FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Correct Crushed Blacks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curtis Upshall
How to Correct Crushed Blacks
on Apr 12, 2014 at 6:41:51 pm

After rendering a video, my saturation becomes too high and I'm getting crushed blacks. I've added the Computer RGB to Studio RGB filter, and I really like the look of the preview window. When I render the work, the blacks are too dark and I'm not seeing nearly as much detail as I thought I'd see. I've unchecked the levels plugin, and I've noticed that it looks the exact same as the final render. Does this mean the software is not rendering the plugin?

I'm using the Sony AVC codec. I've tried viewing the video clip in VLC, Windows Media Player and the Quicktiem player, but they all look the same. What can I do to correct this? Should I increase settings on the filter?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: How to Correct Crushed Blacks
on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:22:50 pm

IF the Vegas preview window, with the computer to studio effect OFF looks the same as your Sony AVC render with the computer to studio effect ON when played in a video player then...

Your source video is full range.

Sony AVC encodes expects studio range levels.

The Vegas preview window only shows correct levels if it is given full range data.

Therefore for your playback to look the same as your video encode you have to do different things to your video footage to get same look for editing and video player playback.

There are many ways to go about this and I'll suggest one.

Make sure all your source footage is studio levels on the timeline.

If source footage is full range then put a media fx, computer to studio effect on each media file. If your source is already studio, then there is nothing to do.

On your output fx (in the preview window), put a studio to computer effect.

During editing, the levels output effect should be enabled. When you encode (render as), this levels adjustment should be disabled.

Now your preview window and final output in a media player window should match.

If you have more contrast than you like then add a media/track/event effect to reduce your contrast, or whatever you do not like about saturation, brightness, gamma etcetera.

Hope this helps and that I was clear enough.

This whole mess comes about because many new AVC cameras output full range data.
The Vegas preview window does not have a levels adjustment option like the external preview device has. A Sony mistake IMO.

Return to posts index

William Dean
on Nov 23, 2014 at 4:49:32 am

Norman, I'm having the EXACT same issue, looks good in preview window, but crushed blacks and even slitly elevated crushed whites.

Iv'e gone over your post word per word, and even looked at every pull down on the top, looked at every FX available, and really have to say that I couldn't find one single thing you mentioned in your instructions. No computer to studio effect in FX at all. No "levels output effect" to enable or disable, it's almost as though we were speaking of two different programs. Feel free to maybe correct some verbiage or show me how dense I am that I can't find any of the mentioned adjustments.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Nov 23, 2014 at 11:19:17 am

William, what version of Vegas are you using and is it Pro or Movie Studio?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]