FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 13 Toolbar ???

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Young
Vegas 13 Toolbar ???
on Apr 18, 2014 at 2:58:27 am

Am I going nuts or is there no way to bring all the toolbar icons from the bottom of the timeline window back up above the timeline where they have been since Adam was boy. Find it annoying to have them at the bottom when I use a full screen depth for my timeline window.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Chris Young
Re: Vegas 13 Toolbar ???
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:41:11 am

Just discovered that the moving of the timeline editing tools to BELOW the timeline has been considered an improvement. Quote from V13 Help.

"Streamlined the main toolbar and added timeline-editing controls to the Transport and Timeline toolbar below the timeline."

I use one monitor for timelines, top to bottom. If I have tracks I'm working on right at the top of a monitor window in Vegas 12 and earlier the editing controls were there, right above the tracks, nice and close, a short mouse move away. Now I have to travel all the way down to the bottom of the screen to use the ripple or selection edit control or any other control for that matter. S-o-o-o much more time wasted with mouse movement it's crazy. Sure I know there are keyboard short cuts for most of these controls but if you want to use the mouse? " Well sorry folks... go the long way around."

Next build I hope they include a preferences option allowing these editing controls to be placed top or bottom. The editing control placement has been fine for years. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Anyone else seeing this as an improvement?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:13:28 pm

Can you take a screen cap to show what you're talking about?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:31:15 pm

I think what Chris is talking about is demonstrated in the Sony NAB video starting at the 2:08 mark.
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/video/related-most_popular/video-announcing_vegas1...

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:47:37 pm

Oh. That seems annoying. I hate when companies mess with things that are already easy to use and don't let you change them. Is there any way to move it back to where it was at the top?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:08:25 pm

There's no way that I'm aware of at the moment to move it.
More than a few users are upset and all I can suggest is to submit it as a product suggestion. If enough users let Sony know their feelings, they may change it in a future update.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/suggestions

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:23:39 pm

[Mike Kujbida] "There's no way that I'm aware of at the moment to move it.
More than a few users are upset and all I can suggest is to submit it as a product suggestion. If enough users let Sony know their feelings, they may change it in a future update.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/suggestions"

Just sent them a request to get it back, or at least let us put it where we want in Vegas.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:33:41 pm

Like everything else, there should be an option.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:07:54 pm

As others have pointed out it's a new "improvement" and when you think about it, every other NLE has the icons that affect the timeline right above or below the timeline so while it may make sense to you to have them somewhere completely different because "that's the way it's always been"... I think it's a great change because you now move your mouse less to gain access to them. It will also make more sense to future customers.

Sometimes change is good even if it means we have to get use to something new. I bet you'll edit faster in the end once you get use to it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tom Vance
on Apr 18, 2014 at 10:45:46 pm

I'm agreeing with you, JR. But, why not just make the whole shebang dockable and lockable?

tom

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 19, 2014 at 12:10:12 am

Yes, an option for those toolbar items to be top/bottom is all that is needed. This way each can work how it works best for them.

Vegas has options for the window docking tabs to be top/bottom, so why not toolbar(s).

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Apr 19, 2014 at 2:49:57 am

John, it may make mouse movements quicker for you but not if, as I and many others do, use one monitor for nothing but timeline display from top to bottom. The rest of my Vegas windows are on one or two other monitors.

If you run one monitor purely for timelines your timelines sit at the top of the screen and in the past it was like a couple of inches mouse travel to access the toolbar. If you only have one or two tracks sitting at the top of the screen you now have to travel 12 inches or so down to the very bottom to access the toolbar.

There should be the option to place toolbars as a dockable item. Like the time code window. Like in Photoshop. Place your toolbars wherever you want.

The other thing, the "new" (Hmm! We already have them in one form or another.) Shuffle, Slip, Slide etc. tools 'Quick' menu should also be accessible through a single key stroke mode like the current 'D' where you can cycle through the different control functions.

Is Vegas 13 worth the upgrade? For me yes because the loudness monitoring alone makes it much easier to meet broadcast compliance requirements.

Like in the US we now have a requirement called OP 59 which brings Australia and New Zealand into line with the US, Europe and many other places in the world who now measure soundtracks levels based on the average perceived loudness of the soundtrack. The addition of this alone is a big mover and shaker for me.

I'm glad to see we are still getting full GPU support for playback and rendering with Nvidia cards, three systems running GTX-550, 660 and a 680.

So far v12 has been like the Rock of Gibraltar for us. Looks like v13 should follow that example but very early days yet. Time will tell I guess.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 19, 2014 at 10:49:34 am

No matter the reasoning behind this repositioned toolbar,
an option is still needed if an editor wants it somewhere else.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Chris Young
on Apr 19, 2014 at 1:12:52 pm

Second that! If they can write code for docking windows I would think a docking toolbar wouldn't be too hard... would it?

