FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13, 4k and GPUs

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Hart
Sony Vegas Pro 13, 4k and GPUs
on Apr 4, 2014 at 7:37:55 pm

Nvidia and AMD are announcing new GPUs for editing stations. I wonder if Sony will announce compatible GPUs for the new Vegas 13.

New GPUs
http://nofilmschool.com/2014/03/meet-2-desk-supercomputers-nvidia-amd-works...

AMD Firepro with SVP 13
http://fireuser.com/blog/a_whos_who_at_nab_2014_in_the_amd_firepro_booth_sh...

"4K real-time video processing using the new Vegas Pro 13 running on a Dell workstation with an AMD FirePro W9100 displayed to a Dell 32" 4K display"

Looks like a really hot (expensive) set up. I hope Sony properly lists compatible GPUs and doesn't make us go through all the confusion re: GPUs like they did with SVP 12

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13, 4k and GPUs
on Apr 4, 2014 at 7:58:39 pm

Most likely they will.
But i personally dont bother with GPU Cards, I am much happier.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:04:38 am

How is your preview quality Steve if you do not use GPU cards? Only reason I bought into the whole thing was better preview...

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:41:28 am

My preview quality is absolutely perfect Scott.
And i spit out Broadcast ready content on a daily
bases and quickly too, without even a glitch, for
both clients and Television/Cable Networks.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:42:51 am

What is your media and what is you processor and graphics card?

Thanks for your help!

Scott Francis

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:31:48 am
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:54:53 am

I work with every form of media and broadcast media Scott, including
varied formats from many a client (plugins assists with some).
If you read one of my earlier post on this whole GPU Card mess,
Its outline there where i simply use the average Joe off the shelf
laptops....Done!

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:50:29 pm

I find this amazing. I use Intel i5 and i7, AMD 8 cores, and 16GB of ram and don't get good previews. I am using MP4 and AVC mostly (from my Canon G10's, G30's and Blackmagic ATEM's) and barely get Preview Full quality. When I add FX's often times it gets worse. Keyframing and borders (before pan/tilt) and I can't even get it to play smooth, and yet you get smooth playback with a laptop....Lucky to be you I guess Steve!!!
Been using SVP since like version 4.
I must say older MPEG2 video and such or just one track can be fairly good. But I often am editing 6-12 video streams as separate events and it can grind, especially once I add audio FX to up to 20 tracks of audio.
Hope SVP13 is better!!

Scott Francis

Return to posts index

Thomas Roberts
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:33:56 pm

Steve,

Do you have any photos of your workstation/Edit System?

Thanks,

Thomas

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 6, 2014 at 5:26:51 pm

I have no photos...here is the workstation

AMD FX-8350 8 core
120gig SSD main drive
16 GB DDR3 ram
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard
Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCI-e card
Radeon HD 6780 - GPU (this was purchased based on it being used in GPU testing by SCS when SVP11 came out with GPU acceleration)
About 8TB of other SATA HD's

Scott Francis

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:31:43 am

Vegas is GPU agnostic since it uses OpenCL. OpenCL can be implemented on a GPU or even a CPU. Your system has an OpenCL driver for the CPU but Vegas does not put it in the list of OpenCL devices.

I would expect that the Vegas 13 compatible GPUs will be the same list as the Vegas 12 compatible GPUs. Why would it be any different?

The real thing is the SCS must get their bugs trimmed down, and Nvidia and AMD need to get their OpenCL bugs trimmed down. Only if BOTH get it under control will we get stability like with CPU only.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 9, 2014 at 1:15:44 pm

[Norman Black] "Vegas is GPU agnostic since it uses OpenCL. OpenCL can be implemented on a GPU or even a CPU. Your system has an OpenCL driver for the CPU but Vegas does not put it in the list of OpenCL devices.

I would expect that the Vegas 13 compatible GPUs will be the same list as the Vegas 12 compatible GPUs. Why would it be any different?"

Vegas itself is certainly GPU-agnostic... OpenCL runs on many different things, and it hasn't changed much or dramatically over time, which is a good way to keep things headed toward stability.

On the other hand, some plug-ins are less well-behaved. Some still only support nVidia's proprietary CUDA GPGPU system, though nothing that's part of Vegas-proper. And then there's the Main Concept AVC CODEC. This is very nicely accelerated, but they hard-code the supported GPUs, and only run OpenCL or CUDA on those. So anyone after top performance with AVC in Vegas has a problem... older GPUs may actually be faster than newer ones, at least for rendering the whole project.

As well, there are some weird artificial limitations in various nVidia drivers. They slow down certain OpenGL operations in the consumer/desktop GPU drivers (to justify the higher price of the Workstation cards), and some OpenCL/CUDA operations in both the desktop and workstation drivers (to justify the even higher price of the "computing" cards). It would be awfully nice to see Vegas not only update this stuff, but provide some 2014-era benchmarking on how well GPGPU is doing these days. Vegas 12 was an improvement over Vegas 11 in GPU support, and yet they barely even mentioned it.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]