<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Kutnick
iZotope RX 3 SALE
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:46:53 pm

A colleague just notified me of the following:

iZotope:

RX 3 Advanced-- Price: Reg $1,199.00, Sale $749.00 USD
RX 3-- Price: Reg $349.00 Sale $249.00 USD

I have been told that this is the de facto audio repair software. Agree or disagree? One third off, to boot!

Is this a Vegas plug-in or standalone program that requires creating a new audio clip and manually inserting it into the timeline?

So is the standard package good enough for us, or do we REALLY need the advanced?

Comments from those that are familiar with and use this software?

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: iZotope RX 3 SALE
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:20:24 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. It's been my go to repair tool for a few years now. The word magic has been used to describe just how good this software is.

I only have the RX version so you need to decide if you want to spend the extra money on the advanced version. It does come with several more features but, as you say, the price is be a factor.

It's a standalone product but you can set it as your default audio editor in Vegas so that all you do is select an audio event, right click and choose "open copy in iZotope".

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:54:17 pm

So then, the question Mike is: has the standard version adequately worked for you? Have you had one or more occasions where you wish that you had the Advanced version and absolutely needed the added features? This is a BIG decision with a potentially BIG price tag, so I want to be sure that I am not purchasing the whole farm when all I need is the barn (LOL)...and what about the sale prices--good deals, in your opinion?

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Apr 4, 2014 at 7:05:39 pm

Rich, the sales prices are definitely a great deal.
When RX3 came out, I took a long look at the differences between the two.
If you haven't seen it, there's a comparison chart at RX 3 comparison
The Deverb module really interested me but I decided that, given the limited number of times I might need it, it wasn't worth the extra dollars.
I know a few other members on here have this software so I hope that they will jump in with their opinion.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:01:14 pm

AGREE!
But still a little steep.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 4, 2014 at 10:31:19 pm

VooDoo, pure VooDoo.....

G

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 5, 2014 at 1:40:21 pm

[Rich Kutnick] "I have been told that this is the de facto audio repair software. Agree or disagree? "
Agree. It doesn't get any better than iZotope RX. It can do things that we once thought were impossible. I highly recommend it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:04:19 pm

No doubt that I now am sold on this product. The main question is which version I should purchase. Any suggestions on how to decide? Is the Advanced version so advanced that it really is made for Hollywood level audio correction? I am hoping that the basic version alone will do wonders, but...???

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:32:44 pm
Last Edited By Bob Peterson on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:40:46 pm

I upgraded from the basic version to the advanced version hoping that the advanced version would produce even better results for what I had found so useful in the basic version. I did not see any improvement in the basic functions, like denoising and spectral repair, that I had found so useful. They seemed to be identical to the basic version. The advanced version does include additional functions that may or may not be useful. That is what you have to figure out. I have not yet found a lot of uses for the additional functions, and I am a bit disappointed with the advanced version.

I really do not like one change that was made between version 2 and 3. Version 3 has dropped the scan button from the gain control. Thus, it has no ability to tell you how much the gain can be increased before clipping occurs. I now usually run version 2 to find this number, and may or may not do additional processing in version 3. I am very perplexed as to why they dumbed down the gain control.

Return to posts index

Alexey Lukin
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:37:27 pm

[Bob Peterson] "Version 3 has dropped the scan button from the gain control."

There's now a key combination Alt+d for scanning levels:
http://izotope-rx.livejournal.com/2330.html

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:43:19 pm

Bob, thanks for your candid appraisal. Your input is much appreciated. Your observations have helped me to determine that I will purchase the basic version, and if needs be, upgrade at a later time should my audio restoration needs require such. Also a big thanks to everyone else who has contributed to this thread!!

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 5, 2014 at 9:35:55 pm

I've found so much more in the Advanced edition that I couldn't go back to the other versions.

It isn't just about the Dereverb, it's the whole finesse of existing and additional controls that after much hand-wringing by me, made me spend the extra.

Look, I needed to purchase and download EXTRA tutorials to drill down into the more autopsic approaches that Advance can add to the toolset - and I'm still learning. However, the results are truly astounding.

Here are some of the ADVANCED features that I've needed to spend maybe weeks of learning to nail down.

1/- Advanced Declick options for precise control. I wasn't aware just how much more I could adapt to the removal of bad-noise I could actually remove.

2/- Multi-resolution Spectral Repair modes. In English - this is difficult to write down, but hearing IS understanding.

3/- Advanced Denoise options for precise control

4/- Adaptive Denoise mode. This freaky! It listens to the Dialogue and adapts BACK noise removal . . . .

Your approach, to consider purchasing later, is exactly what I did.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Bob Peterson
on Apr 6, 2014 at 1:07:49 pm

Where did you purchase the extra tutorials?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 6, 2014 at 3:47:06 pm
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Apr 6, 2014 at 4:27:04 pm

2 Places:-

A] Mike Thornton Groove 3 - iZotope RX 3 Explained for £22.60 - GBP . I purchased this directly from iZotope. This was an "extra" I opted for when I was purchasing ADVANCED.

B] iZotope RX 3 Audio Repair Toolbox. It was this set of Tutorials that got me interested in the further, finer options in ADVANCED and onwards . . . .

