FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone reproduce this Ron Scott tutorial in Vegas Pro 15?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Finney
Can anyone reproduce this Ron Scott tutorial in Vegas Pro 15?
on May 5, 2018 at 3:37:28 pm

I've tried for a few days to reproduce this Ron Scott effect - it seems like you could essentially "green screen" any locked off shot with a background (and no green screen). Wow. This would be so useful for a project I'm working on.
He's using Vegas Pro 11 I believe and I'm using version 15 and I've gone step by step by step through it but I can't get the text behind me!!! I've tried filming two different scenes but for whatever reason I can't reproduce the effect.

I'm sure any one of the experts out there could do this in a few minutes and say whether it's possible or not. His tutorial link is on the third post in this discussion (alternative to masking):

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/automatic-adjust-of-masks--...

If anyone could reproduce this and maybe even do an updated tutorial or even just tell me if it's possible in Vegas Pro 15???

These forums are AMAZING and I love the willingness to help advance the art. Much thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Can anyone reproduce this Ron Scott tutorial in Vegas Pro 15?
on May 8, 2018 at 5:15:54 pm

The most important part to get the TEXT behind you is the LEVELS adjustment... Alter the INPUT START and INPUT END. On mine I have BOTH at 0.000.

I assume you have done all the other advised adjustments

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 8, 2018 at 5:39:18 pm

John hi. Thanks so much for your reply. So you actually go it to work I take it? I'm not sure which levels you're talking about - there's the "levels" plugin and the "mask generator" plugin and the "media" plugin if memory serves - all of which seem to have some type of levels or other.
The big difference when I'm doing it is where I get to the part where Ron enables the "difference" key on the layer - his turns the background completely black and I don't seem to get that when I turn on the layer difference setting. It's a muted background but not completely black.
I hope I'm explaining this properly - I've used Movie Studio in the past and just upgraded to Pro recently,

Maybe I'll need to go through the whole thing again with some screenshots lol,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this,

Allan

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 8, 2018 at 10:55:14 pm

Ok right the levels plug in. Trying to do too many things at once.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 9, 2018 at 7:29:15 am

Hello Allan

The quick test I carried out to see if it works was to just use any background picture - as Track 2

In Photoshop I added a picture to the background picture and used it as the Live Action - Track 3

I did not at this stage use any video as I just wanted to see how it works..

The part to get right was the Levels FX selection as like you the text was not behind. I then found out that in my case I had to move the Input End slider to 0.00 which is the same as the Input Start Slider.

Hope this help, if not I can send you a Veg file with the media

Regards

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 9, 2018 at 1:23:39 pm

OK John, thanks for the update - I'm going to try to recreate it,

Allan

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 9, 2018 at 1:52:27 pm

I gave it a go again - I can't get the text behind the mask. I'm assuming you moved the Levels FX after you did the 2nd track multiply mode. I tried moving it after but the bloody hell text won't get behind the foreground mask.

If you want to send me the .veg file I would appreciate it. I'm baffled at this point,

Allan

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 9, 2018 at 2:28:16 pm

Hello Allan

I have just made another one with Live video. Bear in mind it is just in my PC room with no special lighting, etc, etc, I just turned around and used a cupboard as the back ground. ☺ but just thought that it gives you the various setting that I was using for it and shows it working.
Ideally you do need good lighting conditions for this to work properly...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2a62sjcqyludnad/text.rar?dl=0

Unzip this RAR in to a folder and open the Veg with V15

Regards

John

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 9, 2018 at 3:45:23 pm

John - here's what happens when I open your file - is this how it's supposed to look??

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 9, 2018 at 5:05:08 pm

NO not like that at all.. What version of V15 are you using.. I am on 311.

it is not perfect as I just did a quick version in my PC room with no special lighting, and only took about 5 minutes so more fine tuning could of been done,,,,,,,,, etc

I could play with some more settings but just wanted to confirm it does work and I don't have any quality media to have time to do it properly as have to do some more decorating for the " Management" rather than play.... .. haha

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgw8zlj7e19zs4n/my%20version.mpg?dl=0

Just rendered the timeline ( above link ) for you to show you it works ( sort of ) here on V15 311

Looks like you have an issue with the version you are using.

Maybe that's why you are not getting the result you are trying to achieve.. ☺

Can you send me the media so I can try and replicate?

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 9, 2018 at 5:48:00 pm

John - yes, that's the effect!!!! Lol. But when I load your files from dropbox I don't get that. This is actually driving me quite crazy, well Ok, that's not a drive it's a walk but you get the idea. I'm updating from 321 to 331 to see if that fixes it. I'll let you know,

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 9, 2018 at 6:19:17 pm

Ok, got the version numbers screwed up. I'm on version 321 which as far as I know is the latest version. I'm thinking that there's some "preferences" settings or something that is preventing this or????

