FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 13 and RED EPIC / RED SCARLET / RED DRAGON (R3D)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Kee
Vegas Pro 13 and RED EPIC / RED SCARLET / RED DRAGON (R3D)
on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:04:18 am

Hey, does anyone know if Vegas Pro 13 has any additional features or improvements specifically regarding R3D files from the Red Epic / Red Scarlet or 6K Red Dragon? For example, does Vegas 13 support the editing of 6K Red Dragon R3D files? Also, do we know if cross-platform issues have been resolved e.g. exporting XML for resolve (which has never worked for me in the past, nor has it worked for several other users).

Best,

Will.

Return to posts index

lonny dill
Re: Vegas Pro 13 and RED EPIC / RED SCARLET / RED DRAGON (R3D)
on Apr 24, 2014 at 5:04:33 pm

Hey back,
YES, Sony V13 can drop and edit 4k and 5k clips onto the timeline just fine. Using a secondary preview monitor, you can color RAW using curves in file clip properties. But, real time play back at more than draft quality is a bit of a disappointment. Lag in a workflow can just destroy any sort of success of a project. I have the RedRocket and a HP Z820 workstation that is a beast! But, that doesn't really seem to matter in the Vegas workflow. The RedRocket card works amazingly well with Adobe Premier to perform the Red RAW debayering, which speeds up the workflow tremendously. But, it doesn't seem that Vegas has any interest in allowing any workflow connection to the RedRocket. For years we have been using the AJA LHi card to help with real time play back which is a great post production edit card, but again, Sony Vegas seems to have dropped the support on the AJA card too, leaving no choice but to keep analyzing an Adobe workflow. I still find myself using Vegas too often because of its simplicity, but if Vegas keeps moving with current trends and technology, a change seems like a no brainer.

Lonny Dill

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Apr 24, 2014 at 5:33:28 pm

Thanks Lonny for a decent answer. I expected as much. I support I could rephrase my question to 'Does Vegas 13 have any improvements over Vegas 12 regarding R3D'. I've been using Vegas 12 for a while now editing R3D and I was wondering if Vegas 13 had made improvements regarding cross-platform capabilities, debayering, a more sophisticated interpretation of Red's colour science, a more sophisticated RAW edited etc etc etc.

I'm looking into buying Premiere Pro this week because it does R3D really well.

Return to posts index

Will Kee
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:30:21 pm

Lony, I have just upgraded to Vegas 13 for the price of £200 and cannot open a 5K (widescreen) R3D in vegas.

'' 'Warning: an error occurred while opening one or more files. The reason for the error could not be determined'. ''

Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Tim Bradley
on Oct 23, 2014 at 6:45:11 am

Will Sony Vegas 13 work with Dragon R3D files?

Thank you !

Tim Bradley
http://www.sydneycameraman.com.au
http://www.redcam.com.au

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]