FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to export to FCP from Vegas Pro 13 - .veg file corrupted? ('media offline' timeline photo inside)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
H.T Baldwin
Trying to export to FCP from Vegas Pro 13 - .veg file corrupted? ('media offline' timeline photo inside)
on Jul 7, 2018 at 12:43:12 am
Last Edited By H.T Baldwin on Jul 7, 2018 at 9:46:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Been a couple of years since I posted and I got a stumper for you. Don't edit much anymore.... my machine's old, but occasionally I do with lower-res stuff. I've been using Sony Vegas Pro 8 forever, even now, because seemingly every time I try out a new trial version of Vegas some of my bigger documentary edits from back in the day become corrupted, media offline, unexpectedly shuts down, etc.... and I resort back to 8.

SO, I'm trying to help the editor for a company I work for, he's editing a promo for us on Final Cut. I took his cut and a bunch of the .MOV files he had and converted to AVI and dumped into Vegas Pro 8. I finished the (low-res rough) edit we are going to go with for story (just to help us along) and hoped I could export a file for his Final Cut that he could finish the edit off of with all the good looking hi-res files. Forgot Vegas Pro 8 can't do that export!! But whoops, before even jumping platforms, I'm having trouble with Vegas Pro 8 to Vegas Pro 13 so I can do an export. I took all the files from the edit and the .veg file and took it to a friends Vegas Pro 13 so I could export a Final Cut Pro 7 or X file, but something is corrupting with my .veg project - half the video & audio tracks show - 'media offline'. Something is not reading right.

I've tried the trick with renaming the Files and replacing them. No luck. I've tried 'Close media files when not the active application'. No luck. Also, every time i shut down the .veg file and try to re-open I have to spend ten minutes individually re-adding files that don't end up actually being seen. (I've switched directories before and this has never been a problem with any edits). Anyone have a solution? If I can get Vegas Pro 13 to read my Vegas Pro 8 edit in full, then I can export the edit to the Final Cut Pro guy and save us a tedious day of rebuilding the edit with side by side Mac/PC setups (like I had to do in the old days.... ☹

Here is a picture of my edit with all the white 'media offline' sections of the edit:

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Trying to export to FCP from Vegas Pro 13 - .veg file corrupted? ('media offline' timeline photo inside)
on Jul 8, 2018 at 7:22:02 pm

Yup that is a head scratcher for sure. It's been a long time since I looked at Veg 8 but as I recall Version 8 is still a 32 bit application. Is that correct? If so check the video files and see if they are over the 32 bit file size limit.

I do not recall the 32 bit file size limitations but 2 GB seems to come to mind. I could easily be mistaken and checking this may be a good idea.
The question is does your version of Vegas support the video file size in use? It may be that vegas is not at fault.
What happens when you pack up all the files and bring them to the machine with Vegas 13 installed?
Yes chances are you will need to reassociate the files in Vegas 13 but it will be a one time affair.

Also from my experience with exporting from Vegas to Final cut, having more than one layer on the vegas timeline tends to be problematic.
The exported Final cut script comes into final cut upside down and in some cases will not load at all.
So I generally made certain there was but one video and audio track in a Vegas project before exporting a script to final Cut.
Strangely if I went through Premier the Vegas export did make it into Premier in tact. From premier I would then export to Final Cut.
But first, check if your machine and the version of Vegas supports the file size.
That is where I would start to look for problems. It's just a thought and I have been known to be mistaken.
RF

Return to posts index

H.T Baldwin
Re: Trying to export to FCP from Vegas Pro 13 - .veg file corrupted? ('media offline' timeline photo inside)
on Jul 9, 2018 at 12:10:35 am

[Russ Froze] "Yup that is a head scratcher for sure. It's been a long time since I looked at Veg 8 but as I recall Version 8 is still a 32 bit application. Is that correct? If so check the video files and see if they are over the 32 bit file size limit. "

Russ, thanks so much for the response! So, a couple of answers to this first part - my system is XP and it's 32bit. The videos seem to be all 24bit (xvid .avi). My version of Vegas (Pro 8) definitely supports the files. I've cut much larger and more information HD files on this machine no problem.

[Russ Froze] "What happens when you pack up all the files and bring them to the machine with Vegas 13 installed? "

It looks like the version of Vegas 13 is 64bit on a much newer version of windows. When I brought all the files/folders over and tried to open in Vegas 13 it says files are missing and then I choose new locations. Eventually the edit does load, but half the files say media offline (see attached picture) - so useless to me presently

[Russ Froze] "es chances are you will need to reassociate the files in Vegas 13 but it will be a one time affair. "

Unlike how it typically goes, once .veg loads, if I save and shutdown, I have to spend 10 minutes manually choosing each file even if in same folders! Never experienced this before

I just put another trial of Sony Vegas Pro 13 on a Windows 10 laptop. Spent 10 minutes attaching each missing file individually to files in E: (where all the files were) - there was no option to quickly attach all to E:

When it finally loads it pops up: "Warning: An error occurred while trying to open a project file from a previous version. The item was not found." The details read: "An error occurred opening the media file. The media file could not be located"

Where do I go from here - any way to make my edit readable on a version of Vegas that can export a file for Final Cut???

Return to posts index

H.T Baldwin
on Jul 9, 2018 at 1:23:37 am

One more note -

I tried to replace files that were offline in the timeline with new location (from original computer C: to new computer E:) and an error pops up about a codec...

So I installed XVid and at moment I can see most of the timeline! The only media that is offline are .m4a files and a .wav or two

Return to posts index

H.T Baldwin
on Jul 9, 2018 at 2:25:33 am

BREAKTHROUGH -

The codec situation worked by installing XVID with video files and then the remaining .m4a files that wouldn't read, I just re-rendered individually as .wav files in my Vegas 8 and then reinserted in Vegas 13 timeline. And then I was able to export XML file.

Whooooh-hooooh!

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jul 9, 2018 at 7:29:34 am

So it turns out to be a codec issue. My bad not asking which codec was stuck in the avi wrapper. There I was assuming there were gigabytes of avi files when in reality tiny XVid files are in use. Had I known XVid was in use then I would have informed that vegas does not support XVid natively. FYI XVid is a delivery codec and not meant for editing that is why Sony chose not to support it natively. Anyway glad to hear things got done which is the main reason we even start projects. Just a suggestion. For best results replace the XVid files with the original mov files when imported to FCP if possible. This will give access to better final render. Just a thought.
RF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]