on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:01:27 pm

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro

And now for the bad news :)
Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Vegas Pro 11 released
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:19:04 pm

[Mike Kujbida] "And now for the bad news :)
Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit"
Actually, Microsoft doesn't support XP anymore so it would be hard for anyone to claim support when the original manufacturer has dropped support. It's time for people to realize this and move on.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:30:46 pm

John, that's why I put the smiley at the end of my sentence.
I'm still using XP but bought a copy of Win 7 at the pre-release price fully intending to upgrade but still haven't gotten around to it.
Too many other things going on in my life and Pro 10 on XP is still working for me.
This will give me the push I needed to finally get around to upgrading my machine.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:50:56 pm

Does anyone know how to use this offer from Videoguys?

http://www.videoguys.com/Item/Sony+Vegas+Pro+10+Crossgrade+and+Upgrade+Spec...

I bought Vegas 10 for $300 last month when I got the email about htis, but now I'm not sure how to take them up on their offer to get Vegas 11 for free. I'm installing 11 now but don't know how to get the full version for free since I don't have the proper serial number. I registered the trial version online but am not sure what else to do.

Vegas 11 is saying that my serial number has to begin with "1T4", which my Vegas 10 serial number (that I'm using) doesn't. I called videoguys.com and the guy on the phone kind of said it's early to tell what the issue is, but that no one else has called in with that problem and that I should contact Sony.

Return to posts index

Peter Goswick
on Oct 18, 2011 at 6:03:09 pm

You say it is time to move on, yet Vegas seems to support Vista...not going to get rid of XP for crappy Vista. XP may not be supported by Microsoft but there are many, many people and businesses that still use XP because is may be one of the best operating systems that MS ever released.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 21, 2011 at 3:08:12 am

[Peter Goswick] "You say it is time to move on, yet Vegas seems to support Vista...not going to get rid of XP for crappy Vista."
Nobody is recommending Vista. You should be using Windows 7 64-bit.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Oct 17, 2011 at 1:43:05 pm

Exciting...but where is the price tag for updating?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:14:24 pm

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/upgrade/vegaspro?disp=1

$189.95 download
$199.95 packaged

No one has received the "official" email yet that I know of so there may be a better price coming.

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:31:29 pm

So Mike, the download you linked is basically a free trial?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:33:31 pm

Mike, there's also this page which is not the trial version.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/vegaspro

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:40:35 pm

Sorry Mike, i didn't see the /trials/in the address line. The other link does not include a price tag either. I would suspect the download is the same thing.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:43:55 pm

[Mike Hinkel] "The other link does not include a price tag either. I would suspect the download is the same thing."

That would be correct.
I gave a link to pricing a few posts earlier in this thread.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:47:51 pm

A user on another forum just posted this.

Today I received an e-mail with this upgrade-offer:

“The new Vegas Pro 11 collection is the fastest, most elegant Vegas Pro yet. With a host of new features, a new 3D Titler from NewBlueFX, and this special offer — it's completely irresistible!”

"Upgrade from Vegas Pro to Vegas Pro 11 for only $149.95
A savings of $50 off our regular upgrade price + NewBlue Titler Pro, a $299 value!"

Download is $139.95

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Oct 17, 2011 at 2:55:02 pm

Would you know if that Is a Sony offer or someone else?

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:09:37 pm

I'm hoping this is from Sony as I am on the mailing list (as I'm sure most of you are) to be notified of the release of ver. 11.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB DDR 5
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
Corsair HX750 power supply
Two Seagate Barracuda 500g SATA III drives
16 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Canopus ACEDVio card
Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition case
Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler
Win 7 Pro
VEGAS 8.0
Sony VX2100
Alesis HD24

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:15:57 pm

It was definitely a Sony offer.
When the rest of us will be getting the "official" email is another matter :)

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:19:25 pm

This is strange Mike. I just read the same forum post that you are referring to and the OP posted the link to the Sony upgrade page. He says that it shows the 139.00 price for him...but everyone else says it shows the 189.00 price.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
Canopus ACEDVio card
Win 7 Pro
VEGAS 8.0
Sony VX2100
Alesis HD24

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:22:07 pm

Ted, I got the same high price when I clicked the link so I guess we'll just have to wait for the email or for Sony to get their page updated to reflect the release and promo price.

