FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deinterlacer plugin for Vegas 10 (Yadif)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Yohng
Deinterlacer plugin for Vegas 10 (Yadif)
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:11:12 pm

Hello,

I have made a port of Yadif deinterlacer as a Vegas OFX Plugin (temporal frame comparison and edge-directed interpolation as an alternative to Vegas built-in field interpolation).

It's available here:
http://www.yohng.com/pvt/yadifvegas10.zip

Instruction for installing:

Please copy included
Yadif Deinterlace.ofx.bundle
to
C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 10.0\OFX Video Plug-Ins

If you have a different Sony Vegas installation path, then copy it
accordingly to the inner OFX Video Plug-Ins folder.

Instruction for using:

1. For the target clip, in the properties set 'Progressive', even
though it is interlaced, so that Vegas does not deinterlace it.

Alternatively set Deinterlace method in the project properties to 'None'.

2. Insert Yadif Deinterlace as Media FX (note, NOT video FX or track FX, but Media FX)
on the clip.

3. Setup Yadif Deinterlace parameters to select field order and rendering parity
(parity defines which field will be left unchanged and which interpolated).

Default options are OK in most of cases.

Original Yadif pages:
http://avisynth.org.ru/yadif/yadif.html
http://mplayerhq.hu

Thanks,
George.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: Deinterlacer plugin for Vegas 10 (Yadif)
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:28:47 am

Thanks. Is this any different than setting your deinterlace method to interpolate? They look exactly the same to me.

Return to posts index

Matt Crowley
on Feb 8, 2011 at 12:45:25 pm

Not sure about this plugin's implementation (I have Movie Studio so can't try it) but the original Yadif (which I use in Media Player Classic) can deinterlace 60i to 60p for example (instead of the standard 60i to 30p), and uses some clever edge/motion detection to actually produce a full-resolution frame from each field, or properly blend together the two fields of a frame even if there is motion that would normally result in combing/ghosting.

I'm not sure (and the help doesn't really explain), but I guess Vegas's "blend" mode simply slots two fields together into an output frame (potential for combing where there's motion), and the "interpolate" mode simply discards one field, and fills in the gaps in the remaining field by copying the lines (with loss of vertical resolution). There could well be more to it though, and I hope there is.

Return to posts index

George Yohng
on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:32:13 pm

To reply to both posts -

About Yadif: it works similarly to Vegas internal 'Interpolate Fields', but will generally provide much sharper results, which appear more 'High Definition' due to edge-directed interpolation and motion masking.

Vegas does not allow me to double the framerate. I neglected to mention it in the post, but I mentioned that in readme.txt.

So from the original Yadif, only modes 0 and 2 are available.

I need Vegas to query each frame twice with an indication which field is being processed, but found no way to obtain a fractional frame position or a field number.

Regarding settings - it's reasonable to keep everything by default. I converted original Yadif parameters for subtle tuning, which in most cases is not necessary.

First setting 'Temporal and Temporal&Spatial' can make a difference on some clips, where e.g. several interlaced frames repeat, or when there is mostly a static picture.

Here is a detailed explanation of yadif:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/yadif

The last setting (parity) will take either the upper field or the lower field and interpolate the missing one. In a few camcorders one field has a better quality than the other - then changing this parameter would be preferable.

The middle setting (field order) - I hope to implement framerate doubling some day, so that it can make an importance. But right now one should keep it at its default value.

Thanks,
George.

Return to posts index

James Farnum
on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:40:19 am

Tried this out in Vegas 10 and it works very well. Great tool!

This might be a stupid question, but is there any way to apply the plugin to the finished, edited clip on the timeline so that the whole film (not just individual files) is processed prior to rendering?
(Selecting all files in the project media bin, right-clicking, selecting media fx... / yadif only seems to process one file, not all of them.

Thanks for helping out a newbie.

Return to posts index

George Yohng
on Apr 18, 2011 at 12:50:29 am

Please redownload yadif archive from my site. I have added the script to automate this procedure.

Check readme or the website page on how to use it.

Return to posts index

James Farnum
on Apr 19, 2011 at 11:48:09 am

Thank you very much, George. The script works very well.

One problem I'm having:

Sony Vegas Pro 10.0 shuts down after rendering only a few minutes with a low memory warning -- even on short 3 minute clips. Even after restarting my PC and with no other processes running. I have an Intel i7 quad core 920 @ 2.67 GHz with 3 GB RAM (XP Professional). I don't have this problem even when running processor-intensive plugins like Magic Bullet Looks, etc.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this? (I use your default setting via your script.)

Thanks for any insights.

Return to posts index

George Yohng
on Apr 19, 2011 at 4:55:55 pm

Just one question - are those Magic Bullet plugins OFX or old Vegas style plugins?

I ran rendering with Vegas 64-bit with 30 clips, all with yadif, project length approx 10 minutes in length.

Memory use of Vegas process was steady in the range 450-550MB, and it wasn't increasing steadily.

I wonder if you may submit this query to Vegas support. Yadif plugin has a source code included, so that they can see that there is nothing extraordinary happening there in order to cause memory leaking.

Return to posts index

James Farnum
on Apr 22, 2011 at 7:57:12 am

Thanks for your reply, George.

I did some more tests and discovered it was not YADIF causing the problem, but the COMBINATION of YADIF, Magic Bullet Looks and Sony Unsharp Mask. That used more than 800 MB of memory, causing total free RAM to dip below 1300 MB. Using YADIF alone, memeory use was a bit more than 600 MB.

Using all three, render time for a two minute clip would have been over three hours! But, of course, rendering broke off after a few minutes.

Do you know of any way to render with YADIF, then re-render with other plugins while still retaining the YADIF effect in the file? I'd rather render twice and get a complete file than render once with three plugins and get constant breakdowns.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]