FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colour mask query

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Matchett
Colour mask query
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:05:26 pm

Hi all,

I have a number of graphics clips that I need to force to (or 80% towards) specific RGB breakdown for a clients splash-screens, to make them comply to their corporate colours.

I figured this would be easy but the solution is eluding me! In Photoshop for example, one would just add a slug of the appropriate colour to a layer above and change it to colour mode in the blending options. Job done. Curiously Vegas seems to have no specific colour blending mode.

I suspect that this must be easy and I'm just missing something obvious. Clearly I could achieve this in another package - probably a doddle in AE - but since I have the time to ask, I'd be grateful if anyone has any bright ideas...

John M.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Colour mask query
on Mar 26, 2014 at 11:39:08 am

[John Matchett] "I figured this would be easy but the solution is eluding me! In Photoshop for example, one would just add a slug of the appropriate colour to a layer above and change it to colour mode in the blending options. Job done. Curiously Vegas seems to have no specific colour blending mode."
I don't understand. Why don't you just prepare the graphics in Photoshop with the correct colors and then use it in Vegas? Why are you trying to correct the colors of a logo in a video editor?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

John Matchett
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:27:58 pm

Hi John,

Quite so and I agree, but I'm working on incoming graphics that elements that I'm not controlling. So I have several splash-screen/bumper media elements that needs to be conformed to specific colours.

Clearly After Effects allows us to add a colour layer and change blending mode to 'colour' - this can be 100% or just 80%. I've come across this problem before in Vegas, so I'd be glad if there was a simple solution within my day to day working NLE.

John M.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:56:06 pm

[John Matchett] "I'm working on incoming graphics that elements that I'm not controlling. So I have several splash-screen/bumper media elements that needs to be conformed to specific colours."
So, you are being given graphics that are not properly prepared for video use. Your options are: (1) Tell the graphics department to fix their graphics (2) Fix the graphics in Photoshop yourself. You could try using the Color Corrector (Secondary) in Vegas Pro to isolate colors and change them. That is probably the best you can do inside of Vegas Pro.
[John Matchett] "Clearly After Effects allows us to add a colour layer and change blending mode to 'colour' - this can be 100% or just 80%. I've come across this problem before in Vegas, so I'd be glad if there was a simple solution within my day to day working NLE."
You should not expect it to have the graphics capability of After Effects because After Effects has Photoshop components built into it because they are made by the same company. Also After Effects is not an NLE. So what's the difference if you were working in Premiere Pro and had to go to After Effects to fix the graphics or you are working in Vegas Pro and have to go to Photoshop to fix the graphics? Just fix the graphic in Photoshop and be done with it (or educate the graphics department on how to properly prepare graphics for video which could take considerably longer if achievable at all).

I think the Secondary Color Corrector may be your best option if you want to stay in Vegas Pro to fix this.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:18:32 pm

Apart with totally agreeing with John on his earlier comments, get the guys to prep it for you, I initially did try 2nd Colour Corector getting which I didn't get a lot of control. I've lost my touch with that Plug . .. ?

But here's my attempt with Channel Blend and matching a GREEN Solid GenMed to an externally COREL Draw Vector saved as a PNG and imported into VP12 - it's not too shabby?:

Before

After

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:19:13 pm

Apart with totally agreeing with John on his earlier comments, get the guys to prep it for you, I initially did try 2nd Colour Corector getting which I didn't get a lot of control. I've lost my touch with that Plug . .. ?

But here's my attempt with Channel Blend and matching a GREEN Solid GenMed to an externally COREL Draw Vector saved as a PNG and imported into VP12 - it's not too bad?:

Before

After

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]