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:35:12 pm

I can't imagine that this link is an exact copy of the link in the guy's email (unless Sony has changed the page since the guy got the email). I've never heard of a link to point to one page for someone and pointing to another page for others.

I would really like to receive this offer too! The bonus titler makes it that much better.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
Canopus ACEDVio card
Win 7 Pro
VEGAS 8.0
Sony VX2100
Alesis HD24

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:45:33 pm

For those of you who just can't wait, try this link for promo pricing :)
The XXXXXXXXXX replaces your Vegas serial number.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/upgrade/vegaspro?userial=XXXXXXXXXX&key...

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 3:52:35 pm

Mike...did you see the later link in that thread? It does bring up the 139.00 offer page...!!!

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
Canopus ACEDVio card
Win 7 Pro
VEGAS 8.0
Sony VX2100
Alesis HD24

Return to posts index

Mike Hinkel
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:12:19 pm

funny how these things get sorted out. Thanks again, Mike.

Return to posts index

Ted Snow
on Oct 17, 2011 at 4:14:36 pm

I'm just curious if the promotional keycode that is automatically entered is specific to each email or if it's a standard keycode for all email promotional offers....hmmmm.

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
Canopus ACEDVio card
Win 7 Pro
VEGAS 8.0
Sony VX2100
Alesis HD24

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:24:30 pm

Yes! I got the free upgrade. I just called Sony and explained the situation, emailed them a proof of purchase, and they gave me the serial numbers.

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:57:24 pm

Ugh, I've already ran into problem. The aspect ratio isn't right for any of my video, and changing the project properties doesn't affect it at all. I can alter the aspect ratio to other incorrect settings, but I can't get it in it's proper, 16:9 format of 1440x1080 resolution and a pixel aspect ratio of 1.33.

Edit: I figured it out, I guess. I have to right click on my media and change the pixel aspect ratio to 1.33. It's set to 1 for all my media. Why am I having to do this for every project, though?

Return to posts index

Steve Hopper
on Oct 17, 2011 at 8:58:17 pm

In the past Sony included an extra incentive for upgrading. Looks like this time there really isn't one - just the built-in new titler - which isn't an extra incentive.

Steve

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Oct 17, 2011 at 11:55:08 pm

Bought the upgrade for $139.

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 18, 2011 at 7:04:42 am

Ditto. And that's just the start... now I have to figure which graphics card upgrade I buy. And my smartphone (O.G. Droid) started losing its mind yesterday... that needs to be upgraded. In the grand scheme of things, the Vegas $135 Vegas deal is a great one.

-Dave

Return to posts index

Greg Barringer
on Oct 18, 2011 at 12:51:31 pm

I looking at buying the ATI Radeon HD 5870. Any comments?

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 18, 2011 at 2:36:35 pm

The Radeon 5870 is a pretty good graphics card. Supposedly it's more powerful than the 6000 series, which came after it. And, by the way, I was using a Radeon 6870, but Vegas didn't utilize it for GPU acceleration and I couldn't even select it manually by going into Options, Preferences, and Video. So I had a choice last night between the Radeon 5870 and GeForce GTS 470 and went with the GeForce (even though the 6870 is specifically listed on the GPU acceleration page as compatible with Vegas 11!).

Vegas 11 utilizes the GeForce now, but I'm not noticing any difference in performance. At the risk of repeating myself from other parts of the board, but I just want people to be warned-multicamera playback is dreadful on Vegas 11, which I didn't have a problem with on 9 or 10. And GPU acceleration doesn't seem to help at all.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 18, 2011 at 3:31:54 pm

Buy a spare hard drive, or use a second computer before jumping entirely. Dot zero releaseversions usually have bugs. I'llbeinstalling on my Dell laptop first.

Alf

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 18, 2011 at 4:04:01 pm

You're right, and normally I wouldn't be such an early adopter except for the offer for a free upgrade. At least now that I have that, I can always switch back to 11 when more of the bugs are worked out. But I don't know how anyone can deal with this. I guess Sony's counting on people not doing a lot of multicamera editing?

