FORUMS: list search recent posts

applying one pan to multiple tracks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Leibson
applying one pan to multiple tracks
on May 1, 2018 at 8:10:51 pm

I have four video tracks, one above the other, with each containing a positive mask that is made to gently pan and 'ripple' independently of the others. (I have three to four FX applied to each track.)

I would like to make the contents of all four tracks slowly pan across the screen in sync, while maintaining their individual movements and the relations between those movements. I know that I can do this by individually creating that panning motion per track, and then copying the panning key frames to the other tracks, but it would be so much easier -- and easier to coordinate -- were it possible to somehow 'group' the four tracks, and apply one slow panning motion to them as one group.

Is there a way of doing this in Sony Vegas Pro?

Thanks, in advance, for any tips you care to share!

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: applying one pan to multiple tracks
on May 1, 2018 at 11:20:04 pm

Create a .veg file with all 4 tracks and their FX. Save this file.
Load this veg file into a new timeline.
You can then use pan/crop or track motion to create the pan.
Should work.

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on May 2, 2018 at 12:08:52 am

Thank-you, Paul! I'll give it a try!

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on May 2, 2018 at 1:22:33 am

Hmmm. . . . The masks of the four tracks do show up as the one .veg file, after I save and import that .veg file, but their individual movements seem lost in the process -- the masks do not exhibit any movement at all when imported.

Since I am able to then create a left-to-right pan on that imported .veg file, the problem would be solved if I could figure out why the original pan movements, of each mask, aren't coming through.

Am I seeking the impossible, or somehow short-circuiting the operation?

Thanks again, for any insights!

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on May 2, 2018 at 1:43:43 am

Oops, I wrote too soon! The technique does work, after all: my computer just needed a lot of time to process things to the point that the individual movements showed up in the video preview!

Thanks again, Paul! This will really help!

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on May 2, 2018 at 2:23:51 am

You can also just render the 4 video track FX to an MXF file ( or some lossless format) and work with that in the same way as the veg file on a new timeline. This might load faster as you work on the project that the .veg file.

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on May 2, 2018 at 10:42:08 am

Thanks, Paul!

As you can probably tell, I'm a beginner at video editing, so please forgive my ignorance with these new questions . . .

1) I've been advised to render this project as a high resolution .m2t file, which itself takes a long time to create. Were I to save the .veg as an mxf file, would it later be renderable in .m2t format? Would it somehow lose any resolution quality?

2) I think I understand that this 'importing .veg into a new .veg file' technique works, in this case, because it preserves the original four tracks as positive masks, which then allows the underlying background image to appear wherever those masks do not appear. But would this still be the case were I to instead save the original file as an .mxf, and then import it to the new .veg -- or would the imported .mxf be totally opaque?

Thanks, again, for your great help!

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on May 2, 2018 at 2:49:18 pm
Last Edited By Paul Berk on May 2, 2018 at 2:56:31 pm

MXF is not truely lossless. But I doubt you'll see the difference as long as your MXF matches the original resolution. Just use the standard MXF template for your projects resolution. If every ounce of quality counts, then render to an uncompressed codec -- but that creates huge files, takes a long time and may not be necessary in your case.

I don't really know for sure what Vegas does when you drop a saved .veg onto a new timeline, but my guess is that it is rendering it to a temp file somewhere. How else could it work?

SO -- I don't fully understand what your doing with the 4 video tracks and the masks -- but rendering it to the MXF should work for the panning effect you wish to do. Best way to tell, is render a small section to see.

>> would it later be renderable in .m2t format?
Yes it would. MXF is a good intermediate format in the editor, but I wouldn't use it for a final output.

What is your final output? Blu-Ray?

Return to posts index

Michael Leibson
on May 4, 2018 at 11:03:10 am

Sorry for the delay in replying, Paul!

>I don't fully understand what your doing with the 4 video tracks and the masks

I'm creating a video to accompany a music composition (jazz/contemporary classical) online. The visual material for the video consists of abstract still images taken by a talented photographer, which I have manipulated in various ways to create composite animations of colour, form and texture -- the idea is for the visuals to poetically convey the emotional trajectory of the music. The 4 video tracks each contain one small, textured, coloured, and 'rippling' rectangle, that moves in a very small, non-symmetrical path. Together, the 4 tracks create a 'cluster' of such rectangles. Importing the .veg (or MXF) of these allows me to then animate those 4 moving masks as a whole, so that they follow a path (in implied 3D space) across the screen. Importing multiple instances of that .veg will allow me to multiply and vary the positions of those masks, and save me a huge amount of time (because doing this without these imported .veg files would mean creating detailed movement of many more rectangles, across a larger space).

>I don't really know for sure what Vegas does when you drop a saved .veg onto a new timeline, but my guess is that it is rendering it to a temp file somewhere. How else could it work?

Whatever Vegas is doing, it seems to be working: altho' it takes forever, I have been able to render the new timeline (that includes the imported .veg file) without problem.

>MXF is not truely lossless. But I doubt you'll see the difference as long as your MXF matches the original resolution. Just use the standard MXF template for your projects resolution. If every ounce of quality counts, then render to an uncompressed codec -- but that creates huge files, takes a long time and may not be necessary in your case. . . What is your final output? Blu-Ray?

Sadly, I am pretty clued out about these things (I'm a music composer, and only a beginner at video)! A more experienced friend has advised that the final output be Blu-Ray, and I am also rendering sections to that format, as well, so that I can get an accurate idea of how things are appearing. Re. your advice the MXF and an uncompressed codec, I think I should run your comments by that same friend rather than waste your time by asking you to further explain these things to someone of my unskilled level!

Thanks so much for your help, Paul -- I really appreciate it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]