FORUMS: list search recent posts

mxf/content browser

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
barry dowding
mxf/content browser
on Apr 11, 2014 at 5:33:47 pm

Having obtained a Sony EX1R camera I imported MXF files via Content Browser to Vegas 12. Although the video image appears OK, when dragged to the timeline on each clip there is a small box label stating 'Recstart'. It is annoying to say the least as it obscures a bit of the image although this label is not seen when the clip is played in the preview window.
AND more annoying is that the audio tracks when on the timeline show no sound pattern, just straight lines. The sound recorded plays but no pattern. Even more puzzling is when I open the audio file in Sound Forge again no sound image is seen AND more puzzling 4 tracks are shown. As I often use the sound image for syncing I need it. When I 'normalise' the sound clip the pattern appears but this can't be right to have to do this for every clip. I am probably missing something basic but can anyone help please?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: mxf/content browser
on Apr 11, 2014 at 8:41:01 pm

[barry dowding] "When I 'normalise' the sound clip the pattern appears but this can't be right to have to do this for every clip. I am probably missing something basic but can anyone help please?"
It sounds like you recorded your audio too low. The fix is to raise the volume on your camera next time. You are correct that you should be seeing nice sized waves without having to normalize. The VU meters should be showing you how low your unnormalized audio really is.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 12, 2014 at 1:37:26 am

Barry, please say what you get in the VU meters BEFORE you normalize. You may very well have your audio monitoring setup incorrectly. Meaning, if you're SEEING flatlined waveforms, but CAN hear them then normalising will make the audio much louder.

If this is NOT the case then your waveform redrawing is incorrectly showing the graphic and THEN we'd need to look deeper. But until we'd know just how you are audio monitoring your actual Levels it's only a guess.

What you HAVENT said is that as you play the Audio it is "quiet" and when you Normalize it becomes Louder.

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

barry dowding
on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:55:30 am

Thanks for the input Graham, before I normalise the meter shows barely 48 but after between 12 and 24 and louder. Right clicking the meter shows it set at 0 - 60. Also the puzzling thing is when clips from a HDV camera are on the same timeline the HDV cam clips sound waves are normal whereas the EX clips remain flat. Even after normalising the EX clip and opening it in Sound Forge the sound waves are not visible (but the sound is). After ensuring that "Import MXF as Multichannel" was checked I have four sound channels instead of two (I normally import stereo as two mono channels. I have tried recording with the level wheels on the EX to near max but the sound waves are still not visible. My brain hurts!!

Return to posts index

barry dowding
on Apr 12, 2014 at 9:40:24 am

Thanks John but I tried increasing the level wheels on the camera to near max but the result was the same. The VU meter after right clicking shows 0-60.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:26:48 am

[barry dowding] "I tried increasing the level wheels on the camera to near max but the result was the same."
What microphone are you using? Is it a condenser mic? You probably need to use a hotter mic.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Apr 12, 2014 at 4:21:15 am

Hi,
The _RecStart box you see is/are known as 'Media Markers'. Sony puts this one in by default (the essence mark) but you can enter others as part of your workflow. If you do not want to see them: (in Vegas) View > Event Media Markers then uncheck Show Marker Labels. Also the Ingest (er?) may have specified In and Out points, it is good information. I'm not sure if Vegas takes these as suggestions but I think it will act upon if you haven't set your own point, so if you do stop viewing media markers, it may hide the in out points as well.

To see all your audio channels make sure "Import Mxf as Multichannel" is selected on Options > Preferences > General . You may see 8 mono channels (perhaps 4 for the EX1). If you don't do this something (e.g. Content Browser 1.1 or Vegas) will mix it down to one stereo channel - but you are better off being in control of the mix. Even the 8 channels seem to be composite.

As others have suggested, if you didn't record the correct levels you may be out of luck.

Return to posts index

barry dowding
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:00:13 am

Thanks Mark, I have now removed the Media Markers and rather me type the info again I have replied to other helpful suggestions regarding the sound level issue.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 12, 2014 at 12:33:43 pm

Barry, I use a JVC HM-750. Like the EX1R (which I've used a few times), it shoots in MP4 format which I rewrap to MXF using the free XDCAM EX Clip Browser. I've never experienced the issues you're having. Can you shoot and upload a few seconds of video from your camera for us to test?

Return to posts index

mark thompson
on Apr 12, 2014 at 2:35:07 pm

Hi,
the reason you see four channels in soundforge is because your camera has four channels, its a feature and not a bug! What goes on what channel is configurable in the camera menu. A typical configuration is you have the internal mic on ch3 and ch4 and the xlr on ch1 and ch2. If you didn't use any external mic only the stereo channels are heard. However vegas has mixed the four channels down to two. Going back to the camera menu; I assume you acquired this camera and in the past somebody has configured it - so you need to look at the sound menu and report back on how it is configured.
Ok, I said the camera has 4 channels but you will probably see 8 in vegas (and Premiere for that matter). Now why do they have 8? I still haven't that out :-( Perhaps Sony have cameras with 6 xlr? Not that it matters because vegas and content browser together give you a default stereo mix. You (Barry) should now see 8 mono channels. It may be that all the unexpected channels are off-screen. Check to see if all of them have no waveform.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]