FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about network video rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kathreen anachioti
question about network video rendering
on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:01:28 pm

good evening to all,

i am interested to know if i can use multiple servers or blade servers for network rendering for sony vegas pro 8 or newer

i am thinking to start a video rendering service since there is a big demand for rendering (mainly avchd to mpg2) from many pro video shooters

i have found through ebay from a closing down company a set of four ibm x3655 servers for 576 us dollars excluding delivery

all servers are fitted with quad opteron's 2222 at 3.0 ghz with 146 scsi hd drive and come with 16 gb's of ddr2 ram

the seller claim that i can do my rendering just fine but i doubt because as far i know serve does not run any windows xp

please, kindly give me some more details

many thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
Re: question about network video rendering
on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:44:25 am

The short answer is "No".

If you mean splitting the rendering of one project among multiple networked processors - then no. Network rendering only works with uncompressed formats - where every frame is an i-frame.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:48:10 pm

good afternoon dear stephen and thanks for your reply

i think that sony vegas pro 8 can do network rendering up to three pcs (with the necessary sw licenses) so that's my post

instead workstation i thought that using servers can do the rendering much faster

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:08:16 pm

Yes, Vegas 8 did offer network rendering, but it only worked with i-frame only media, which at the time was AVI. Since AVI is rarely used today, it didn't make sense to continue the feature. In my opinion.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:00:10 pm

hi again dear stephen and i really thank you very much for your kind reply

sorry, but i am still confused so i still search to find some more infos

i came through this web page and this is what i want to do with my video rendering

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/News/Feature/Network-Rendering-in-Sony-Vega...

if no live link is allowed please delete

thanks again

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
on Mar 24, 2014 at 10:50:12 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't think network rendering is really used for non-linear editing. Network rendering is really for the CGI industry.

Dave

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Mar 25, 2014 at 9:10:38 am

good mornig dear dave and many thanks for your kind reply,

your absolute right ! cgi is different than rendering video so i can do any video rendering on multiple machines like cgi rendering

thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen Mann
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:29:47 pm

When I read this: "Windows XP Home limits file sharing to the contents of a folder called the Shared Files folder" I knew that the reviewer does not know PCs, so I took everything else with a grain of salt.

Network rendering never worked well - I never heard from a user who thought it was worth the effort. The option was possibly viable when the fastest PC available was an 800MHz Pentium and all digital video was AVI. Now that 2.5GHz, 4-core PCs are more common, network rendering simply is not needed by the vast majority of users. The setup and overhead time would more than consume any advantages gained. Adobe Premiere and FCP don't do it either, as far as I can tell. Avid doesn't do it.

Hollywood studios can do it for a few reasons - they can afford it. You can buy a single license of Autodesk Flame for the low, low price of $129,000 per workstation. Hollywood level CGI rendering is always uncompressed, so the distributed rendering and reassembly can work. But the software is hugely expensive since the market for it is very small. Also, be prepared to buy a LOT of hard disk capacity. Uncompressed CMYK 8-bit, the highest resolution Hollywood works with is 37.7 MB per frame. About 1GB per second.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index

kathreen anachioti
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:22:28 pm

good afternoon dear stephen and i really thank you so much for the detailed infos

understood

thanks very much again

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Mar 26, 2014 at 6:57:08 pm

Get another computer, use networked storage or swappable drives, use the second computer as a "render machine" continue working on your first computer without having the "load" of rendering while you are cutting. If you have a busy shop this may be your cheapest solution, otherwise a powerful computer renders quite quickly.

Cheers,

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]