FORUMS: list search recent posts

The right camera and footage type for Sony Vegas HD editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack McGee
The right camera and footage type for Sony Vegas HD editing
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:17:57 am

Hi,

I hope someone can give me an opinion on this. I am using an Sony HDR-HC5 camcorder (1080i - MINIDV tapes) for my filming. The footage is exported as M2T files which I edit in Sony Vegas - render back to M2T and then burn to Blu-Ray. Its been some years, I am seriously thinking now of upgrading my camera, I really love the sound of those Panasonic SuperZooms...for instance the HC-V550CT sounds absolutely amazing (50x optical and 90x smart zoom - has 10MP stills).

There are several things that I keep thinking about.

- Would this new type of camcorders which I assume creates footage as AVCHD/MP4 format really offer any better picture quality than a 1080i minidv camcorder?

- How would the editing experience be like in Sony Vegas? Right now, the minidv M2T files are very easily edited and work flow is very smooth (even when reversing footage). If i do some basic edits and chops - it renders a 1080i M2T file incredibly quickly. Would this still be the case with the avchd/mp4 type file from these new camcorders?

- Also, does anyone know why the more expensive and apparently high quality HD camcorders only have upto around 10X zooms, whilst the cheaper HD models have mega super zooms?

I use Sony Vegas version 10 (32bit) on a Win7 64bit host with 8 GB ram...the Sony Vegas app has been patched to be able to consume a max of 4Gb ram (which never really happens). Great thing with miniDV is that I get to keep the original tapes as MASTER tapes. I also store the rendered M2T files as master files on a seperate Hard drive from which in the future I can recreate any Blu-ray discs which deteriorate overtime.

Grateful for your opinions
JM

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: The right camera and footage type for Sony Vegas HD editing
on Mar 25, 2014 at 12:27:52 am

First of all, before making any move in the direction you are
looking, you are gonna have to upgrade to Vegas Pro 12 (64bit).

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:53:36 am
Last Edited By Nigel O'Neill on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:55:28 am

[Jack McGee] "Also, does anyone know why the more expensive and apparently high quality HD camcorders only have upto around 10X zooms, whilst the cheaper HD models have mega super zooms"

The bigger cameras have better lenses. I suspect that higher focal lengths require more glass, longer barrels and add weight. The smaller consumer cameras tend to be either plastic or lower in quality, and often are not sharp except in the middle of the lens (the edges tend to be a bit fuzzy).

[Jack McGee] "Would this new type of camcorders which I assume creates footage as AVCHD/MP4 format really offer any better picture quality than a 1080i minidv camcorder"

AVCHD offers higher quality footage compressed into smaller files. The downside is that it becomes more CPU intensive to play back or render.

I think Vegas 10 would do what you want.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mehak Kiwistech
on Mar 25, 2014 at 7:56:25 am

'Also, does anyone know why the more expensive and apparently high quality HD camcorders only have upto around 10X zooms, whilst the cheaper HD models have mega super zooms'

I am also looking for an answer about this.

Top Class Artists Dubai

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:27:39 pm

Nigel already explained why good lenses cost so much. A typical lens for a good ENG-style camera can cost as much or more than the camera itself ($10,000 or more). When you enter the high end broadcast world, the price goes up drastically. For example, the Canon DIGISUPER 100 which is a 100:1 zoom lens (uses would be professional sports for example), the cost is in the area of $200,000.00

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]