FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XA25 interlaced v progressive

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Bourke
Canon XA25 interlaced v progressive
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:55:09 pm

Folks,

Slightly OT, but wanted to ask the gurus here for some advice.

Am trialing a canon XA25. Superb quality, and edits very nicely in VP12. No lag, quality excellent.

My question is about interlaced v progressive. When I set the camera settings for 25 FPS prog (in PAL land here in Ireland) the media properties show it as interlaced. The manual says it record 25p as 50i. I have searched around but cannot find out if I need to do anything to convert it to progressive. If I simply change the project properties to 'progressive' will that do the trick?

Slightly confused, as I know typically the advice is to leave well enough alone and let Vegas convert as necessary, but when I change the project properties to 'Prog' I see some interlacing artifacts, but when I change it back to Interlaced, it fills these in.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

mark thompson
Re: Canon XA25 interlaced v progressive
on Apr 15, 2014 at 9:20:33 am

Hi, just a suggestion - Sony Vegas has the concept of a default project template, i.e. it will assume that is what the media is unless you tell it otherwise.

Try creating a new empty project, does that say interlaced or progressive? i.e. what does it say in the first (Video) tab "Template" dropdown?

Then hit that button to the far right of the template, hover over it and it should say "Match Media Video Settings". if you press the button it will invite to select a clip from which it will take project settings. If you give it a progressive clip you should see a "p" in the template name. Just below to the right of "Field Order" it should display "None (progressive scan)"

If it still says interlaced the only thing I can suggest is double check the camera menu.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 15, 2014 at 3:00:05 pm

There are many cameras that record 25/30p but encode it is 50/60i. When you use match media Vegas should still identify the material as progressive since that is how it is encoded.

To get to progressive you still need to deinterlace the media. However since it was recorded as progressive you should be able to get a "perfect" deinterlace. You should be able to use the Blend deinterlace mode and get excellent results event with fast motion material. The field order is still important but using the project match media button or letting Vegas match media on the first media added to your project, Vegas should get that parameter correct for you.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 16, 2014 at 5:01:54 pm

Odd, I use 3, G30's (the same camera minus SDI and XLR), and I shoot 60p and Vegas sees 60p. Are you using the MP4 or AVCHD codec to record?

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:10:52 pm

Folks,

Thanks for all the answers.

First, I am recording AVCHD. I have confirmed that the menu setting for the frame-rate is set to 25FPS Progressive. However, the manual does have an asterisk beside this setting, and says that it records 25P as 50i. Mediainfo says that it is 25 FPS, interlaced, top-field first.

In vegas, the project properties says 25 Pal, interlaced, upper-field-first.

I will try various render settings and subjectively try to judge which is correct, but I would really like to understand what is the correct way to handle this as i would hate to give out discs which don;t look their best, or behave correctly.

Really confused...

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:27:03 am

I would try recording the highest bitrate on the MP4 side and see what Vegas sees it at. I use that setting all the time and get great results and it sees it as progressive....

Editing quality (as far as preview) is about the same in my experience..

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]