FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro Edit 13 unable to open audio in external editor Audacity

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shuva Raha
Vegas Pro Edit 13 unable to open audio in external editor Audacity
on Apr 20, 2014 at 8:01:21 am

Hi, I used Vegas Pro 10 since 2012. Since last month I was doing a trial of Pro 12, but then 13 was released, and I had to purchase that instead earlier this week. So now I have Vegas Pro Edit 13.

Till now, I could right click on any audio track, go to "Open copy in audio editor" and edit the file in Audacity (latest version 2.0.5). Vegas used to create one Take 2.wav file in response, with its own .sfk file.

With Vegas 13, when I do this activity:

1. I get a pop-up with the msg: Vegas Pro is currently using the media files so they cannot be closed. Try stopping playback, stopping recording, and any external timecode synchronisation.

2. With each attempt to open the track in Audacity, Vegas makes a new .wav file (like Take 6 Take 2.wav, Take 6 Take 3.wav, Take 6 Take 4.wav) and these .wav files are inserted automatically on the audio track (over the existing audio file)

Audacity by itself is working fine.

The problem arises with all sorts of videos with various audio codecs - avi, wmv, etc.

I've even tried to export the audio file after switching off my anti-virus etc. just in case they were interfering with it.

I've never encountered this error with the previous editions of Vegas. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Shuva

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Vegas Pro Edit 13 unable to open audio in external editor Audacity
on Apr 20, 2014 at 6:21:16 pm

Try going to the Preferences and make sure that
"Close media files when not the active application" is selected.
See if that helps.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Shuva Raha
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:19:07 pm

Hi Steve, thank you for taking the time to write to me. The option is checked by default in Preferences, as is the one about audio ports.

After a couple of uninstall / re-installs, the problem has become arbitrary.

Now most times I can export audio clips normally. Sometimes the error does appear, but restarting Vegas allows me to export the same clip normally.

Other parameters: at least 1TB free on all Vegas- and content-related drives; 12 GB RAM; raw files - avi/mp3 or wmv/wma - b/w 1 - 2 GB each, only 2 - 5 processed at a time.

I'm not able to replicate the error a 100% anymore and with this vague input I can't ask you to expend more time on this. Once again, thank you very much for reverting.

Shuva

Return to posts index

Alexander Smith
on Nov 2, 2014 at 6:27:21 pm

Here's a workaround for those still having the problem regularly (like me):

• RC on audio clip --> Open Copy in Audio Editor

• Clear the error(s)

• OPTIONAL: RC on audio clip --> Properties --OR-- Open In Trimmer. Confirm that the file is now a .wav

• RC on audio clip --> Open in Audio Editor --OR--- CTRL+E

• MSP is creating and syncing the wav correctly, but for some reason can't complete the handoff to Sound Forge. This gets around it, though it's a bit clunky.

Also, when you save and close Sound Forge, it will take up to 30 seconds (some say much longer) for MSP to restore media from the "media offline" state. If you prefer, save your work in MSP and restart; it will be instantly ready to go again.

Return to posts index

Shuva Raha
    on Nov 2, 2014 at 8:19:09 pm

I still have this problem intermittently - there is no specific reason that I can identify why I sometimes can open the file in Audacity and sometimes it gives the error. I'll try your workaround and report back on whether it eliminates the problem. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]