HVR-MRC1 issue when importing
The problem I'm having is this.. I have 3 - 128GB Toshiba CF cards that I have used for a couple years. Performance has been excellent. I use 3 of these CF cards with 3 HVR-s270 Sony cameras recording onto 3 Sony HVR-MRC1 dockable CF card recorders. I just completed a continuous 2 hr, 3 camera production and all indications are the recordings went well. All CF cards have approx 28GB of recorded material in 7 files. All cards were imported using a USB3 card reader with the Recording Unit Utility (ru-util.exe) software. All imports seemed normal and all 7 segments on each CF card were "stitched" together resulting in 3 - 28GB M2T files.
This is where it gets strange.. When the 3 files are imported into Vegas 14, camera 2's MT2 looks like a 13 frame clip. Yet, it is a 28GB, 2 hr 28 minute file just like the other 2 clips. All 3 clips play in Windows media player and PotPlayer as 2 hr 28 minute clips. Only in Vegas does camera 2's MT2 file display as 13 frame clip. What is going on? I'm pretty sure the issue is the associated IDX file on the CF card. When I remove the IDX file from the CF card and re-import I get the 7 video segments, but when placed on the timeline there is always a glitch between each segment. That's why we use the ru-util import software. It supposed to seamlessly stitch those 7 segments together. BTW, same issue when I import using the device explorer in Vegas.
In summary. I have all the media from all 3 cameras. I am confident that I am covered. Most likely my work around will be to use Handbrake to convert Camera 2's 28GB MT2 file to mp4 and continue the edit.
But I would rather use the MT2 file without the lengthy conversion. Any ideas??
I've used the MRC1 quite a lot. Normally, I reformat the drive evertime I use it (which you probably do as well).
My guess is that you'll have to take the 2 second glitch "hit". It's probably better than spending a bunch of time trying to resolve the problem with a very old technology that had a hickup.
I used a workaround, made an mp4 with HandBrake and all is good. No glitches to dodge.
I did however chase the problem a little further and found the issue was with the 5th, 4GB segment within the 7 segments that made up the 2hr 28 min clip. It only displayed 13 frames when dropped onto the Vegas timeline. How or why this 21 min segment corrupted the entire 2hr 28 min recording will just remain a mystery. It was only corrupted when dropped into Vegas, in all other players it was fine.
On a side note.. I've used these cameras, and MRC CF card recorders for well over 10 years and never had to study the ru-util.exe and the file structure of the CF cards until today. Because it had always worked.
The mp4 I substituted looks just fine and I've already completed the multicam edit.
I also consider this technology very old. But, using the 128GB CF cards with the HVR-s270 / MRC-1, I am able the cover meetings, events, and musicals and record 9+ hours without stopping. And do all this with three HD cameras and still be under 500 GBs total. This very old technology has its advantages.
I use BlackMagic Video Assist to record off the camera's SDI output if my client doesn't want HDV. They generally don't know or don't care what codec I use as long as the final is 1080p MP4 or .mov.
Glad you found the solution Larry! It would have driven me nuts too.
I still use the MRC1 with my Z5Us when I need them as back up cams, or with my V1u at airshows (because of the 740mm lens). I'll use my X-180, and hopefully the Z190 going forward. The maximum focal length is close to the V1u on the X180, and the same on the Z190. Plus I can shoot in 60p.