mode I could not achieve what I was looking for.

I don't believe keyframes are applicable here, as i don't want to vary the effect over time, I want to vary it by position on the screen.

I did come across a post in 2008 which described how to apply a color gradually, but I could not figure out how to make that apply to an effect.

Any suggestions/pointers appreciated.

Thanks

STBO

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Graduated application of effects on an event
on Apr 27, 2014 at 5:40:28 pm

I'd apply a graduated MASK.

Post a STILL and I'll have a go and post-back the VEG.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Apr 27, 2014 at 8:14:57 pm

Grazie,

Many thanks - anything that I can use as an example to experiment with would be great.

I had to resize it to get it down to < 1.5mb size specified for this forum.

image102.png

I am intrigued how a mask would work here - surely I need to apply e.g. colour curves in a graduated way?

Many thanks agsin

Stewart

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 27, 2014 at 9:19:20 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Apr 27, 2014 at 9:20:34 pm

[Stewart Bourke] "I am intrigued how a mask would work here - surely I need to apply e.g. colour curves in a graduated way?"
Sure. In VP12 we have the ability to SHAPE a Mask and have an FX be applied to JUST the Mask.

The trouble I see it as having is that the FOREGROUND is quite blown - look a the tu-tus? But the gradation of the BACK drop is softly graduated - tricky.

Any how, here's my attempt. I think I've evened-out the Illumination using the Shaped-Mask, I could make it better; I also added a Colour Corrector to bring back the saturation too in the back line of dancers and restricted the gradation of the BACK drop.

Here's the Mask using the FX-ing:

Any good?

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:50:09 am

I'd say you've done a great job Graham! Wouldn't necessarily have thought of a mask meself ;-(

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:55:02 pm

Graham,

That looks great - thank you. I too would never have thought of a mask. I was too focused on trying to get some sort of gradient. Would it be possible to get a copy of the project file to have a look at?

many thanks again for taking the time to give it a go.

Stewart

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]