FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some videos can't be imported to Sony Vegas Pro 13 when I could formerly

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dhanen Moteuchi
Some videos can't be imported to Sony Vegas Pro 13 when I could formerly
on Jun 1, 2018 at 1:02:02 am

Well, there's no more to say, it's all said on the subject. I am trying to import a video (mp4 format) to Sony Vegas Pro 13, the very same mp4 video that I could use before I reinstalled the whole OS (Windows 10) last month. I already installed Quick Time 7.7.6, last version of K-lite codec pack. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Some videos can't be imported to Sony Vegas Pro 13 when I could formerly
on Jun 1, 2018 at 9:50:45 am

Soo.. Can the evil videos be opened in Quicktime? Or Win Media Player? Is there a copy of Gspot available to see which codecs are used to read file?
Russ

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jun 1, 2018 at 10:42:31 am

Hi Dhanen

3rd party codecs packs are notorious for creating havoc with NLE software. Uninstall and make sure that there are no remnants of those packs. If you must have them, install them on another computer

As Russ mentioned, can you play those clips with a ''regular'' player ?

MediaInfo on your file(s) would help.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

Cheers !

PC Win 10 Pro 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1
Blackmagic HyperDeck Studio Mini
Vegas Pro 14, User since Vegas 3.0

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 1, 2018 at 2:57:17 pm

Hi, thanks both to the reply. Yes, of course I can open that videos on other players, I have no problems opening them in any player (Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player...), in fact, as I said, I used them before in Sony Vegas and I hadn't any problem using them. I hadn't problems in the past neither using them and I had installed k-lite codec pack. Is there a particular codec I must uninstall?
I readed on other threads when I searched my problem that a possible solution was installing k-lite codec pack, but I already had it installed so that didn't solved my problem 'cause was the first thing I thought that could be the problem (I already had the problem before installing it).
Thanks again, and sorry for my english.

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 1, 2018 at 3:00:43 pm

I forgot asking, how I must share the Gspot so you'll see the codecs used on the file.

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 1, 2018 at 10:27:55 pm

Just post a screenshot of GSpot and is quicktime installed on the machine. Vegas uses Quicktime to access .mov files but Vegas does not use Windows media player. Also Third Party codec pack seem to rely heavily on ffmpeg and may replace the sony versions of the codec which was licensed and modified for use in Vegas. It is generally considered best practice to use the codecs provided and installed by the NLE editors authors.
Russ

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 2, 2018 at 12:35:03 am

I made an screenshot, on the right you can see I installed QT last month, as first try to solve the issue. On the left is a GSpot scan of one of the files that SV doesn't opens, telling "none of the files couldn't be opened" if I drag it, and "undetermined error" if I import it (it's something like that, don't know the exact error in english due my SV it's in spanish). It's weird 'cause I could do it in the past, before I reinstalled whole Windows 10. I had k-lite codec pack installed when I could. Maybe I should install another codecs for those files? Thanks a lot again.

PS: Note that the date it's in spanish format dd/mm/yyyy, obvious 'cause there is not a 16th month, lol. Just sayin'

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 5, 2018 at 6:13:34 am

Ok lets try VLC.
Open a video that will not open in Vegas. In VLC under tools menu look for Codec information. This will give the codecs used to open the file. The same can be done with quicktime. By the way do you have Quicktime Pro installed? If you do, then Quicktime can be used to frame serve to Vegas.

So once you know the codec used to open the files then comes the hard part of finding out if the codec is available for Vegas to use. Obviously the Codec is available on the machine or other players could not open it either. Vlc comes with it's own internal codec pack and does not rely on system codecs. That is why I wish to know what VLC says it is using.

Windows Media player can open the files, so the codecs are available. The question is in what order was Vegas and the codec pack installed on the machine that worked before. Was vegas installed first and then the codec pack? Or was the codec pack installed before Vegas. Was the order of installation the same in both versions of the Windows installation.

Either way, For myself were I faced with this problem I would first do a clean install. Uninstall Codec pack and Vegas using an uninstaller like Geek. There is a free version available from them here. https://geekuninstaller.com/download
Power down the machine to get a cold boot and reinstall Vegas and pray that it fixes the issue. Do not instal a codec pack. Also I like to have more than one NLE on a system so download Davinci Resolve from Blackmagic Design install it and use it for free. Hey you might end up like me and like it. I only installed Davinci Resolve as a backup NLE but now I use it more than Vegas.

