FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas 11 32bit: Is it normal to render 10hrs???

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raf Erosa
Vegas 11 32bit: Is it normal to render 10hrs???
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:36:01 am

Is it normal for a 30 min video rendering to the MPG2 720p @12mbps to take 8 to 10 hours to render? I am trying to render mpeg2 1280x720 12mbps (Upperfield first) so I can upload to Comcast. I usually dont have a problem because I used to upload 30 sec commercials. Now I am doing a 30 min tv show. UUGGH!

Is there anyone who is using only Vegas without any additional programs that has successfully uploaded to comcast or any other major TV station? If so, can you please show a screen shot of your render settings? Also, how long does it take you to render a 30min show?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vegas 11 32bit: Is it normal to render 10hrs???
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:37:30 am

The one thing, in all your comparisons, is you didn't say how long that 30 second commercial took you to render. How long did that take? What FX/Colour Correction or any grading are you using in the 30 minute? I'd need to know a lot more to be able to make an informed view just why the 30 minute is taking the time you state. Also 12mb/sec is massive number that may take a lot more time than a lower one.

BTW, you're rendering to interlace. What is your media and what are your Project settings?

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Raf Erosa
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:24:50 am

The commercial took about 3 hours.

ok..As for the 30 min show, I will try to answer as much as I can. (My other computer is rendering as we speak, so I cant check the settings)

The project was shot with a cannon xa10. I have conservative broadcast color correction. Upper field, lower thirds, HD till photos, fade-ins and outs,and texts.

Project settings MPg2 720p (1080x720) 29.92fps @12mbps cbr,

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:28:48 am

[Raf Erosa] "Is it normal for a 30 min video rendering to the MPG2 720p @12mbps to take 8 to 10 hours to render? I am trying to render mpeg2 1280x720 12mbps (Upperfield first) so I can upload to Comcast. I usually dont have a problem because I used to upload 30 sec commercials. Now I am doing a 30 min tv show. UUGGH!"

Ok, a couple of things here. There's no "normal", since a video project can be anything, and it can be running on anything from an old Pentium to a dozens of modern CPU cores. I have AVC projects that render faster than realtime, and animation projects that take four hours for two minutes of video. And that's on a very fast PC.

So, first of all, it's fairly easy to find where your bottleneck might be. Start your render. Run the Windows Task Manager, and watch how the CPU is being used.

Do you have 90% or more CPU utilization? That's a pretty good indication that your project is optimal for your hardware. The last time my system took really long to render, I was rendering 1080/60i HDV (MPEG-2) video to AVC (MPEG-4) for Blu-ray on an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz system. It ran about 24 hours rendering per hour of video. MPEG-2 is much easier to render, the bitrate not usually a big factor. So if this is you, nailing your CPU, you may just need a better PC. But post more details, maybe we can help.

Are you running any really CPU-intensive plug-ins, Neat Video for one? If so, yeah, this is going to eat CPU like a fat kid eats cake. On a slower system, color grading can also be slow-ish. If I have video that's noisy enough for Neat Video, I'll do my color grading and the Neat setup, run that out to some good intermediate format (probably while not counting on using my PC for something else for a day or two, if possible), and then not worry about that level of slowdown ever again.

Are you seeing something like 25% CPU use on a four-core system, 50% CPU use on a 2-core system, etc? That tells you that some plug-in you're using is single-threaded, and thus the bottleneck in your system. Try disabling plug-ins until you see the numbers jump.. then stop using that inferior plug-in and find something from this century that does the same job with multi-threading.

Do you get either really low or somewhat random CPU performance? Check your media assets for the project. Hard drives as video input are fast, but they're straight line fast... a GTO, not a Porsche. Streaming speed is fast, but seek time, not so much. For each file you need at the same time, you have one additional seek. Add up enough of these and your HDD performance drops through the floor. First thing to do: render your output to something else. Doesn't matter what.. any other drive, a network share, a USB stick, an SD card. Going out at 12Mb/s is not a performance issue, but it can be a latency issue if you're sucking in large input files.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:48:02 am

30 Second Commercial = 3 hours. That's equivalent to 6 hours per minute.

This implies that your 30 minute project-render time is way faster than your 30 second commercial being rendered.

Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Raf Erosa
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:54:11 am

it could be a CPU issue. Running a Core 2 Duo. (but my friend has i7) both goes up to 90% during the transitions and graphics fx. Would rendering take as long on a mac?

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:21:03 am

Raf, am I to assume you now no longer are asking why there is a difference in the two rendered times for the two different projects projects in VP12 B770, but rather is there a way to REDUCE the overall render times of ANY projects? Yes?

Grazie

Return to posts index

Raf Erosa
on Apr 4, 2014 at 1:30:50 pm

Yes that would be the question...But I am thinking that there is no real clear cut answer. Im just trying to shorten the process and decrease the size of the project. It ended up taking 8 hours, and produced a 2.76gb file. Is the files size supposed to be that large?

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:13:27 pm

A Core 2 Duo is a very old processor. I remember those days and render times took overnight. As everyone here has said, plugins will also vary render times. I also have noticed that my Macbook Pro with an i7 does not render as fast when running Bootcamp as my i5 PC machine....not sure if that issue is manufacture based.

Good luck!

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:23:18 pm

The faster i5s may well render faster than some i7s, particularly the mobile type. Rendering is so CPU-bound, the OS overhead isn't a significant factor. The algorithm, sure... one CODEC might be much faster than another, even for the same media type. Like Sony vs. Main Concept AVC.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:34:03 pm

I think I may have a 2 series i7 and a 3 series i5. Both laptops and rendering to same Mainconcept codec. i7 is faster too....only other difference is Mac vs Lenovo... odd

Scott Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Apr 6, 2014 at 12:39:45 pm

Dave you touched on a point I had never seen discussed before and would ask if you could provide little more in depth on how to find plug ins that are not programmed to access all the cores.

If you have read any of my recent posts I have been plagued by some issues with rendering and editing. Without going into all the details suffice it to say I have a brand new self built system with all new fresh loads of SVP SUITE, Boris Red, BCC running on Win7PRo.

So I was wondering if your point could be related to what I am experiencing.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Scott Simpson
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:20:35 pm

I went through a marathon series of renders about a month ago ... hour-long shows would take me, literally, days. I was rendering to 1440x1080 interlaced MXF (mpeg2) at 35MBps. I'm running a first-gen i5-750 and Vegas 12. Days. Like, three or four days for some of them. Once I surrendered to the fact that renders were going to take a long time, I focused more on having Vegas do them without crashing. Stability beat speed for me at that point.

So, 8-10 hours for a 30-minute program sounds entirely plausible.

---
Radio guy in a TV world. Bigasssuperstar.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]