Oh, and that aspect ratio thing is ridiculous. I have to change every single video clip's aspect ratio to 1.33, because all my footage is set to 1440x1080 with an aspect ratio of 1 for some reason. I don't know what Vegas 9 and 10 did with the same footage, from the same camera I've been shooting on, but I never had this issue.

Return to posts index

Rob Wijnhoven
on Oct 18, 2011 at 8:32:02 pm

Hey guys,

I did a quick performance test on Sony Vegas Pro 11, to see the effect of the GPU acceleration on a Nvidia GTS 450.

Check the page at: http://robwijnhoven.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120%3As...

Cheers, Rob

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 19, 2011 at 4:43:03 pm

You may have found a bug in multicam... I sincerely doubt Sony did this on purpose or anything. I was always mixed about Sony's multicam implementation anyway, though it has improved over the years.

It should go without saying, but you absolutely must get the latest graphics driver for your card before judging its performance on Vegas 11 or any other GPGPU stuff. These things have been evolving rapidly over the years. For example, if you have an ATi/AMD card more than a year or two old, you might have the deprecated "Close to the Metal" Streams API, and an incomplete OpenCL implementation.

As for XP vs. Vista/Windows 7, the choice is usually based on the available APIs. Microsoft builds OS functions, C++ frameworks, etc. that developers use. And these are continuously improved. And sometimes, they're not back-ported to the older OS. Windows XP was released over 10 years ago, the last major update was in 2008... one would hope that technology advanced just a bit since then.

I dropped XP in 2009 for Windows 7, largely to get 64-bit support. Sure, XP existed in a 64-bit version, but that was largely unsupported. Microsoft drives those things: their certification program tells developers what they have to support and what's optional. 64-bit was optional for Windows XP, mandatory for Vista. I like 64-bit for video. I absolutely need it for photo editing -- just try a 30-40 photo panoramic merge of 18Mpixel RAW photos without at least 8GB of RAM (I have 16GB). Things explode.

And of course, while it's in Microsoft's interest to keep customers happy, it's also in their interest to both spend their money when it'll make them the most money. That often means supporting new things only on new OSs. Similarly, developers like Sony move to these new things, either for better device support, easier and more reliable coding work, or even totally new functions.

For example, part of my current day job is with Connectify. Their main product is a computer program that turns a Windows PC into a hotspot. It is absolutely necessary to have Windows 7 to get a real Access Point. You can get Ad-Hoc mode with Windows Vista or XP, but we can't even support anything before XP SP3, due to other improvements in the OS (not sure of the details there).

-Dave

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Oct 23, 2011 at 7:10:33 pm

You ought to KNOW the HD6870 works in Vegas 11... Sony's own published benchmarks use this card. If you're not seeing it, you probably don't have OpenGL installed.

Sadly, that might be common. Over ten years ago I had an ATi graphics card, a decent one. I didn't care about GPUs or anything, but ATi was one of the companies actually producing clear analog video. But their installer was a mess... it failed, repeatedly, to properly install the drivers.

Jump forward to the HD6970 I bought last week... same problem. I found it's reporting errors on really stupid things, too... in my case, a version of a Microsoft support module didn't install... because I have a more recent version. But the installer reports an error, and doesn't tell you what failed.

And, with everything installed, the main ATi configuration program won't load. In fact, it tends to crash my whole system.

I naturally grabbed all the latest stuff online. Still failed. So grabbed the individual pieces, including the OpenGL drivers, which are separate. It works.

My concern right now is that, yeah, the GPU stuff is real; sometimes moderate, but they're real. Worth it, and Sony's doing right by supporting OpenCL. But there are still companies doing plug-ins supporting only CUDA. So I'm concerned that CUDA might be more important than I was thinking. All current CUDA implementations also support OpenGL and the Microsoft thing no one uses, DirectCompute, but only nVidia supports CUDA. I'm getting in a nVidia card to evaluate, to see if it compares to the AMD/ATi or not on Vegas performance.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]