FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxy editing in SV 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Herman
Proxy editing in SV 13
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:03:16 pm

Has anyone used the Proxy editing feature in SVP 13.

I tried to, and am confused by the results.

Apparently the proxy feature should create smaller files, but from the attached image you'll see that it has created a file 3 x the size of the original at a higher (!!!) bitrate.

The play length has also doubled because the original was a 50fps video, and the proxy has reduced it to a 24fps rate.

There are no settings to alter the way the proxy creation works.

Has anyone any ideas what the problem might be??

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Proxy editing in SV 13
on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:01:33 pm

The Vegas smart proxy feature always creates 1280x720 files. Also the files are marked as 24p, but no frame rate resampling occurs so if you look you will see the length gets longer. This proxy frame rate is meaningless. The proxy is played back at source file frame rate.

The Vegas smart proxies are XDCAM EX 35Mbps files. By encoding at a fake 24fps, the proxy has more bitrate for higher quality.

As you noticed with frame rates higher than 24 you can get a multiplication factor on file size. Also the 35Mbps bitrate may be higher than your camera source.

The proxy feature is not really about smaller proxy files, but rather files which are easily decoded for playback performance. The XDCAM EX mpeg-2 files are super fast to decode.

Vegas will actually accept any of its input formats as a proxy file. The Vegas feature will only do it one way. I have used the Vegasaur utility to create smart proxies in other formats. Quality seems best with 720 proxies. I have created 60p proxies to keep the big 2.5x file size increase down. I have stuck with the XDCAM EX format.

If you want to keep the proxy file size down, you can do this manually as well. Just render a 1280x720 50p file, without audio, and rename it to the proper format for Vegas.

Return to posts index

Peter Herman
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:24:14 am

Well now I am confused.

I found a number of internet site which tell me that the idea of a proxy is to create a much smaller file to work with to eliminate the choppiness experienced when editing high resolution videos on older computers.
For example listen to what is said at approx 5.15 in this video on this site
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/devis_andrew/Sony-Vegas-Pro_22/vide...

The problem I have is that whether I use the original file or a there is a generated proxy the slow, and variable, frame rate I experience with even the lowest quality in the preview window is very bad (even with the GPU acceleration turned off) - and I am trying to find a way to fix the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 24, 2014 at 2:37:17 am

Well, the Vegas smart proxy feature really only intends to proxy high bitrate 1080 and 4K stuff, so 720 is smaller in that sense.

50/60p at 1080 is very difficult to edit. You need a speedy machine. If you are having problems with the Vegas mpeg-2 smart proxies at 50/60p then you really need a faster machine for whatever it is that you are doing in your project(s). Those proxies really decode fast and if you are still having problems then decoding the proxy is not the bottleneck.

You said you still have problems at lowest preview, which is quarter. I have always edited at Preview Half, and with my old core i7 i860 2.8Ghz machine I was able to edit 1080p60 files smoothly using the smart proxy of a high bitrate GoPro AVC source file.

You can proxy in way other than the Vegas smart proxy feature. Utilities like Vegasaur, and others like it, can make this easy for you. Vegasaur will also help you create custom smart proxies.

Return to posts index

Peter Herman
on Apr 24, 2014 at 9:45:56 am

Thanks for the info Norman - it is a bit clearer now.

However it appears the problem is a bit more fundamental than the video size.

Today I experimented with a lower quality video from a different source. It's spec is -
Maximum bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 23.976 fps

When I play in the trimmer window it plays fine, but is really choppy in the preview window.

So I tried another -
Maximum bit rate : 1 051 Kbps
Width : 480 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps

Same result - very choppy preview playback.

I find this odd as I do not remember having this problem when I last tried editing video a couple of years ago, and although a few years old now and probably no longer regarded as a high spec, my Acer laptop is no slouch.

Acer 8930
Win 8 64bit
2 hard drives. (300GB and 500GB)
6GB Ram
Intel P750 2.00GHz processor.

So something else is not right by the look of it but now I am completely baffled.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]