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:12:13 pm
Last Edited By Ralph Hajik on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:14:50 pm

Hi Vegas Users,

I agree with with Tom that Sony Vegas should have the toolbar dockable to cure the issue or in the preferences should be a check box indicating the toolbar be placed top or bottom automatically. That seems to me to be an easy fix to the problem. Remember, a happy customer is always will always be a customer.

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 20, 2014 at 4:23:48 pm

Still pondering the Vegas 13 jump, and I don't think this is a big issue for me personally either way. But I will point out that lots of pro programs, including CAD tools I use that cost 20x what we pay for Vegas, have movable/dockable/user-definable toolbars.

This kind of brings me back to the Windows 8 UI and the arrogance of many companies in regard to their treatment of professionals. We are pros for a reason, and a big part of that means we sit in front of PCs some weeks for 50-100 hours using software tools.

The implication of this is profound and should be embraced by developers: we know our use of your tool better than you do. Whether that's Windows or Vegas or Altium, we pros use these tools more, and specifically more within our specialties, than the developers. Who are, after all, professional software developers. Not necessarily pros, and certainly not full timers, in the field of the specific application. In short, when we say a feature is important, they ought to listen. We know better.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Apr 20, 2014 at 7:26:22 pm

Ha. Well said, Dave!

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:47:26 am

Hey Mike,
I can't get to the video via the link. Is the link correct?

Gilles

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:57:38 am

Sorry Gilles but, for whatever reason, the link is now dead :(
I tried searching but nothing came up anywhere.

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:58:38 am

No worries Mike.
Thanks for checking.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:54:45 am

Gilles, I just came across this one on Facebook. It's not as good as the original one was but you do get a look at Pro 13.
http://www.productionhub.com/video/34821/sony-creative-software-nab-2014

Return to posts index

Gilles Gagnon
on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:16:38 pm

Thanks for digging this one out, Mike!

There doesn't seem to be much of a carrot for me in SVP 13.
How I wish they introduced various timelines in a single project like Premiere and FC.

I'll be sticking with SVP12 or finally switch to Premiere as the upcoming version has a few very interesting new features. Also love the tight AE integration that exists in PR. Like many here, I just may use both. The fun continues.

Gilles

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Apr 22, 2014 at 8:19:56 pm

Ok, now that I've tried using Vegas Pro 13, I don't mind. I absolutely think we should be able to dock it where we want or just have it left at the top, but I always used shortcuts for those functions, anyways. So this is a case of Sony making a bad decision that merely ends up being innocuous, but I don't want them making decisions like this.

Return to posts index

Robert St-Onge
on Apr 23, 2014 at 12:34:29 pm

It would definitely be great if you could dock the toolbar. I always felt it should of been placed right above the timeline to quickly access your editing tools.

Also, the Shuffle, Slip, Slide, Time Stretch and Split Tools in the Quick Menu should of been sitting individually across the toolbar for immediate access and have keyboard shortcuts assigned to each of them or a cycle command. The quick menu is counterintuitive and just slows down the tools accessibility.

Hopefully these issues will be addressed in a soon to be released update. This would make me upgrade to V13.

Return to posts index

Barry Hull
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:35:12 pm

JR,

I agree. I am liking the tool bar at the bottom, although the option would be nice.

That being said, I would like to be able to customize the "Timeline Toolbar" with Ultimate S Pro features the same way I can customize the "Timeline".

Is that possible, and if so, can you make that happen at VASST??

Would be nice. Thanks.

Barry W. Hull

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 24, 2014 at 11:29:05 am

[Barry Hull] "That being said, I would like to be able to customize the "Timeline Toolbar" with Ultimate S Pro features the same way I can customize the "Timeline". Is that possible, and if so, can you make that happen at VASST??"
No, the toolbar at the top of the application is the only place that you can add script icons. This is controlled by Sony. I would make a Product Suggestion to Sony for this feature.

~jr

Return to posts index

Barry Hull
on Apr 24, 2014 at 1:01:50 pm

Thanks JR, I'll do that.

I thought since there are options for "Customize Toolbar" and "Customize Timeline Toolbar" that you (VASST) would have access to both.

Barry W. Hull

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:16:02 am

[Barry Hull] "I thought since there are options for "Customize Toolbar" and "Customize Timeline Toolbar" that you (VASST) would have access to both."
Actually what Im trying to explain is that we (VASST) don't have access to either. I have no idea how Sony determines what to show in those lists. They seem to list scripts and extensions in no particular order in one and only internal Vegas functions in the other. This is completely out of our control.

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]