FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glitchy Streaks In Video After Rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Visceral
Glitchy Streaks In Video After Rendering
on Jun 18, 2018 at 3:13:23 pm

Here's what I mean:

Notice how the single tone green background has an awful lot of horizontal line artifacts showing up in it. These are not present at all in the recording before rendering.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Radeon(TM) RX 460 Graphics

I'm using Sony Vegas 13.0 (build 310) 64-bit
Recorded with OBS Studio 21.1.2 64-bit in 60fps as an mp4
Recorded from Nestopia (NES Emulator)

Here's my Vegas render settings:

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Glitchy Streaks In Video After Rendering
on Jun 19, 2018 at 10:22:38 am

Hi Todd

I see that you have build 310. You may want to go with the latest build of Vegas Pro 13, 545.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/ca/downloads/

Next step would be to select Render Using CPU in Encode Mode.

Let us know how it goes so that it will help the next inquiring mind.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jun 19, 2018 at 2:45:07 pm

Okay, you have some hard compressed 1920x1080 60fps mp4 - and you will render to 1920x1080 60fps mp4 with only 6Mbps? How does it look if you try with 24Mbps?

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 21, 2018 at 5:43:20 pm

"I see that you have build 310. You may want to go with the latest build of Vegas Pro 13, 545."
I don't think I can do that without making my software stop working. Is there specific reason related to the error I'm experiencing that makes you suggest this or is it just because it's generally good practice to be as up to date as possible?

"Next step would be to select Render Using CPU in Encode Mode."
I tried that but it didn't fix the issue. Can you explain why you suggested it? Shouldn't I be utilizing my GPU to help if it's an option to? Is there some known benefit to using CPU only even if you have a GPU available to help?

"Okay, you have some hard compressed 1920x1080 60fps mp4 - and you will render to 1920x1080 60fps mp4 with only 6Mbps? How does it look if you try with 24Mbps?"
Boy this is really confusing...I was expecting to be criticized for even having it as high as 6Mbps. Most of the recommendations I've looked up have said anything above 4Mbps is overkill but since my goal is to have as flawless a recording as possible I decided to go against the recommendations and do 6. The recording itself was recorded at 6Mbps so shouldn't that mean that rendering at anything above that would have no effect?

Despite my confusion I tried 24max/24average and it greatly reduced the horizontal artifacts but it didn't completely eliminate them. I guess I'll experiment with even higher to see how much I need to eliminate them entirely but this really confuses me...If it takes more than 24Mbps to just get a crazy low resolution NES game to look proper what does that mean for higher resolution recordings? Like, SNES for example is twice the resolution of NES so does that mean I'd need twice the Mbps? And then modern games that are actually in 1080p and have SO MUCH MORE movement going on would need like...I can't even imagine how many Mbps?

That doesn't make sense to me when all the recommendations I've seen up to this point were lower than 6. Maybe those people just didn't care about quality.

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 21, 2018 at 6:03:17 pm

On 40Mbps max / 40Mbps average I can still pick out some small visual artifacts but the issue is mostly gone. Should I go even higher?...I don't understand why I need to make my render 6 times the size it was just to make a solid single color background actually be that single color. Is this just how video rendering works or is there something I'm not understanding?

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jun 21, 2018 at 6:19:53 pm

Recommended video bitrates for uploads to Youtube:

12Mbps for 1080p 60fps!

Try recording with 24Mbps in OBS Studio and then Render with 12Mbps in Sony Vegas!

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 21, 2018 at 6:42:14 pm

"Recommended video bitrates for uploads to Youtube:

12Mbps for 1080p 60fps!

Try recording with 24Mbps in OBS Studio and then Render with 12Mbps in Sony Vegas!"

But it's not truly a 1080p 60fps recording...The gameplay's native FPS is 60 but the native resolution is only 256 x 240. I recorded it at 768x672 (x3 view size set in the emulator for my comfort) and then scaled up further in vegas to fill the height of the 1080p canvas I put it into. The side bars are actually 1080p but the video itself (where the problem is occurring) is a very low resolution that's just been scaled up a lot. Shouldn't this make a difference? Shouldn't I need far fewer Mbps than if I say, recorded GTA V in true 1080p@60fps?

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 21, 2018 at 6:44:01 pm

"Try recording with 24Mbps in OBS Studio and then Render with 12Mbps in Sony Vegas!"
Wait, why? Why intentionally record at twice the Mbps I'm going to render it at? Wouldn't that just a be a waste because I'd be throwing away half the data when I render?

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 21, 2018 at 7:59:58 pm

Also, you know that the recording itself has no streaks at all, right? I included that information in my opening post. It's only after rendering that the streaks appear. So going back and re-recording it at a higher Mbps doesn't seem (to me) to make any sense since the problem only exists AFTER rendering and is therefore very likely to be a problem WITH the rendering, unless someone can explain specifically why that might not be the case.

Sorry for the triple post, I don't know if that's frowned on in this forum like it is in most but I can't for the life of me find any button to edit my previous posts so this is all I can do.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jun 21, 2018 at 11:25:01 pm

Hi Todd

-Sometimes, rendering with GPU will create problems. There are so many GPUs out there with all kinds of configurations and numerous settings. Rendering with CPU only usually solves most, if not all, of them.

-Using the latest build means that a lot of bugs and glitches that were discovered prior builds were addressed and resolved in the newer builds.

However, if someone else is reading this thread and you do not have a legal copy of Vegas, it will most probably cause your version of Vegas to stop working. I am not saying that you have a pirated copy but for those who have and are reading this, it could create the problems that you are having...and many others.

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 22, 2018 at 6:16:26 pm

"-Sometimes, rendering with GPU will create problems. There are so many GPUs out there with all kinds of configurations and numerous settings. Rendering with CPU only usually solves most, if not all, of them."
Thank you, that makes sense. I ended up rendering a single-pass at 50Mbps and with encoding set to CPU only and the problem appears to have been completely eliminated. I'll play with it more to try to bring down the size as it went from a 1gb render to an 8gb render *just* so a single color of green could be that single color of green...I find that frustrating and nonsensical but I don't pretend to understand at all the science of video rendering...

I'm still curious, though, does this mean that to correctly render footage from a modern 3D game I would need to go considerably higher with the Mbps? Or is that not how it works?

Return to posts index

Todd Visceral
on Jun 22, 2018 at 8:14:32 pm

Correction: The visual glitching still occurs but now on a later segment of the video. And, most odd...it occurs when I have my computer plugged into my smaller regular monitor (720p) but not when I plug into my TV (1080p). Also, on the smaller screen there is lag that causes frames to be skipped but on the bigger screen there is no lag whatsoever...
~scratches head intensely~
I'm going to upload the entire render to Youtube and then view it on several devices and see what results I get.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]