COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Harrang
Nested projects render slowly
on Apr 9, 2018 at 8:25:56 pm

VP 14.0 (270) 64bit
Intel i7-6700k @ 4GHz, Win 10
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960

I need to ask for some help from the experts here. I am bumping into a very odd problem where nested projects make the renders slow down dramatically (e.g. 6x or more). This appears to be related to sub-optimal use of the CPU for the nested project renders.

Example:
Simple animation of a couple jpegs being 'dropped' onto a background, each jpeg in its own track with track motion and single keyframe to set size and random rotation of the image.

Project settings:
HD 1080-60i (1920x1080, 29.970 fps) -- "best" rendering quality and audio resample settings
Render-as settings:
Main Concept AVC/AAC --> Internet HD 1080p

Take the child project with the images and render it. Next create a parent project and import the child veg file onto a single video track and then render it. Vastly different render times (e.g. 36s vs. 3min 33s) observed and CPU usage for parent render is only around 30% (GPU acceleration of video processing OFF for stability of VP, but doesn't seem to matter anyway).

MY QUESTION - is this a known issue with a solution? Is there some obscure preference setting I am missing?

I'll try to upload the sample child/parent projects w/ media and provide a link ...
12338_projectswmedia.zip

Jeff

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Nested projects render slowly
on Apr 10, 2018 at 3:38:25 am

[Jeff Harrang] "MY QUESTION - is this a known issue with a solution? Is there some obscure preference setting I am missing?"
(You've got two questions there!)

Q1 : Yes, I wouldn’t say an issue, more the way that Nests have been developed for us Users to get to a creative-workflow outcome. Solution is to accept that Nested Files are really only PROXY files which aren’t the finished article/product. Don’t think they are, I had to learn/appreciate that too. Nested are great for editing and getting Previewing.

Q2: No. As with most of my Nest work, I get the “look” I want, smash it, and then produce an interim DI to get that included in my Project and just move on, because moving on is what it’s all about.

Nests are only Preview Proxies, they STILL need to be Rendered to be of any use for further Render workflows, which here means we take a time-hit in Render times. Here’s the compromise: Creativity<>Render Times. For me, I can mitigate against Render times by signing-off where I am in the workflow and produce an interim DI. Is it perfect? No. Do I still use Nesting when I see it could be useful? Hell yes!

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Jeff Harrang
on Apr 11, 2018 at 1:01:21 am

Thanks Graham for those thoughts, but I'm actually interested in whether anyone else but me sees these kind of render performance issues with nested projects.

I get that nested projects are proxy files and need to be rendered, but I fail to see why the nested project rendering should sub-optimally use the CPU. This just seems like a bug.

And I do understand the work-around of first rendering the child project and then importing that render into the parent project timeline (it's what I do to avoid the problem).

The link in my original post is to two very simple VP projects. Render the child project and note the elapsed time. Then render the parent project (which includes the child as a nested project) and note the time.

If this is just a known Vegas thing, then fine. But I'd like to know that it's not just something weird with my hardware or settings.

Thanks.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Apr 11, 2018 at 2:36:50 am

[Jeff Harrang] "but I'm actually interested in whether anyone else but me sees these kind of render performance issues with nested projects. "
I wasn’t sure you understood the Proxy thing, how could I? Now we both understand each other fuller, and as I am not a MAGIX Vegas Pro engineer, I’d strongly suggest you ask MAGIX Vegas Pro engineers your question and hopefully you/we can get it from them directly.
[Jeff Harrang] "If this is just a known Vegas thing, then fine. But I'd like to know that it's not just something weird with my hardware or settings."
Understood. I’ve reread this “issue” on the main User Support MAGIX Forum. And as I said, if you want a more directed response get to the MAGIX Vegas Pro engineers and ask them.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]