FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Stabilize settings quirkiness FYI

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Norman Black
Sony Stabilize settings quirkiness FYI
on Mar 24, 2014 at 10:17:26 pm

I have Mercalli 3 SAL (Merc) but for some reason I decided to test Sony Stabilize. I know underneath it is Mercalli V2, but with far less control.

The sliders are named a little strange and here are the help file descriptions.

Pan smoothing
Drag this slider to adjust the amount of shake (left/right and up/down motion) detection.

Stabilization amount
Drag this slider to adjust the amount of tilt and zoom detection.

Okay, the second one is named unfortunate, but I accept the help file description. The first one is what I want and named similarly to Merc.

Typically in Merc I turn all stabilize off except the left/right and up/down shift. Pan Shot smoothing as Merc calls it. So I set Stabilization amount to 0, and a small (0.1) pan amount and I get a very large crop. Clicking the effect on/off lets one see the crop amount. Cropping is expected in stabilization but this was big for such small settings used.

Okay that sucked but I wondered if there was a boundary condition so I set Stabilization amount to the smallest amount it allowed, 0.01. Voila, I got good stabilization and a very tiny crop as I would have expected.

So if you don't want tilt and zoom adjustments and only the major shift adjustments, then do not set Stabilization amount to 0 to turn it off, but use 0.01.

Set Pan smoothing to get your best stabilization and crop amount compromise.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Sony Stabilize settings quirkiness FYI
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:06:05 am

Excellent find, Norman! Thanks for sharing.

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Mar 25, 2014 at 4:23:24 pm

I'll still use Mercalli 3 SAL, but if I ever have a need/desire to do Stabilization as a plug-in, I now know how to get what I want out of Sony Stabilize.

Return to posts index

Thayalan Paramasawam
on Apr 1, 2014 at 6:01:12 am

Thanks Mr.Norman for the information....

http://www.jptsskyvision.com

System Details:
Motherboard - Asus M5A99X-EVO,HardDrive1 boot C:SSD Kingston,Processor - Amd FX 8350 4.0/4.2 GHZ,Ram - 16 GB,Graphic Card - Asus Gtx 650 1GB DDR 5,Blu Ray Writer - Plextor PX-B950SA,Operating System - Window 7 Pro 64 Bit and Editing Programe - Sony Vegas Pro 12

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]