FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking and Performance issues

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mantaratz
Masking and Performance issues
on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:05:06 am

About years ago I posted this same query with regards to Vegas coming to a crawl with any usage of masking.

My system is a brand new home built powerhouse and breezes through HD but this is not that. It is one track with a low res jpg image of about 180k in size that consistently makes editing impossible.
GPU on or off makes no difference and so I am hoping someone has a solution.

Now on my old system of about 4-5 years ago I chalked it up to that but here it is doing the same thing yet again. Surely there must be something I am missing. Thanks...basic specs below

win 7 Pro 64 Bit
SVP 12
32 gigs 2300 ripsaw ram
ASUS P9X79 PRO
NVIDIA Quadro K4000
IVY Bridge 4930 Dual Hex core
960 Crucial SSD OPS SYS..programs
1TB Velociraptor 10000 RPM Media drive
160 GB Velociraptor 1000 RPM drive..render drive

SVP 12
BCC
Boris Red

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Masking and Performance issues
on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:23:18 am

I have no idea. But can you deal with other JPGs? One thing that I'd try is taking TIMELINE Save of that Jpg and test that. As you know JPGs can highly compressed, you've implied this too by saying it's really a small size. It could be that this JPG is so highly compressed AND by a compression method that Vegas falls over. Do try testing out my theory. You could also try and establish just how the JPG was compressed.

Interesting.

Cheers

Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Mar 15, 2014 at 2:45:47 pm

Something I never thought of but I will certainly give it a try.
I should have been clearer to state it does not happen only with that particular image but others as well.

Since I built the maching about 5 months ago I have not done any masking and was quite miffed to have the same issue again.

Once I experiment a bit I will get back to you. Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Mar 16, 2014 at 3:29:28 pm
Last Edited By Steve Rhoden on Mar 16, 2014 at 3:30:22 pm

Not sure what could be the problem, the one thing i know will
slow Vegas to a crawl is if you are masking a ultra high resolution
image etc....A low resolution jpeg should pose no issue!
Are you masking using the Cookie Cutter filter?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia
1-876-461-9019

Return to posts index

Joe Mantaratz
on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:11:28 pm

Hey Steve,
I don't use cookie cutter to mask I do all my masking using pan/crop. I went back to the basics to be sure all my footage was the same format as the properties and also tried with various images to no avail. The images I experimented with were all low res small files JPGS with no effects at all. Also in addition to what I did notice was the moment I selected the masking box SVP ran at a crawl. Selecting SYNC CURSOR, dragging the time line or just selecting the mask anchor points all happens with a very pronounced delay.

I've experimented with only using two low res images on separate tracks and created random masks on both. Solo one track it plays, slower but it plays. Two tracks...the preview window chokes and displays ... as it skips frames.

Something else is causing an issue here I cannot discover what it could possibly be. Brand new build, fresh installs with all brand new software so where to look now?

The only common ground the this computer and my old one share is I utilize MACDRIVE to give me access to my apple external drives.
Other than that I am scratching my head.

At this point I would pay to ship to machine and have it checked from top to bottom to solve this issue. 10K for a new build with everything I needed has now become a brick in this instance.
Changing the preview settings does not help at all.

Surely someone has come across a similar issues as mine at some point.

Thanks as always

FYI It will render these section in a blink of an eye as it does for most of my work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]