FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximum recorded avchd file

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Maier
Maximum recorded avchd file
on Mar 22, 2018 at 2:17:21 pm

I've been recording long takes of performances/interviews, sometimes 25-60+ minutes long. Vegas seems to stop and record to a new file after about 23 minutes. It used to drop 2-3 frames, if any, but recently it's dropping as many as 29+ frames. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

I'm recording on a Panasonic AVCHD HMC 150 1080p 29.97 fps

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brett Hunter
Re: Maximum recorded avchd file
on Mar 22, 2018 at 5:27:32 pm

Hey Robert.

I used to work with a Panasonic HMR recorder at UNC Charlotte, hell of a great box, doing long recordings like that but at 720p60. The HMC 150 is still built off the idea of (X) number of gigs limit, which is a pain for the few frames you lose when it turns over to the next clip. The turnover was at about the same 23 minute mark. If the change in recording is noticeable, I would sometimes apply a very slight one-two frame dissolve to make it work. Occasionally the HMC 150 would have a hiccup, which one significant conclusion drawn was that the cards needed to be regularly reformatted before being used again. The 29 frame drop may come from that.

Are your renders from Vegas creating individual clips?

Return to posts index

Robert Maier
on Mar 23, 2018 at 2:41:40 pm

I discovered that the max size file Vegas allowed in my project is about 4 Gb. In the project I'm working on, it is becoming a big problem, because when it drops, it can lose up to 2 seconds! I remember in olden time that 2Gb was maximum. I guess newer camcorders don't have that problem anymore. What a weird limitation?

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Mar 23, 2018 at 11:24:35 pm

The problem is your cards are formatted in FAT32 which has a 4 Gig file size limit. Therefore a new file is created every time you hit the 4 Gig mark. There's no way around that as it's a limit of FAT32.

However, I combine the files after transferring them to the computer so there's no gap in the video or audio using the DOS command:

copy /b seg1.mxf + seg2.mxf + seg3.mxf combined.mxf

Naturally change the names and extensions to match your files and then edit using the "combined" file.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]