FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB 2.0 slowing me down?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Caleb Weaver
USB 2.0 slowing me down?
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:10:10 pm

I am working on an HD project and Vegas has slowed to the point of basically not working. I am editing 1080/30fps M-JPEG A files off of a 2T hard drive. It is plugged into a USB 2.o port. I'm editing with Vegas movie studio platinum 10 on a quad core 2.60 ghz processor. I have about five minutes of footage in the timeline...is it my USB transfer speeds that are killing me or just my old computer?

Thanks in advance and apologize if this has already been answered.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: USB 2.0 slowing me down?
on Apr 18, 2014 at 11:02:32 am

The easiest way to test it is to copy the footage to an internal drive. Hopefully you have at least two internal drives. My guess is that your computer is too old to keep up though as I edit a lot of my HD material from external USB 2.0 drives all the time with no issues.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:17:24 pm

I used to edit 1080p HD footage (captured from MiniDV) that was stored on a Lacie external drive via USB and never had an issue with Vegas Pro 8 performing slowly, and that was on an old Intel Core 2 laptop. It can be a number of things causing your problem. Is the footage AVCHD clips?

Dave

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:09:20 pm

No, I am editing dslr footage so I have to convert it to mjpeg a.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:42:31 pm

If platinum supports the MXF file format, I highly recommend converting your files to that format instead as it's a format that Vegas likes and edits very easily.
Failing that, I highly recommend upgrading your software. You're trying to edit footage from a new(er) camera with old software and that's not always the right thing to do. The upgrade price is very reasonable.

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:05:18 pm

Unfortunately I cannot convert to MXF or any Sony format. I am working towards moving to Premier but for the time being I'm stuck on Vegas.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:16:19 pm

I trust that you're aware of the fact that Premiere (like all Adobe products) has gone to a subscription model and that you can no longer buy any of their products, only rent them on a monthly basis.
You may want to consider upgrading to Vegas Pro which can be done as cheaply as $224.95 U.S.
More details and various upgrade offers can be found here.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/buy/upgrades

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:33:43 pm

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I'll check into Vegas Pro again, but I'd really like to go more towards the industry standard.

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:44:12 pm

In that case, why not make the move now. Creative Cloud has a very low price right now, and you can jump right in and start learning how Premiere Pro can solve your problems.

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:08:27 pm

Because my half-edited project file won't transfer (as far as I know) and because I don't have time at the moment to learn a new editing system.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:48:15 pm

One of the main reasons for going with an "industry standard" NLE is if you need to interchange projects with other editors on a regular basis. If that's the case, then go ahead and make the switch. I deal with Premiere, FCP and Avid users periodically and never have any issues exchanging projects with them. Pick a common format and stick to it.

If you have to deliver material for broadcast, there are several users (me included) on here and other Vegas forums who deliver product using Vegas.

The final decision is yours to make. Just make sure that you go into it with both eyes wide open.

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:06:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. Exchanging projects is definitely one reason I'm wanting to switch.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:13:33 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:15:22 pm

I would buy a USB 3.0 card for your old computer and some USB 3.0 drives. USB 2.0 is kinda slow for HD especially if you have very large files or multiple tracks of HD video (or both). I do all of my editing on USB 3.0 drives and have no problems. In fact, my USB 3.0 drive is faster than my internal laptop drive! Plus I can move it to my desktop and keep on editing.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Caleb Weaver
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:40:47 pm

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 20, 2014 at 12:18:27 am