FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Scrambled" audio in Vegas Pro 15

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Smith
"Scrambled" audio in Vegas Pro 15
on Mar 24, 2018 at 4:09:38 am

Hello all,

When I import an MP4 into Vegas Pro, the audio, for lack of a better term, is totally scrambled - I can hear it just fine, but it seems to be jumping all over the place. It plays tiny fragments of two separate songs, plus unintelligible bits of dialogue from several characters all at once. I know the audio is there - the file plays just fine in VLC - but I have two channels that act up like this and two more channels that are almost totally mute except for weird blips and scratching noises every now and then. I tried disabling "SO4 Compound Reader" as I've seen people suggest online, but I really wanted to be able to minimize the background music while boosting the dialogue, or vice versa, and I can't do that without the separate audio channels.

Here's a small video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Boixe34OGl0

Is there something wrong with the file, or is there some way I can fix my audio? I can't find any other video editing software that will let me see the various channels to do the editing that I'd like to do.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who has any advice!

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
Re: "Scrambled" audio in Vegas Pro 15
on Mar 24, 2018 at 5:56:16 pm

I noticed two things from your video. Your project media tab only shows the .mp4 which is your top two tracks. There is no media for tracks 3 and four. All the media on the timeline should be seen in the project media tab. If you moved the location of the missing audio files on your computer, Vegas will show a missing data window when launching the project. If you did move them, here's where you can tell Vegas where they are now, then save the project. Also your play head doesn't move past a small amount of time and repeats. Try moving your loop points to encompass the whole song. That's the little yellow triangles at the top of the timeline. It should show one at the beginning and another at the end of the song with a yellow line between them.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Mar 24, 2018 at 6:04:04 pm

Oops. There's is another problem. The counter is counting way hire that where your play head is going. Does this happen with other projects? If not, Open a new one and re-add the media, just the mp4 first and see if that alone plays normal, then other media file at a time testing it by playing it.

Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Liz Smith
on Mar 25, 2018 at 12:10:34 am

Hi Danny, thanks for your response! To be clear, there is no missing audio that was previously imported for tracks 3 & 4. I opened a new file, tried to import and then drag this entire video to my timeline, and then this happened. I didn't add any songs yet - all the audio you hear comes from various places in the video itself, all mixed up. Sorry for the confusion!

I imported other MP4s and they work just fine! (And, to be fair, the video in these files work just fine too.) However, those other MP4s only use one audio track. If I disable "SO4 Compound Reader" I can get this file to use a single audio track, too. But it's a high-quality file of a TV episode where at least one of the tracks should be mostly background noise/dialogue while another should be mostly background music/score. What I'd like to do is "turn off" or minimize the musics part of the episode so I can get just the sounds, and make it into a music video of my own that includes dialogue and sound effects, without the original music from the show clashing in the background...which I obviously can't do with the audio all messed up!

For lower quality MP4s with just one native audio track, there's no problem, Vegas functions just fine and the sailing is perfectly smooth. It only becomes an issue with these ones that natively come with more than one. And, again, the audio for them plays PERFECTLY in my media players during normal playback, so it's not screwed up for the entire file, just when I import it into Vegas.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the counter, but I didn't notice any issues with any other files. (If it matters, I didn't start that file quite from the beginning - I believe by sheer happenstance it was a few seconds in during my recording.)

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Mar 25, 2018 at 12:21:03 am

It sounds like this mp4 has four audio tracks since importing it makes four audio tracks. Try looking at your project settings, in the audio tab, make sure it's set to stereo and not 5.1 surround.

Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Liz Smith
on Mar 25, 2018 at 2:46:13 am

Yeah, I've just double-checked - it's in Stereo!

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Mar 25, 2018 at 11:39:29 pm

So if you open a new project and drop that mp4, to your time line, it adds those extra tracks?

Danny Hays

Return to posts index

Liz Smith
on Mar 26, 2018 at 1:38:29 am

Yep, that's the case!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]