I just loaded your file "as is" and it's obviously working for you but there's something here that's screwing this up somehow. But thanks for the grand effort - very much appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 9, 2018 at 8:14:19 pm

Hi Allan, it's a bit weird. You could also try my first test which was just use any Background picture for the background and then add a cut out object ( maybe a person ) to that background picture ( I used Photoshop ) and call it the Action picture

Then using those 2 pictures... track 2 for the basic Background and track 4 & 5 for the one you have added an object....see if you can get that to work. Don't use and video media.

Also, if you can send me a snippet of the media you are using then I can also check it here

Regards

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 9, 2018 at 8:16:59 pm

Ops I meant tracks 3 & 5 for the action.......but I guess you spotted that :)

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 19, 2018 at 7:16:12 am

Hi Allan ...Did you ever get yours working?

Return to posts index

pete baratta
on May 19, 2018 at 9:50:12 am

Hi guys,
Just reading through the thread and thought I'd give it a try. I used some animation instead of text
and it worked out fine...gotta pay attention to the instructions though.

It's only about 10 sec long but I have no idea how to upload it. It's a m2t file about 30 mgs.

I'm using v13.
Pete

Return to posts index

pete baratta
on May 19, 2018 at 10:55:39 am

Think I figured it out. Here's the link.

The mouse is substituted for text.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 19, 2018 at 5:07:40 pm

Hi Pete.. I also found it works easier with NON text. As you say, it is a bit tricky but after some experimenting you can work out what affects the layers with the media you have added for the " Behind " requirement.

I also did two" Behind" layers just to see if it was possible and it sort of worked out OK.. The lighting on the Video Media is a bit critical but animation is a bit more controlled..

Anyway...Nice one

Regards

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 21, 2018 at 7:04:55 pm

John, Pete - thanks for giving this a go. I've never been able to get it to work and as far as I can see I'm following the instructions to the letter. Maybe it's the footage I'm using? I've tried it with a couple of different shots but I'm at a loss - can you get this clip to work?

12404_p1050392.mp4.zip

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on May 21, 2018 at 10:04:13 pm
Last Edited By James Ollick on May 21, 2018 at 10:05:54 pm

Allan, I downloaded the rar file and tried it as I also have the latest version of VP15. It did not work until I played with the track FX on track 2. I played with the Levels Input Start and Input End, then it worked. See my settings below.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 21, 2018 at 10:34:06 pm

Thanks James, I'll give it a try again - seems awfully fiddly - I uploaded a file as well in a previous post with my raw footage - can't get that to work either. Frustrating.............

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 21, 2018 at 10:56:48 pm

ok, That's finally working. I'm going to try it with my own footage again - who knows maybe I'll stumble on it, thanks James

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 21, 2018 at 11:09:51 pm

James - Hi. I got John's test footage working and then I had a look at the compositing mode on track 2 - it was set to "difference" and not "multiply" - which is not what the directions say - but the effect was finally working. When I changed it to Multiply I couldn't get it to work again. Anyway I'm not sure that this is going to help me like I thought it was - back to the green screen. Lol

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on May 25, 2018 at 12:14:37 am

If you have not already tried Boris Fx with Mocha you can download a free trial. There is a steep learning curve but practice and watching the many tutorials on YouTube help. This is what can make your vision a reality.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 29, 2018 at 11:04:08 am

Hi Allan

I have been playing with this for a while and after many variants of test the main problem is the lack of difference in colours between you and the background... ( in the nicest possible words ) and unfortunately without good lighting conditions it is impossible to get a clean outline of you from the background.

Doing various tests with Multiple Masks and zillions of Key frames it seems the easier way was not to use masks but Key frame LEVELS and MEDIAN.

As you can see the results are poor but if you don't try then you will never know...

Could not find a away to embed a video.. any clues?
Anyway....was interesting...

Regards

Return to posts index

Allan Finney
on May 29, 2018 at 3:55:39 pm

John - wow. Yup, that's it. Thanks for the effort - the effect doesn't seem as "clean" as the tutorial but it's definitely working!!

Return to posts index

john bolton
on May 29, 2018 at 4:37:03 pm

Hi Allan

The Problem/ Challenge / Opportunity is the object difference between the background and the subject. haha
If I setup all the various parameters with Black and White, Levels, to get the Best clean Outline and then continue to do all the other settings including the Difference and Multiple Mask, Median, etc as If I was ready to see the end result and then Uncheck the Multiple Mask switch I get this which is the best I get with all the initial setting with levels, etc.. Here you can see the problem. No matter where I look at this in the whole timeline it is impossible to get a clean outline,, hence all the other issues and lots of adjustments and key frames...

Anyway was good for a challenge.. not sure if anyone else had a go.. haha

Regards

Roll on Green Screen...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]