FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 14 to Vegas Pro 15?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Koms
Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 14 to Vegas Pro 15?
on Apr 22, 2018 at 1:43:43 am

Been using Vegas Pro for years, versions 8,9,13 and now 14.
Is the upgrade to 15 worth it?

Thanks,
Ron

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Should I upgrade from Vegas Pro 14 to Vegas Pro 15?
on Apr 24, 2018 at 2:54:17 pm

It was worth it to me. I like to keep up and support Vegas as well.

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Apr 24, 2018 at 10:49:38 pm

I do too Paul. But, it there any MAYJOR changes that may be faster or, well something very good...

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Apr 24, 2018 at 10:54:40 pm

15 crashes a LOT more than 14 and 14 did more than 13. I am migrating away from Vegas because I need to work and render without crashes and failures.
As a whole 15 is better, as a program that 14. However, it isn't a killer upgrade.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Ron Koms
on Apr 25, 2018 at 6:25:11 am

Scott,
"15 crashes a LOT more than 14"
That's not good to hear. I hope they have updates often to take care of these...

Thanks for all the replies...

Ron

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
10-bit?
on Oct 29, 2018 at 10:33:01 pm

Jumping into the deeper end I'm now recording to a Ninja Flame in 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes. Sony Vegas 12 says it's 8-bit. It recognizes it at 8-bit. Hmmm. How do I move on from here? Upgrade? download something? or give up on Vegas all together? I'd hate to do the later.

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: 10-bit?
on Oct 29, 2018 at 11:44:08 pm

Hi Rick,

I also record to a Ninja Flame ProRes HQ and DNxHD(HR) 4:2:2 10 bit. You should not have any problem with these in Sony Vegas Pro 13, Magix Vegas Pro 15/16. I do not have Magix Vegas Pro 14, so can not report on it.

How do you know Vegas Pro 12 only recognizes ProRes HQ as 8 bit?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 30, 2018 at 2:36:27 am

I'm using Vegas 12 at this point wondering if the upgrade is worth it.

When I load a file created as a 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 file on the Ninja Flame, I load it to the timeline - Vegas asks if I want to set the project to this file's properties. I say yes and then check properties. It says its a 8-bit file. There is no selection for 10-bit. Only 8 and 32-bit. So that's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure if the upgrade changes this or not.

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 30, 2018 at 3:51:10 pm

Hi Rick,

In the Project Properties window, just below 'Stereoscopic 3D mode' and above 'Pixel format', is a line. What is above the line is what is 'Matched' to the source media. What is below the line is the options for processing and working within your project.

In ProRes 4:2:2 10 bit, the 10 is referring to 'bit depth'. In Vegas Properties the 8 (or 32) is referring to the pixel format. In the 'Project Properties' window at the top right if you click on the 'question mark (?)' the help file pops up. Scroll down to 'Pixel format' and read from there through 'Compositing gamma', which should explain it.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 30, 2018 at 6:02:53 pm

Thanks George.
That explains 8 vs 32-bit. But there is a problem:

just below 'Stereoscopic 3D mode' and above 'Pixel format', is a line that is entirely grayed out.
I selected "3D mode" and the line says something about crosstalk cancellation. I'm thinking there's no 10-bit selection in Vegas Pro v.12

whatdoyouthink?

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 30, 2018 at 6:16:23 pm

Well Rick, actually I try not to think to hard about this stuff because it gives me a headache and keeps me up at nite!!! And, in addition I have never done any Stereoscopic 3D, so have no idea what that means. Are you actually shooting with two cameras and two Ninja Flames to get the source required to produce 3D? If so, you certainly know more about it than I do, but regardless it will not have anything to do will 10 bit, only perhaps to be more specific that Matching Media above the grey line does not necessarily include the 3D stuff.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:00:18 pm

OK,
I'm not very good at explaining myself I guess. I don't use 3D

what I was trying to say is - there is no indication in "properties"that the recording is recognized as 10-bit.

I just below 'Stereoscopic 3D mode' and above 'Pixel format', There is no line. There is nothing other than the reference made to some 3D settings. I don't have a clue how to use 3D either but there are those who do.

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:39:30 pm

Hi Rick,

Well I don't have Vegas Pro 12 and my trial version has long ago expired, but there is a line above 'Pixel format:' in SVP 13, MVP15, and MVP16. But, to be more specific, items like 'Width', 'Height', 'Field order', 'Pixel aspect ratio', 'Output rotation', and 'Frame rate' should be the project properties set when you Match Media. Not always, but usually. Years ago I had some source media which did not match when I selected Match Media, but almost all the source media I have used does work with Match Media. Further there is nothing in Project Properties that specifies 'bit depth' regardless if the source media is 8 bit or 10 bit. If you use the 'Properties' window if your source media, there is nothing there I have ever seen that will determine if the clip is 8 or 10 bit. I use Mediainfo to determine the source media spec and it sometimes will not display bit depth, than a format that specifies within it's standards the bit depth.

By the way Rick, out of curiosity, what camera are you using with your Ninja Flame?

