FORUMS: list search recent posts

Off Topic: DJ Founding Members

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyson Onaga
Off Topic: DJ Founding Members
on Mar 21, 2014 at 6:07:12 pm

For those who are DJ users, any thoughts on the Founding Members promotion? Good deal (yes or no)?

Note, DJ does NOT have the $1 price list and won't until 10/1. An Editor's Themekit has (eg) 20 items; that would be $20. Now the normal price is $50, but a 4-pack bundle is $25. Essentially, a savings of $5.

Compositor's Toolkit has ~250 clips; that would be $250 but the current DJ price is $199. They'd have to bundle clips for $1 to make it cost effective ... but again, the $1 price list isn't available.

DJ doesn't have the cost for a Ready2Go or Simplexity project(s); DJ customer service said:

The Ready2Go projects will be sold as per templates (even though they have multiple segments). Please note the prices are not yet confirmed and our management is working on it.

So ... Founding Members promotion, thumbs up, thumbs down?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Off Topic: DJ Founding Members
on Mar 22, 2014 at 2:09:28 pm

[Tyson Onaga] "So ... Founding Members promotion, thumbs up, thumbs down?"
If you are asking if it's worth $250 founders fee just too access the site before Oct? Only you can determine of you are rich enough to possibly throw your money away on nothing more than early access to something that might not be a good deal to begin with. I didn't have time to waste 16 minutes to watch the whole video. Like everything DJ does it was too long and drawn out. if you can't explain it in 5 minutes, it's probably too complicated and not worth my time. I've spent thousands of dollars on Digital Juice products over the years, but personally, I wouldn't pay into something that doesn't have all the details worked out like what the $1 menu will be. IMHO, it would be foolish to do so at this time.
[Tyson Onaga] "Compositor's Toolkit has ~250 clips; that would be $250 but the current DJ price is $199. They'd have to bundle clips for $1 to make it cost effective ... but again, the $1 price list isn't available."
That's everyone's question. Is the subscription model a good deal? It's really hard to say because the $1 price list isn't available and the decision is highly dependent on how much content you normally buy from Digital Juice. I have never paid $250 for anything at DJ. I always wait until it goes on sale for $25-$50 so personally, I would compare the sales prices which is all I buy. I've picked some of their audio and video products for $14-$25 and they have had 20 backgrounds or 20 songs so paying a fee, and then $1 an item doesn't look like a good deal to me until I see the $1 menu and compare it. Also, most of their content doesn't work with Vegas Pro (it's mostly After Effects) so it will be even less of a value for Vegas Pro editors.

The last thing I bought at DJ was Motion Designer's Toolkits for $50 each on sale (the regular price is $150). Here is what one toolkit contains:

Motion Designer's Toolkit 6:
12 DVDs
92 Gigabytes
17 Categories
716 Pre-rendered Animations
681 After Effects Projects
79 Illustrator Vector Files
74 High Resolution Textures
40 Tileable Animations
39 Compound Projects
40 Looping Animations
365 Matte Files

What does that cost on the $1 menu? Unless we have the answer to that question, you can't say if it's a good deal or not but something tells me it's not. So they have cause their own problem by announcing something that's 1/2 baked. Ask me again on Oct 1st when all the details are published and I can do some real math.

Usually when you pay an upfront fee, you need to buy a lot of stuff to recoup your initial investment. You have to take the subscription fee, divide that by how many items you buy a year, then add the $1 and that's the true price of each item. The current fee is $120/yr so if you bought 40 items that year, they each cost $4. Let's say that the Motion Designer's Toolkit was 20 items, and I bought two on the old plan which cost me $100 (at $50 each), the new plan would charge me $160 ($120+$40). Not a good deal at all! But this is speculation because the $1 menu is not published.

BTW, I haven't bought anything from DJ since April 2012, two years ago, which is when I unsubscripted from their email list where they spammed me 5 times a day with sales. It's kind of an out-of-sight, out-of-mind thing that again, they caused themselves because there was no way to ask them to only send one email a week. Their loss not mine.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Tyson Onaga
on Mar 22, 2014 at 7:38:47 pm

Thanks for the reply John. I came to the same conclusions. I have an xls of all my DJ purchases with the price paid, their sale price, and their "list" price. I'm only interested in my price paid versus DJ's definitive $1 list (which isn't available); anything else is just not a good price comparison.

Think I'll wait. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 22, 2014 at 8:38:09 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Mar 22, 2014 at 8:45:57 pm

I did some more digging and it looks worse and worse. A question was asked on their site about how the Toxic Tracks will be handled because they come in different lengths. You would think that the track will cost $1 and it comes in Full :60 :30 15: lengths right? Wrong! The answer was:
A :30, :60, Full are all different pieces. Even if you needed all 3 versions for some reason it still only cost you $3.

The problem is they come in 4 lengths with 10 tracks per volume making them $40 for the whole volume. Again the "full price" comparison of $80 at today's price is bogus because NO ONE pays full price at Digital Juice. The last music purchase I made was a 5 volume Stack Traxx bundle for $99. That's $20 per Stack Traxx volume. So the new model cost double in the end (i.e., $40 vs $20).

I also purchased Music Box Collection 1 for $99 (on sale from $199) and it contains 290 tracks. That means it will now cost $290 under the new model!!! (and you get to pay a $120 annual fee for the privilege of paying more) Wow, count me out!!!

They need to clear things up about the $1 menu because just from the speculation, it doesn't look very attractive at all.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 22, 2014 at 9:15:02 pm

[John Rofrano] "
They need to clear things up about the $1 menu because just from the speculation, it doesn't look very attractive at all."

I'm with you John. I've spent a fair chunk of change with them over the years and this new model smells like the Adobe plan :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]