FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing an intermediate for rendering further formats

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Simpson
Choosing an intermediate for rendering further formats
on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:20:18 pm

I've asked this question at another video help forum and the responses are predictably all over the map. Perhaps a more Vegas-centric crowd might help.

I've rendered broadcast masteries of the TV series I recently finished. Good. That was an ordeal. They wanted MXF 30Mbps 1080i, and got it. All clear. Job done.

Next step will be making DVDs, Blu-Rays, and streaming video renders.

I sincerely do NOT want to go through rendering the whole VEG out of Vegas another six times for each of those formats.

What I'd like to do is render the episodes one more time to a master format which I can then bring onto the timeline and render out my subsequent distribution versions.

The vast majority of the source material is 1080p-30 (29.97) from Canon DSLRs. There's some other AVC/h.264 stuff in there at 720p, a little 720p60, and some XDCAM, but most of it is 1080/30 progressive.

My inclination is to render a 1920x1080 progressive 29.97 master, then take that master back to Vegas when I want to render the DVD (interlaced), Blu-Ray (interlaced too, right?), online (progressive) and whatever versions.

John Rofrano, I'm guessing you'll recommend Sony XMF 422 50MBps. Correct? That's where I'm leaning. Do I tweak it at all, at the project or template level? Mess with the "deinterlacing method" or "adjust media to..." or anything?

Some others have suggested going with a high-bitrate MP4 instead.

Another is puzzling me by inferring I'll have trouble rendering a 30p master back to interlaced for discs.

I only want to have to do this once, since rendering these shows was such an ordeal the first time through. Rendering a finished intermediate down to a finished delivery format seems, to me, to skip a ton of headaches.

---
Radio guy in a TV world. Bigasssuperstar.com

Return to posts index

Norman Black
Re: Choosing an intermediate for rendering further formats
on Mar 14, 2014 at 6:35:14 pm

If you want a high quality intermediate type format that Vegas has out of the box you can try XAVC Intra so long as your projects are at least 1080.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 14, 2014 at 10:21:30 pm

While I agree that Sony MXF HD422 1920x1080-60i 50 Mbps would be great... I'm guessing that you won't be able to tell the difference between that and the Sony MXF 30Mbps that you've already rendered once you put it on DVD, Blu-ray, and render for the Internet. Try both and see if you can tell the difference. You might already be happy with the Sony MXF 30Mbps.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Lewis Costin
on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:59:36 am
Last Edited By Lewis Costin on Mar 15, 2014 at 4:25:07 am

MXF HD 422 50Mbps is good. I'd recomend making sure you're on your correct framerate (probably 29.97, right?), changing the field order to progressive and changing the audio to 16bit.

DVD and Blu Ray are capable of having progressive video streams. And if all your content is progressive, I would recomend keeping it that way.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Mar 15, 2014 at 10:55:31 am

[Lewis Costin] "DVD and Blu Ray are capable of having progressive video streams. And if all your content is progressive, I would recomend keeping it that way."
DVD only supports progressive at 24p and unless you shot with 24p in mind I would not deliver this low frame rate because your video might look too jerky when you pan.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]