FORUMS: list search recent posts

Comet Light

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joao Souza
Comet Light
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:09:52 am

Guys please help me with an idea.
Imagine a photo of a beauitiful green field, it's night and a fire comet flies by close to the ground,as it's on fire and it's night how could I make it illuminate the area it flies over?Is(are)there a way(s) to do that?
I have some ideas but they all will give me a lot of work so maybe you guys know an easier way to do that.
Thanks.

We have so much time and so little to do! / Willy Wonka

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Comet Light
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:52:49 am

First thoughts would be:

1/- Start with a Green field captured in daylight.

2/- Use any of the Luminance FXs and Chroma to desaturation and restrict their effect to the outside of a Mask of the shape of the descending Comet.

3/- Track and Sync the Mask across the Green field.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:31:41 am

Just a quick and dirty 5 minute attempt, but is it something like this you are explaining. Obviously needs more time to make a proper version but it is using the technique as described by Graham

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7m58lp68fj2pfe/first%20comet.wmv

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:39:37 am

Thanks guys but like I said, field pic is at night, there's no day version.
But I understand you guys point, is there a plugin that could illuminate that night pic wherever I want?
This way I could make that plugin illumination follow commet ;)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 25, 2014 at 10:45:04 am

You have a dark field, then maybe just a tiny lift in Luma and Chroma will do it. All the Mask stuff would be the same. Wanna give us a ScreenGrab//Still of the Field.

G

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:18:56 am

[Joao Souza] "is there a plugin that could illuminate that night pic wherever I want?"

Yes. And to follow use the Mask in Pan Crop.

Bye!

G

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 25, 2014 at 11:36:30 am

But.....................what plugin?

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:36:17 pm

Like this? Or maybe I don't understand.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gndm72m7wrtpbu2/night%20comet.wmv

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:43:00 pm

Yeah but how could I do that without a day version of the field?
Probably impossible because no plugin could illuminate something that doesn't exist LOL
Ok let's assume I have both night and day versions, do I have to "draw" comet shape with mask?
If yes it means its borders will be hard meaning not like light but like a wall, can I make softer edges letting "light" scapes a little like a blur effect and not ending so hard?

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:47:39 pm

Umm so you want a night scene without any Green field....? You said " Imagine a photo of a beauitiful green field, it's night and a fire comet flies by close to the ground, as it's on fire and it's night how could I make it illuminate the area it flies over" so do I think you want green grass but not to see it as it is night time and only show when the comet goes over ( as in the quick demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/gndm72m7wrtpbu2/night%20comet.wmv) Maybe you can do a PIC file to show what you need....... In the Demo the Green field is dark unless lit up by the comet...Maybe others on here can enlighten the question a bit as clearly I miss understand you..

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 25, 2014 at 6:24:30 pm

You did it right,I said "imagine a green field AT NIGHT, or a beach whatever, it's night so it's dark maybe with a full blue moon, a comet flies by and its light illuminates where it passes, illuminate doesn't mean whatever is below will become day.Your video is right ;)

Return to posts index

Dave Affholter
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:08:17 pm

Another option for lighting your scene with the movement of the comet...Add FX Sony Bump Map with the spotlight setting > Set bump height to 0 and use Location>Destination to track the movement of the comet and light the scene as it flies past. Use the clock button to "animate" the motion with keyframes as it moves past.
To create the comet, instead of drawing a comet shape, you may consider using a generated media (keyframe x movement) along with linear blur to create a particle trail behind a firey comet. I recommend trying the cloud cover generated media as a start and potentially add some starry sky (for highlight particles) as well. The key is to create the movement like you would see with particles coming off of a comet. I have made several comets over the years and have found this to be a valid option.

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:57:29 pm

Thanks Dave I'll try that.
I assume I should add that sony plugin to green field pic(or to whatever pic I use), right?
I create comets with PI ;)

Return to posts index

Dave Affholter
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:04:38 am

Yes, the bump map should apply to the background pic. I am unfamiliar with PI. what is it?

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:30:28 am

Return to posts index

Dave Affholter
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:38:33 am

Very nice. just a heads up, I created a comet as a 3D animation major in college and the science profs informed me that comets actually have 2 tails. One is a fiery particle trail following the movement of the comet and the other is an icy blue tail (vaporized by the sun's radiation) beaming away from the sun as it passes.

Return to posts index

Joao Souza
on Mar 26, 2014 at 12:54:08 am

Yep, the universe is amazing but some waste time loving gold, diamonds and ferraris ;)
I love living things and my biggest love is for nature, it's so amazing, sadly we took ourselves out of it so now the majority act/think they're not part of nature and that's why we're destroying everything.
Thank God I'm not in that path, life to me is so precious and that's why I don't kill even a cockroach and this planet is.............FREAKIN' AMAZING!

Return to posts index

Dave Affholter
on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:29:42 am

OK. well, good luck on your comet project. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]