Good Luck, let me know if this helps.
RF

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 6, 2018 at 1:02:13 pm

[Dhanen Moteuchi] "GSpot scan of one of the files that SV doesn't opens"

According to your screengrab, even G-spot can't even determine the codec, which is curious. You could attempt to convert the file using QWinFF into an MP4 format that Vegas should understand.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 5, 2018 at 1:55:39 pm

[Dhanen Moteuchi] "I already installed Quick Time 7.7.6"

I had the same issue. I would uninstall Quicktime 7.7.6, remove the K-lite codec pack and then install Quicktime 7.6.5 and if everything returns to normal, do not update Quicktime! My issue was with later versions of Quicktime and I have not had any need for the later versions.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 6, 2018 at 12:30:58 pm

Hello. Thanks both for the reply:

Nigel: I've tried with Quick Time 7.7.5 and didn't worked neither

Russ: I am attatching the capture with the codec. It seems to be simple MPEG-4 with AAC audio. Not sure why Vegas is not opening it as it is a simple mp4 codec, if I remember it well. I don't have installed Quick Time Pro, just the codecs part. I installed k-lite before Sony Vegas, if I am not wrong, but tried reinstalling it few time ago when SV was already installed. About using something else than Vegas, I am not sure if I would adapt to use a new program as I am using SV since years and I am very used to using it. About don't installing k-lite, that shouldn't give me problems reproducing some kind of videos? Problem was there without k-lite codec pack so I am not sure that could be a problem.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jun 6, 2018 at 12:54:20 pm

[Dhanen Moteuchi] "I've tried with Quick Time 7.7.5 and didn't worked neither"

I didn't say that. I said I had to roll back to Quicktime 7.6.5

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:25:33 pm

"Not sure why Vegas is not opening it as it is a simple mp4 codec...."

It is not a mp4 file ! It is a mp4v file !

Maybe it have something to do with the 3gp file format - are your footage from a mobile phone ?

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 6, 2018 at 5:06:55 pm

Woops! So sorry, Nigel. My fault. I readed bad due my damn dyslexia. I'll try it and I'll report the results.

Ole, I don't know neither why vegas doesn't opens it. Isn't file from mobile, it's downloaded from YT thru an app on my computer, but as I said I could open this same file in the past without problems. I downloaded converting it to the option "mp4 1080p High Definition (1920x1080) 3600kbps", the extension is mp4 even the codec is mp4v, but it shouldn't be a problem, right?
The only solution I found is download it to WMV, but I don't like it. The result of the render is mp4 (Internet option, changed to 60fps and some changes to the audio), the gameplays are captured to mp4 files and I don't have problems with those ones to mount the video.

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 6, 2018 at 5:15:56 pm

EDIT: The solution proposed by Nigel worked! Now SV is opening those mp4 files without problem. Thanks so much and sorry for my misunderstanding. Thanks all for the help, you're all great! I knew that if nobody in this forum could help me, no one else could! Greetings!

Dhanen

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 8, 2018 at 1:18:17 am

Hi again, first off, VLC has it's very own codec installed wich is based on the FFMPEG Codec and open source codec. That said Vegas depends on external codecs, that is why third party codec packs cam be installed and used by Vegas. A quick history about YT codecs. Way back when Adobe acquired Macromedia, Adobe informed the creators of the then defacto streaming media codec ON2 Media that their services are no longer needed. ON2 had developed a codec VP7 to replace the VP6 or FLV as it was generally known. Now Adobe decided to ransom YT for the use of the FLV code meaning an aggressive takeover of YT. Meanwhile the now set adrift company known as ON2 Media was quietly acquired by some catalogue company called Google. Google then did an end run and purchased YT for 6 Billion and with codec in hand snatched the prize out of the hands of Adobe. On2 media went on to create a codec in use by YT wich is marketed as webm. In reality webn is ON2 tect codec version VP 8 and is free to download. You can read more here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP8
The point is that installing VP 8 may well give vegas the codec needed to edit YT videos.

It is also true that an earlier version of QT 7 is needed on win boxes for Vegas to access mov and some mp4 files. Be aware that the owners of QT refuse to release a 64 bit version for any OS other than Apple wich in effect give the illusion that they offer a superior product.

Question: On the previous instal that worked, was Vegas 14 installed as a clean instal or was it a Vegas 13 upgrade. You know the point in time where MAgix refused to pay for the Main Concept Licence. It may well be that the missing main concept codec may have been used to read the files if the Vegas 14 install was an upgrade from Version 13. But that is mere conjecture on my part.

So if there is a burning need to natively edit YT files that are not H264 encoded but rather WebM then the following link will get you started. Pay attention to what you are downloading and installing. Follow instructions. And let us know how it turns out. I would instal it myself but I managed to get VP8 from On2 Tech long ago when FLV was king of the streaming web.

Here is the link to webm

https://www.webmproject.org/tools/
RF

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 8, 2018 at 5:52:27 pm

Good to know all that about the codecs, is pretty interesting. I have not much idea of actual codecs since I really readed not much about it since... 20 years ago or so.

Now seems it's working with that oldie version of QT, some actual doesn't work maybe for the reason you said about not supporting their products in another OSs.

My version of SV is pro 13 for 64bit and isn't an upgrade, I ever had this version. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Jun 9, 2018 at 12:52:58 am

so does that mean the problem is solved for now?
RF

Return to posts index

Dhanen Moteuchi
on Jun 9, 2018 at 4:18:42 am

Yes, that's right. It seems installing a previous version of QT solved the problem. Thanks anyway for the explanation, knowing more of codecs is great! Greetings!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]