FORUMS: list search recent posts

Max size/quality still from Vegas timeline

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Gregoriades
Max size/quality still from Vegas timeline
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:57:05 pm

Hello again, long time...
Question, please. I would like to capture a "still" .jpg from a video on the Vegas timeline. But would like the maximum, best size/quality still pic. available.
It appears that the Vegas "capture" is dependent on the "Preview Window Display" which in my case I can only enlarge to about 720x520 due to laptop screen limitations.
Is there a way to capture stills from Vegas (11) if the original frames are of higher size/quality?
Thank you
John

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Max size/quality still from Vegas timeline
on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:00:34 pm
Last Edited By Norman Black on Apr 14, 2014 at 9:01:10 pm

As long as you preview mode is set to auto it will always go best-full when you press the snapshot button.

When I have had preview set to half or quarter I noticed I did not get full size stills. Typically for me that means 1920x1080. I say this from memory, and I think this is a quirk. It probably should still switch to best-full when you have specifically set half/quarter. Maybe they intended it that way.

You can always set the preview window manually to best-full and then snapshot and then go back to what you had before. You should not need to do this, but as a last resort this should always get you what you want.

Return to posts index

John Gregoriades
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:29:56 pm

Thank you, Norman,
But I must be doing something wrong...
I set the Preview at "Best Full," enlarged its view as much as possible on-screen, then placed two clips onto the timeline, then extracted "stills" from both of them.
One was an XXX.MP4 from a Nokia N95-8G Cellphone, and the other an xxx.MOV from a Nikon 5100 DSLR. I then viewed their attributes via a photo editing program: Corell Paint Shop Pro X6. They both came out 655x480 pixels, which cannot be correct.
(I am not sure what their video resolution is, but the Nokia takes 5 megapixel stills, 2592x1944 pixels, and the Nikon takes 4741x3225 pixel stills.)

John23GR

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 14, 2014 at 11:54:35 pm

It does not matter what your preview window size is. When you use the snapshot button you get an image that is the same size as your project settings. I am assuming you are using the Vegas snapshot button which is in the top portion of the preview window.

For more info you can enter the word, snapshot, into the Vegas helpo file index tab. This is what the help topic on, "Save the current frame as a file", says,

Click the Save Snapshot to File button to save the current frame as an image file.

You can change the size of the image using the Preview Quality button: choose Auto or Full to capture the frame at its full resolution, or choose Half or Quarter to capture a smaller image.

The Save Snapshot to File dialog is displayed to allow you to choose the format and location where you want to save the file. The file is automatically added to the Project Media window.

Return to posts index

John Gregoriades
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:54:24 am

Thank you! It was the "project properties" that controlled the size of the captured still frame. Changed that and the resulting photos were the size of the project properties, e.g., 1920x1080.

John23GR

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]