FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating smoothly curved track motion by using parent track motion along a Y axis and a child's track motion along the X axis

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leibson
Creating smoothly curved track motion by using parent track motion along a Y axis and a child's track motion along the X axis
on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:51:01 am
Last Edited By Michael Leibson on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:51:40 am

While trying to find ways of creating smoothly curved track motion in Vegas (a very frustrating endeavour!), I came upon these interesting posts from 2013: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/how-to-pan-along-a-curve-at... .

One post, in particular -- that of Rory Cooper, on 8/23/2013, 4:54 AM -- offered this ingenious technique:
On track motion select x motion only = endpoint and start point
Make a parent for this track = parent track y motion only = 3 keys ,start,middle end. = all keys linear 100

I find that this does work, but there is one factor that I don't understand, and I wonder if someone can enlighten me:

In my project, the content of my track is a small mask. When I duplicate that track to create the parent track (on which I create the parent track motion along the Y axis), I end up with two masks that move : yes, I achieve that smoothly curved track motion, but I also end up with two masks, each moving separately.

When I use the parent track's Pan & Crop to move the mask permanently outside the screen area, the problem is solved, but something tells me that this shouldn't be necessary.

What am I missing?

Thanks, in advance, for any tips you'd care to share!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Creating smoothly curved track motion by using parent track motion along a Y axis and a child's track motion along the X axis
on Jun 16, 2018 at 2:53:29 am

[Michael Leibson] "What am I missing?"
Lol, what I’m missing is a Video to get my head around the issues. Can you post, somewhere, a short video? Also post the Project VEG for scrutiny. That would help.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
Re: Creating smoothly curved track motion by using parent track motion along a Y axis and a child's track motion along the X axis
on Jun 16, 2018 at 10:01:18 am

Grazie, Grazie : - ) In fact, wasn't that you who had also posted in that 2013 vegas post?

I've made a quick, rough video of what I've been trying to do -- first in a more complicated way, and then according to the technique described in that 2013 post (ie, using only X-axis movement - via only track motion - in the main track, and then only Y-axis movement - via parent motion - in a parent track): https://ln.sync.com/dl/44baffab0/zv7k4y57-2r8v2n7g-zy67psqs-3ys7dp9g (This link will only be active for a few days.)

My apologies for my rough presentation!

Thanks for your offer to help!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 16, 2018 at 11:15:27 am

[Michael Leibson] "In fact, wasn't that you who had also posted in that 2013 vegas post?"
Yup, now I’ve read it I remember it well. The Maths and the Script points generation left me in their dust! But here you’re asking for a solution to something else.

My only feedback there was the option to use a Combo of Parent VERTICAL motion in conjunction with the Horizontal CHILD motion to generate a Curve. And am I correct that’s what you’re doing here? Yes?

However, you’re discovering some oscillation in the Vertical Axis requiring/needing you to nullify this by STARTING the PARENT VERTICAL outside of the Pan/Crop Frame. Is that correct? And you want/wish to know how you don’t have to use your Workaround? Am I correct in understanding you?

Grazie! 😎

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:02:47 pm

O...K...

I've just refreshed my Brain Cell about this, by duplicating my instructions in Vp15: You don't need to DUPLICATE your Event on the Parent Track. Just put in an EMPTY Event and the instructions you make for the Parent WILL influence the Child Track too.

I'm thinking that your Parent Event is interacting with the Child Track.

G

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:42:11 pm

Thank-you, Graham, for giving of your time on this -- I really appreciate it!

You're completely correct -- this is exactly what I'm trying to do.

Now for a really dumb question (I am a complete beginner at this, trying to figure things out on the fly): how does one create an empty event on that parent track (or, for that matter, on any track)?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jun 16, 2018 at 12:51:10 pm

[Michael Leibson] "Now for a really dumb question"
Not at all. What would be dumb would be if you didn’t ask. 😉

Right click on Track and select Insert Empty Event.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on Jun 16, 2018 at 1:06:04 pm

Thanks, Graham -- you've been a great help! : - )

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]