FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Shot In 23 FPS Should I Still Render / Upload At 29 FPS

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marty watt
Video Shot In 23 FPS Should I Still Render / Upload At 29 FPS
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:07:36 am

Same old bad Facebook video type question. Point & Shoot camera records video in 23 Frames Per Second but all advice on better quality Internet Upload Video recommends 30 FPS - 29.97. If original video is 23 FPS, should you keep it 23 FPS? Is there an effect on quality / look if it's bumped up to 29.97?
I just got a camera that will shoot at 30 FPS but only in 720p; at 1080p, it only shoots at 23 FPS. So which would look better on Facebook ?

Thanks for any help,

Marty

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: Video Shot In 23 FPS Should I Still Render / Upload At 29 FPS
on Mar 27, 2014 at 3:07:08 pm

I don't 'Facebook' so i'm not sure how they embed their videos. If I were in your shoes i'd render out one 720p video and one 1080 video and compare the playback of each. Whichever one looks better is the one i'd use.

Dave

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:37:53 pm

Keep your original frame rate as long as it is less than or equal to 30fps. By 23fps, I assume you mean 23.98?

The online video servers normally have a limit of 30fps, so on those you should bring the frame rate down below 30fps. For example a 59.94 video would come down to 29.97. I cannot comment specifically about Facebook, but the others Youtube/Vimeo/Smugmug all do not alter frame rates less than or equal to 30fps. I would expect Facebook operates similarly.

Return to posts index

marty watt
on Mar 27, 2014 at 4:56:28 pm

Thank you. I am surprised that info on this is not readily available. Facebook recommends 30 fps (yes, I mean the actual number: 29 something) but doesn't address the effect of increasing the frame rate of video shot in 23 or if they somehow bump the video up from 23 to 30. Odd, since so many digital cameras shoot in 23 (I image - so do many smart phones) and these must be a huge percentage of what gets uploaded to Facebook.
What happens to the quality of a video - Facebook upload or not - when the framerate is increased?

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 27, 2014 at 5:35:20 pm

[marty watt] "What happens to the quality of a video - Facebook upload or not - when the framerate is increased?"

Depending on the quality of resampling, nothing to a little blurry due to blended frames.

I doubt they will bump the frame rate up so long as it is below 30.

At this link
https://www.facebook.com/help/videos

in the how do I optimize my video section, Facebook states
"Keep the frame rate of your video at, or below, 30fps"

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 27, 2014 at 11:10:50 pm

Quality has nothing to do with frame rate. It has to do with how many bits you use to represent the frame and how many times you re-compress them and loose quality by rendering. I would upload your original videos rather than risking loosing quality by re-rendering them to another frame rate which probably won't look as good anyway because you need to synthesize 6 new frames every second and they're not going to look as good as original frames anyway. Go with the originals; it's never going to be higher quality than that.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]