Sony Vegas Pro 12 GPU Acceleration - GPU Compatibility

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Anderson
Sony Vegas Pro 12 GPU Acceleration - GPU Compatibility
on Jun 11, 2013 at 2:21:55 am

(6/10/2013)

Hello,

I have been using Sony Vegas Pro 12 to render my videos for quite some time on my Radeon HD5770 and gpu accelerated rendering works perfectly fine. I can usually render a video at 720p at 1/4 to 1/2 the real time of the video. It is an awesome feature. About 100 frames per second rendered.

I bought a new computer, along with a new video card; the Radeon HD7950. After installing all necessary drivers and software for my new install of windows 7, I tried to render using my new card, but it was rendering at a mere 10 fps which is much slower then my HD5770.

Well, I didn't give up.
I tried a bunch of different versions of the amd driver including the beta driver, but still the same result. At this point, I removed my HD7950 and put my HD5770 back in and then reinstalled the correct amd driver for my 5770. Walla, I was able to render at 100fps again.

My question is, does Sony Vegas Pro 12 lack support for the newer video cards on the market? such as all the HD 7xxx series? I have googled this issue and found only 2 people with my issue and no fix, only info that vegas pro does not support these newer cards.
Does anyone know of a fix for this? Or will I have to wait patiently for Sony to update Vegas Pro so that it supports my gpu?

Please Refrain From, asking me to/telling me:
-check if all my drivers are up to date, the answer is Yes, all my drivers are up to date
-turn on Gpu acceleration, I can assure u that I know perfectly well how to enable this on vegas pro
-gpu is defective or anything is defective, No, I've ran several different gpu benchmarks (ex:Heaven,MSI Kombustor) along with cpu benchmark(Prime95) and ram (memtest). Nothing is defective.

Return to posts index

Dave Osbun
Re: GPU Acceleration - GPU Compatibility
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:40:32 pm

I have the Radeon HD 7850 card and I don't get any faster rendering speeds with GPU acceleration enabled vs plain jane CPU rendering. I have performed simple render tests every time Sony releases an update for Pro 12 (3 times), and I run the same render test when AMD releases new drivers for the HD7xxx series cards (AMD released another updated driver less than 2 weeks ago). There has been no improvement in render times during each of these tests.

We just have to sit tight until Sony finally gets around to tweaking the software to take advantage of the latest cards.

Dave

Return to posts index

Jay Anderson
on Jun 11, 2013 at 12:47:07 pm

that is quite... sad...
I was expecting 100-300 fps render rates on this card.
I guess I will have to wait too.
At least games run at an amazing fps on this card compared to my old card.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hart
on Jun 11, 2013 at 3:12:43 pm

This is very sad to hear. I'm taking delivery tomorrow of a editing workstation I had built for Vegas Pro 12. It will have an AMD Radeon HD 7970 w. 3gb.

Sony's Vegas website on GPU Acceleration states:

AMD/ATI
Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU.

I believed what Sony said when stated "or higher" and ordered accordingly. Now I hear that this was not correct.

Sony has cost me a very expensive, useless GPU. I'm thinking of downgrading to a Radeon 6870 from e-bay. This was the GPU used in Sony's benchmarking tests.

Return to posts index

Jay Anderson
on Jun 11, 2013 at 11:43:57 pm

We could always bug Sony Vegas Pro's support by email or directly calling.
Maybe we can convince or annoy them enough that they will actually do their job.
Who knows...maybe our cards will be supported in Sony Vegas Pro13?!?!!?

Return to posts index

Piranha Piranha
on Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31:05 am

I'm a happy user of a HIS HD6970 and it works pretty well with rendering its for 720 main concept MP4 mostly a quarter rendertime compared with the videolenght xD

My friend also has a HD7970 soon a second but no chance to render with GPU with that expensive AMD shit -.-

I hope when SOny Vegas Pro13 in August coming that HD7000 my also HD8000 (if they come till then) be usable.

HD6870 may be not as fast as you want.

due to the problem i think HD6970 is the fastest AMD currently maybe the HD6990 works too i don't know

best regards Piranha16

watch my results on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/CHPiranha16

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:05:19 pm

You never mentioned what you were encoding to. I'll assume you were using the Main Concept AVC OpenCL encoder.

The Main Concept OpenCL encoder does not support the new graphics core next video cars. 7xxx. You can look inside the dll and see references to previous architectures but not the new one.

Who knows what the deal is with Sony and Main Concept. Do they have a snapshot from a certain date, do they have rights to new versions and such.

Also, I can understand MC tweaking thier algorithm for optimal use on individual architectures but why not have generic code that will work on anything. Vegas is this way with the rendering video stream. Vegas "proper" does work with the new AMD video cards.

Also Sony AVC does seem to use the new video card but the Sony AVC encoder does not use the GPU much. Only form motion estimation is seems.

I have had a support ticket with Sony on this subject for months. No respose of confirm or deny with regards to newer AMD cards and the MC AVC encoder.

Return to posts index

Jay Anderson
on Jun 12, 2013 at 3:30:26 pm

I mainly use MainConcept AVC/AAC, but during my frustration of trying to get Vegas Pro to work with my HD7950, I have also tested it on Sony AVC/MVC, and XDCAM EX which are the only ones that produces mp4.

For some reason XDCAM EX renders fast, almost 100 fps but gpu usuage is still near idle and cpu is still near 99%. The problem with XDCAM is that it doesn't compress the video as much as the other encoders so my video size after encoding is 2-3 times the size if i had use MainConcept AVC/AAC.

But now that you mention it, I'm going to test it on every encoder available in Sony Vegas Pro 12 to see if any of them can use my gpu.

Return to posts index

Norman Black
on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:16:32 pm

Only the Sony AVC and Main Concept AVC encoders have options to use GPU.

As for the size of your video, that is purely dependent on the bitrate you encode to. Every encoder in existence gives the same file size at the same bitrate.

AVC encoders will give you better visual quality than other encoders at lower bitrates. XDCAM is mpeg-2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]