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 6, 2014 at 11:21:02 pm

I downloaded the trial today. In SVP 12, the VST Declicker, Declipper and Hum Removal plug-ins all work, but the Decrackler, Denoiser and Spectral Repair plug-ins crash (in several files) when I attempt to OK the respective plug-in for trial use. These crashing plug-ins DO NOT crash when in the program's standalone mode. FYI, I have New Blue plugins in my C:\Program Files(x86)\VSTPlugins folder AND BlueCAt and Izotope plugins in my C:\Program Files(x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins folder. Vegas has all of these listed in Options under the VST tab. Curious is that where the Izotope VST files are located there appear two DLLs for each plug-in, for instance: iZotope RX 3 Denoiser.dll AND iZRX3Denoiser.dll, the former 2 megs and the latter 11 megs in size--and both have the same date/timestamp (as do the like others). Any thoughts about all of this? I sent a trouble report to Izotope, and hope that it can be worked out before the sale ends or it won't do me any good!!

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 7, 2014 at 4:42:28 am

iZotope ships as both VST and DirectX version of their plug-ins. Perhaps this is the reason to two DLL's. Try using the DirectX version if the VST version is crashing. I have RX2 and it's working fine. I haven't tried RX3 yet.

~jr

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 7, 2014 at 12:32:10 pm

I completely uninstalled/reinstalled iZotope RX3, and the crashing disappeared. I believe that the two sets of dlls are 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I only see iZotope VST plug-ins in SVP 12--no standard DirectX versions are in the audio plug-ins selections when that box pops up. I believe that DirectX versions are installed, I just don't know where or how to access them. Are there test files out there with bad audio that one can access to learn how to use iZotope's repair features? This would be of great help!

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:53:26 pm

[Rich Kutnick] "Are there test files out there with bad audio that one can access to learn how to use iZotope's repair features? "
Not that I know of, but any YouTube video of a lecture usually has horrible audio that can be improved. I've almost processed a few myself because I couldn't stand to listen to the noise in the background. lol

~jr

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 18, 2014 at 9:24:51 pm

1/- Hum removal

2/- Clipping

3/- PLUS a little De-SSing using OZONE5

G

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 20, 2014 at 12:29:45 pm

I went through the docs suggested by iZotope's Tech Support (and having a busted-down demo version did not help, nor did they resolve the crashing in SVP 12 that I had to figure out myself). I tried to correct the anomalies in the sample clips (orchestra, speech, etc.), but not only did I not know what I was doing but anything that I did apparently made no difference! They did not steer me to any tutorial that I could follow along, step-by-step, and make corrections, much less understand what I was doing!! I am very disappointed with the way that they treated me, so I guess that I will save my hard-earned money for SVP 13 and the New Blue upgrades. If anyone knows of a way to learn RX3 before purchasing, please let me know.

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Alexey Lukin
on Apr 20, 2014 at 12:47:25 pm

Rich, I'm not sure if you've seen, but there are some materials on RX at iZotope's web-site:
iZotope RX Reference Manual
Free Guide: Audio Repair with RX 3 (with samples to follow along)
RX Tips from a Pro: Mike Thornton with 10 Tutorials on RX 2

Return to posts index

Rich Kutnick
on Apr 20, 2014 at 1:00:38 pm

As stated, I DID download the iZotope RX Reference Manual and Free Guide: Audio Repair with RX 3 (with samples to follow along); these contain no specifics, but rather generalizations on how to repair audio anomalies--the audio samples repairs suggestions were very vague, IMHO!!

However, iZotope Tech Support did NOT point me to the YouTube videos RX Tips from a Pro: Mike Thornton with 10 Tutorials on RX 2!! Perhaps these may be more specific and hand-holding, at least enough for me to get a basic grip and understanding about what is going on!!

I thank you so much for this insight and hope to check it out before the end of the month!!

Rich Kutnick
VIDEO IMPRESSIONS

Return to posts index

Tenchi Muyo
on May 3, 2014 at 10:44:33 pm
Last Edited By Tenchi Muyo on May 4, 2014 at 8:21:55 am

Rich, did you bought any version of RX3 ?

I did, it i bought the iZotope RX3 Advanced Edition.

First i installed the trial and watch some YT videos.

But then i bought the earlier mentioned video tutorials to get a deeper
description.

https://www.askvideo.com/course/izotope-rx3-audio-repair-toolbox
http://www.groove3.com/str/iZotope-RX-3-Explained.html

This helped me to decide that i want the RX3 really :)

The price hurts,
i'am no audio guy and i am new to soundforge 11 i only want to use Sony Vegas & Adobe Premiere.

But what i tried was really impressive i remove a scream (in one of my videos) during music,
it was so easy remove this scream - fantastic!

During my trial period i contacted the izotope a lot and i get every time a helpfull answer.

BTW: i bought the program from another vendor for $689 with the insight plugin for free ($499,-).

It was really a inner fight to invest so much money - i hope it will "to turn to account" in the next years.

But one thing was clear from the begining,
only the Advanced is/was the right choice :D

BTW: i already own Sonys Spectral Layers 2 (because of the audio master edition),
it looks like RX3 but the RX3 has a much faster user interface.

But i think you cant compare both programs they are much different.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]