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 30, 2018 at 10:03:26 pm

Thanks for your response.
I'm using the Sony A7iii. Do you know something about this camera? I have a question about it too. There is a menu option for HDMI output to connect with the Ninja Flame. The highest resolution option is 2160/1080p - not 3840/2160. I'm thinking it doesn't output UHD.
whatdoyouthink?

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 30, 2018 at 10:39:01 pm

Thank You for the camera info Rick. I am not familiar with the A7iii camera (other than what I have read online), but if you have it hooked up, are getting a signal to the Ninja Flame, the highest resolution setting available from that camera to the Ninja Flame, will be available in the Ninja Flame setup. Even if that did not show UHD, I would place a call to tech support at Atomos. If you haven't already spoke with them, I think you will find they are quit knowledgeable on what camera will work at what resolution and frame rate settings. And of course, I would check to make sure the A7iii and Ninja Flame have the latest available firmware installed.

I'm using a GH4 and have great success with UHD and S-Log in HDR, although I record mostly in Avid DNxHR, I also have success recording ProRes HQ.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 30, 2018 at 11:07:40 pm

Hi George,
I have a GH4 too and love it. Never thought about connecting it to the Ninja. That could be done. I used the GH4 to record stage performances. It doesn't work that well in low light. Ah me. So I bought the A7iii. It has limits too I'm finding. If I saved my money long enough I might have been able to buy super duper camera. But then I'd be out of work.
Thanks for your comments,
Rick

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 30, 2018 at 11:18:11 pm

I'm already out of work (retired), but have a long list of cameras in including the GH5, Blackmagic cinema, a Sony, and actually I like 2 or 3 of everything! Thing is I only need the GH4/Ninja Flame combo for what I do and that is probably over kill, because a lot of it is action taken with a GoPro!!!

If you connect the HDMI with the GH4 and Ninja Flame, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results you can get. I understand the GH5 has better low light, but I doubt that is as good as the Sony 7 series.

Best of Luck.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
on Oct 31, 2018 at 1:03:38 am

I'm also retired but I shoot two pretty darn good ballets and a couple of other things each year. I helped shoot a full length movie earlier which was a learning experience. For that I used a Canon C100 with a Ninja Blade. My partner and I have always wanted to shoot the ballet in 4K. He's still working so he plunged into the Sony/Ninja world ahead of me. I had to follow. He's a bad influence.

Thanks for the response. Still not convinced I need to upgrade Vegas. I may be too old to take on the Premier learning curve but I do have enough time....I think.

Rick

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 31, 2018 at 3:34:10 pm

Although I have upgraded to Magix Vegas Pro 16, I have migrated over to DaVinci Resolve 15 (public beta). It does everything I need and much better and more stable than any version of Vegas I have used. It didn't come easy, as it has been about 2 years. I first started tinkering with Resolve 12, then 12.5, then 14 and finally version 15, when I made my first complete project within Resolve. Once I committed to learning it, it seemed to get easier and easier, once I got Vegas out of my head.

Still, I have used Vegas Pro a lot over the years, so I am only tinkering with it now mostly for giggles and grins I suppose to justify the time I have spent learning and now enjoying DaVinci Resolve.

Not sure what your delivery format is, but even in Vegas Pro 12, you should be able to take advantage of superior color correction, green screen, and composting using the 4:2:2 10 bit quality you get from the Ninja Flame and pass that on in intermediates like Cineform or DNxHD/DNxHR, and from there your favorite delivery format. Best of Luck.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Apr 28, 2018 at 11:37:56 am

I would say yes, but a few other users are really having it tough with Vegas 15, not sure if you would
have similar issues.... So the decision is yours.

I like 15, but often still using Sony Vegas 13.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Apr 29, 2018 at 3:48:01 pm

I cannot weigh in on the benefits of Vegas 15. But my experience with Vegas 14 has been overall excellent. I have not experienced the crashes that others are reporting. I do not use GPU acceleration. That may be the difference.

Return to posts index

Larry Brewer
on Apr 30, 2018 at 12:42:18 am

Just out of curiosity, I turned on the GPU acceleration and Vegas 14 promptly crashed. But before it crashed, the playback frame rate was greatly improved on the multicam edit I was working on! And it continued to crash..

So, looks like we can't have your cake and eat it too.

Return to posts index

Rick Kersey
How much is the Vegas Pro 16 upgrade?
on Oct 30, 2018 at 9:45:33 pm

So I've decided to buy the upgrade today. The advertised price was $249. BUT when I got to checkout it was suddenly $599. Gack. what is this? so thinking I must have done something wrong I went back out and started over again. This time it was $299 which of course is $50 more than advertised. I stopped trying. Not sure what this is all about but make me think I' should take my chances with Premier. Not an Adobe fan - yet.

Destiny Calls

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: How much is the Vegas Pro 16 upgrade?
on Nov 10, 2018 at 8:37:57 pm

Rick, I got an email the other day called Crazy November Sale with prices as follows:

VEGAS Pro 16 Edit US $149
VEGAS Pro 16 US $199
VEGAS Pro 16 Suite US $299

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]