FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Quality Project Properties and Rendering as..?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gregoriades
Best Quality Project Properties and Rendering as..?
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:02:40 am

Sorry this is probably an old question asked and answered but..
Using Sony Vegas 11 and DVD Architect 5.
Camera: Nikon D5100 DSLR, movie settings: "1970x1080, 30fps"
Project Properties: HDV 720-30p (1820x720, 29.97)
Render: MPEG 2 HDV 1080-60i 29.97 1440x1080

Surely my settings for project properties and renders cannot be the "right" ones for the original video from the Nikon. Numbers & ratios don't match. Could you please straighten me out, and within the Vegas parameters, recommend the settings for the best quality, Wide (16:9) to make ordinary (not Blue-ray) DVDs?

Thank you,
John

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Best Quality Project Properties and Rendering as..?
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:28:58 am

Your project properties should match your source video properties. You can use the match media properties button in the project properties window to do this automatically. Otherwise 1920x1080 29.97fps, progressive, pixel aspect ratio 1.0.

Since you are targeting Blu-ray you cannot use 30p so you would use 60i. A Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i template is a good choice.

Since you are going Blu-ray you can use mpeg-2 or AVC templates (Sony AVC or Mainconcept AVC).

Return to posts index

John Gregoriades
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:36:18 am

Sorry, I did not explain well. I am NOT targeting Blue-ray, rather the opposite: I'm trying to develop old-fashioned DVDs that play in most (older) DVD players. "Match project properties" gave me a list of items (a big list) which confused me. (But if it's automatic, that's OK, provided the original project properties are set to match the original video.) Hence at least half of my question. What are the proper project properties to match the video?
Thank you
John

John23GR

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:17:48 am

Sorry, my bad for misreading your post visavie Blu-ray.

For DVD use one of the DVD Architect templates. NTSC or PAL depending on your location. In this case, in the US, DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen.

I would still edit in the native format of your source video footage. By this I mean your project properties as previously mentioned.

Return to posts index

John Gregoriades
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:55:38 am

Thank you, I progressed but I am still confused:
After editing, at the RENDER AS stage:
If I select Mainconcept MPG2 - DVDA NTSC Widescreen, below appears the info: 720x480, Pixel aspect ratio 1.212 (which can't be right, it is not widescreen.)
If I select Match Project Settings, the only video on the resulting list below is "Internet 1920x1080, & below it states: Use this setting to create the highest quality 16:9 file suitable for uploading to Internet sites. It is an xxx.mp4 file. (Which is not what is desired. What is desired is the highest quality for a standard-play DVD disk.)
any additional help or clarification would be appreciated.
John

John23GR

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 22, 2014 at 3:13:46 am

John, what Norman is telling you to do is correct.
You're getting confused between HD video and SD video.
I shoot 1440 x 1080 @60i. It's the same as 1920 x 1080 @60i but with a different PAR - Pixel Aspect Ratio - 1.333 vs. 1.000.
When I want to make widescreen DVDs, I use the same render setting Norman suggested and it works as expected (i.e. I get a widescreen DVD).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]