FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 15 - BorisFX - affect only parts of clip that are affected by previous/other fx

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Kasprowicz
Vegas Pro 15 - BorisFX - affect only parts of clip that are affected by previous/other fx
on Jul 2, 2018 at 11:54:45 pm
Last Edited By Filip Kasprowicz on Jul 3, 2018 at 1:56:58 am

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone as this is my first post here (even though I've been reading and checking this site for a while).

I'm by no means amateur when it comes to video editing and since a long time I've been using Sony Vegas starting with version 11 that I later upgraded to 13 and now 15 but I've been using only for basic editing so it might be my lack of knowledge of Vegas/BorisFx or lack of such feature.

Anyway the problem is I swear I saw it on BorisFX website (I'm currently using trial just to check out most of the plugins and decided which to buy) where they would apply let's say blur (in my project I'm using BCC Fast Lens Blur) only to an area of image that is affected by other effect. In other words I have a clip where I apply S_GlowEdges to a doorway to create sort of sci-fi neon/laser portal but the scene has natural blur due to autofocus of camera and I want to blur only what the effect is producing when it is out of focus. Of course I could either just duplicate that track, delete everything from original, on copy make only the effect appear then key out the black background and apply blur or use the existing tracked (using mocha) masks to have the blur only affect the glow effect, but again, I swear i saw something like this on their website in some kind of demo but I cannot find it now. Maybe there are other techniques I could use to do it?

As I said, my previous editing was limited to using basic FX, color correction, cropping, panning and few other but I've never really tinkered with more advanced compositing and in fact this was my first time using tracking software and masking because Vegas didn't really have such functionality built in and I've never really had chance to use Premiere/AE because I find their interface really complicated and difficult to learn (even though it is probably the most flexible and can do pretty much anything).

Second of all since the trial won't last forever (and I want to check most of the usefull plugins to decide which to buy so I need to quickly learn new thing in Vegas amd how to use those plugins) and now I'm kinda short in terms of money are there any advanced tutorials on Vegas, in particular compositing, masking, tracking that cover a lot of different techniques that can be done in Premiere/AE (including compositing and manipulating 3D models, 3D cameras) that are available for free or am I just better of saving money, abandoning Vegas and switching to Adobe? I would really like to start making more advanced videos.

Also here is a tutorial that I'm trying to recreate for practise and I'm stuck at 8:00 where he "pastes" the motion data on "something" and I would need an explanation as to how can this be done in Vegas (without and other weird tricks to overcome limitations of software, again, if it is impossible in Vegas I'd like to know so I would an idea what I can expect from Vegas in that regard and be able to decide if I should keep using it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftGB6mzKb4

Again, sorry if my questions sound dumb or are to broad to cover in one post :)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vegas Pro 15 - BorisFX - affect only parts of clip that are affected by previous/other fx
on Jul 3, 2018 at 5:20:34 am

[Filip Kasprowicz] "Again, sorry if my questions sound dumb or are to broad to cover in one post :)"
Hey, Filip, welcome. No, not dumb, but could you summarise just what you’re wanting? I’d enjoy helping you, give me a chance to do that.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Filip Kasprowicz
Re: Vegas Pro 15 - BorisFX - affect only parts of clip that are affected by previous/other fx
on Jul 3, 2018 at 7:11:00 am

Come on, it's not that hard to understand :P

I mean applying BCC Fast Lens Blur FX to only the effect already produced by "S_EdgeGlow" FX and not the whole scene without using the tracked masks created in mocha within "S_EdgeGlow" plugin. It is a BorisFX specific question as I think I saw that option (or similar one) in one of their videos but it might have been done in other editing software (probably AE) and I wonder if it is even possible to do in Vegas as it doesn't have such compositing capabilities as AE. I want to know what technique I could use in this case to make the blur look natural to blend the effect with auto focus of camera that kicks in at one moment in clip.

Second question is related purely to Mocha Pro and it's implementation in Vegas, so how to translate what that guy does in this tutorial at 8:00 into Vegas (applying the tracking data to a composite layer so the clouds move with the tracked background:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ftGB6mzKb4

And third, is Vegas really suitable for such workload? I know that I could do here most what can be done in Premiere but I'd also like to do some work that can be also done in AE and wonder if it's even possible or should I just switch to Adobe or other editing software that would combine capabilities of both Vegas/Premiere and AE in more "simple" form as it is with Vegas (it's much easier for me to use, the interface is more intuitive but I know it has it's limitations).

My PC:
CPU: i7-4790K 4,6Ghz, RAM: 16GB 1866Mhz, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB + AOC2577 27", Audio: M-Audio BX5 + Steinberg UR824, MAGIX Vegas Pro 15.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/filipkasprowicz/

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jul 3, 2018 at 8:23:52 am

[Filip Kasprowicz] "Come on, it's not that hard to understand :P"
I’m mentally digging-deep. Also what’s not helping is your link. I’m getting this:

Something has gone awry.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Filip Kasprowicz
on Jul 3, 2018 at 9:33:01 am

Looks like linking feature is somehow screwing the link:

And here is my "visual" representaion of the problem (not really a problem but I want to know the best way to do it):
https://imgur.com/a/DS5Ibzk

My PC:
CPU: i7-4790K 4,6Ghz, RAM: 16GB 1866Mhz, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB + AOC2577 27", Audio: M-Audio BX5 + Steinberg UR824, MAGIX Vegas Pro 15.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/filipkasprowicz/

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jul 3, 2018 at 6:45:42 pm

Hi, if short on cash I suggest BMD Davinci Resolve 15. I do not want to sell the product here in Vegas forum bot lets just say since I started using the software I have not needed to spend any money on NLE and or plugins. You name it and their system will do it. Still for fast cutting and getting the project out the door Vegas is very good and lightweight enough to easily run on a portable. What you seek to do can be done in Vegas but the question is if Vegas is the best tool for the job. I struggled for years trying to make Vegas do what others do and have had some success but not without 3ed party plugins and the costs for those really add up fast. To save yourself time and money look around and notice there are quite a few choices when it comes to creating a pipeline. A pipeline is simply the workflow that one follows in order to get the job done. So naturally you will want footage and how it is brought into the NLE is a part of the pipeline. So is where and how the raw footage is stored or not when the project is finished. The choice of the NLE (Vegas) is also a part of the pipeline. Do not be afraid to insert a toolset that will compliment the pipeline. I understand that learning different software is a daunting task, so get some new software and look at it study it find out what others are saying and how they use it. In short broaden your horizons. You will get more accomplished and feel good about yourself, more secure in the knowledge that you can sit and edit on more that one system. My advice is to look around and find there is more than Vegas and Adobe and BMD has a really great tool for free in Davinci Resolve which now has a built in in version of the world renowned compositor called Fusion and of course there are the color grading tools which have always been world class. Also the audio section is no slouch either. Anyway those are my thoughts and yes I still use Vegas it does have a spot in the pipeline but it is not the pipeline. That is the point, Vegas is but one small part of the tools I use.
RF

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]